Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 06:11:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Rheinhessen,. Burgundy, Tuscany, Bordeaux, etc
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 13:11 UTC

Waygu burgers and a lot of leftovers Th, with the 2006 Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny, Fairly ripe, pleasant red plum and cranberry, a touch of cocoa. Good length and fun to drink, but I think time to drink up. B+/B

Friday an old fave recipe, Bobby Flay’s chicken breast with herb sauce, with potatoes, green salad, and the 2018 Chermette “Garants” Fleurie. This is pretty elegant for a 2018, there’s plenty of black cherry fruit (accented with smoke and anise), but it’s bright and lively. B+

Saturday Betsy’s sister and family came to dinner, and we kinda overdid the food part:
prosciutto/avocado canapes
Oysters with a pickled ramp mignonette
Fried squid, scallops, maitake, king trumpets on arugula with parmesan
Grilled rack of lamb
Angel hair cooked in broth/cream/porcini powder with mushroom ragu
celery/chickpea salad
Cal brought a Ottolenghi recipe cake -chocolate with citrus peel

2005 André Beaufort Champagne Grand Cru Demi-Sec
Oops. I thought this was the ‘05 Beaufort Brut, and was shocked when I tasted (till I looked at label). I put it away to serve at end of meal, but I just can’t get into sweet Champagne. For me this is a C+. others might find it more useful.

2018 Hubert Lamy “Les Frionnes” Saint-Aubin 1er Cru
Seriously lovely young white Burg, citrus accented with chalk, hazelnut, and apple blossom. Long finish with interesting but not overpowering oak notes. A-/B+

2016 Battenfeld-Spanier “Frauenberg Grosses” Riesling Gewächs
Taut, rich, not so long but good foil to the squid. B+/B

1990 Querciabella Chianti Classico Riserva
What a good showing for 31 year old CCR. Rounder than I expected, all juicy black and red plum, with light notes of saddle leather, earth, and floral notes. Delicious, though except for the leather it wasn’t super-Chianti-ish. B+

Roast black seabass, with salad and leftovers, and the 2010 Boulay “Clos de Beaujeu” Sancerre. This was a surprise from cellar, thought I had finished, glad I hadn’t. Full, rich, balanced, nervy acidity, with citrus, chalk, and light herb notes. A pointe. A-

One definition of good friends is you can invite them for leftovers. I was solo, and looking at 2 racks of lamb as well as celery/chickpea salad and pasta. Threw together a burrata caprese and grilled corn, and invited a couple who I knew had a long day (first day of jazz camp).

2020 Bieler “Sabine” Aix-en-Provence Rose
Pale, strawberry and pine, light and easy. B-/B

2005 Greysac
Still a bit of tannin, blackcurrant and black plum tobacco. Not particularly exciting but a solid cheap CB that’s still drinking well at 16. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.