Subject: Re: Voters reject spaceport plan long pursued by Georgia county
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 01:35:44 -0500
 by: bfh - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 06:35 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:

>     Has another election been stolen in GA? Is no election safe there?
>
> https://www.npr.org/2022/03/08/1085293095/georgia-spaceport-goes-to-a-vote-as-proponents-try-to-invalidate-the-election
>

> "SAVANNAH, Ga. — A Georgia county's plan to build a rocket launch
> pad for sending satellites into space got rejected by voters on
> Tuesday in a referendum forced by opponents who feared the project
> poses safety and environmental risks that outweigh any economic benefits.
>
> With all precincts reporting in coastal Camden County, unofficial
> returns showed a sizable majority voting to deny county officials the
> authority to buy 4,000 acres (1,600 hectares) for the spaceport project.
>
> Camden County officials who spent a decade and $10.3 million pursuing
> the spaceport seemed determined to fight on in court. They asked the
> Georgia Court of Appeals to prohibit certification of the vote as the
> county presses a legal argument that the election should be declared
> invalid."
>
> https://www.npr.org/2022/03/08/1085293095/georgia-spaceport-goes-to-a-vote-as-proponents-try-to-invalidate-the-election

Almost 10 years ago, I perked up when Musk had that site (and some
others) in his sights. It's only about a 2 hour drive over there - a
lot better than the 5 and a half to Canaveral. However, Musk soon
chose Texas instead, and at the end of that day going forward, I
literally deperked and quit thinking about it. The Camden County
commissioners should have quit then, too. They could have saved a lot
of money.

--
bill

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / Re: Voters reject spaceport plan long pursued by Georgia county