Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 07:47:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: (wait 10 years before posting an Answer) -- (Physics Puzzle) --
Two glasses of water with an ice-cube in each
From: lefl...@hotmail.com (leflynn)
 by: leflynn - Mon, 23 May 2022 14:47 UTC

On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 8:43:52 PM UTC-4, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> pls wait 10 years before posting an Answer !
> ____________________________
> Two glasses of water with an ice-cube in each.
> All the conditions are the same in the two
> (volume, mass, temperature ...)
> --- except ... one of the glasses has very salty water.
> Which ice-cube is going to melt faster ?

Please wait five years before answering the following questions:
I do not understand how two equal volumes of water one very salty and the other not salty can have the same mass.
Even if I just consider the water content, I do not see how the one with salt can have the same mass of water in the same volume as the one without (any?) salt. Can and will you explain?
Are the surface pressures identical and are they 1 atm? Are the systems are rest at 1G with the glasses oriented so as to keep the water inside? Are the two ice cubes of the same salinities as the two different waters or are they the same non-salty (pure water) consistency?
Are the ice cubes at a uniform temperature and is it greater than, equal to or less than 0C? How tall is the glass and how much of it is filled? How large is the ice cube relative to the glass? What is the temperature outside the glass and is it maintained? Or should we consider the ice/water systems in isolation?