Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 14:56:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: McCarthy threatened to shutdown; McCarthy prevented a shutdown,
McCarthy voted out as Speaker
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 21:56 UTC

Great political stories one after the other. Certainly entertaining.
Do such political stories constitute "Govern With the Consent of the People"?

What is the price of exciting political stories?

"“Most Americans would be shocked to learn that the majority of spending legislation passed by Congress is seldom read, debated, or even voted upon in person," Senator Mike Lee of Utah told TAC about the rush to vote on the continuing resolution via email. "To prevent any attempts at reforming this system, funding bills and debt limit fights are always pushed as critical emergencies, so that any legislator who tries to hit the brakes can be portrayed as selfishly shutting down America’s government. The half-hour we were given to read the C.R. was many things—insulting, unreasonable, unworkable—but sadly not surprising.”

“People just give us things and then are surprised if we don't like it,” Scott explained. “What they do is they'll drop a big bill on us so we have no opportunity to review it and expect a few hours later that we vote on it. And I think the expectation is that we're little robots and we're just going to go along with whatever anybody proposes.”

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/after-shutdown-blunder-mcconnells-leadership-on-unsure-footing/

Re: McCarthy threatened to shutdown; McCarthy prevented a shutdown, McCarthy voted out as Speaker

<b3921bd5-0b2e-4294-981c-6d6cd62ca630n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13648&group=soc.culture.china#13648

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 08:18:51 -0700 (PDT)
McCarthy voted out as Speaker
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:18 UTC

On Sunday, October 8, 2023 at 9:56:58 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> Great political stories one after the other. Certainly entertaining.
> Do such political stories constitute "Govern With the Consent of the People"?
>
> What is the price of exciting political stories?
>
> "“Most Americans would be shocked to learn that the majority of spending legislation passed by Congress is seldom read, debated, or even voted upon in person," Senator Mike Lee of Utah told TAC about the rush to vote on the continuing resolution via email. "To prevent any attempts at reforming this system, funding bills and debt limit fights are always pushed as critical emergencies, so that any legislator who tries to hit the brakes can be portrayed as selfishly shutting down America’s government. The half-hour we were given to read the C.R. was many things—insulting, unreasonable, unworkable—but sadly not surprising.”
>
> “People just give us things and then are surprised if we don't like it,” Scott explained. “What they do is they'll drop a big bill on us so we have no opportunity to review it and expect a few hours later that we vote on it. And I think the expectation is that we're little robots and we're just going to go along with whatever anybody proposes.”
>
> https://www.theamericanconservative.com/after-shutdown-blunder-mcconnells-leadership-on-unsure-footing/

Kathrine Gehl and Michael E. Porter, author of "The Politics Industry" looked into the U.S. political system. They conclude the following:

1. Washington isn't broken- it is delivering exactly what it has been designed to deliver.
2. The U.S. political system is not a public institution, but a private industry that sets its own rules.
3. The players advance their interest, not the public interest.
4. There is no independent regulation.

Results: The actors ... are thriving, but the people whom the system supposed to serve are never been more dissatisfied. There is no accountability for results.
The following from a Harvard Business Webinar uploaded to youtube:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS60RqaFS-o 6:52/1:00:32)

However, the book by Kathrine Gehl and Michael E. Porter is short on how The Politics Industry accomplishes the goal of maximizing the actors' benefit at the
expanse of average Americans.

The above quote from the TAC show the M.O. of The Political Industry. Namely, Polarization followed by the narrative of Emergency.