Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 11:13:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Josephine Tewson, 91, UK TV actress (Keep Up Appearances; Last/Summer Wine)
From: thatde...@yahoo.com (That Derek)
 by: That Derek - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 18:13 UTC

https://news.sky.com/story/josephine-tewson-last-of-the-summer-wine-and-keeping-up-appearances-actress-dies-aged-91-12676734

Josephine Tewson: Last Of The Summer Wine and Keeping Up Appearances actress dies aged 91

The wife of the late Only Fools And Horses actor John Challis, former EastEnders actress Debbie Arnold and British stage star Judy Buxton have all paid tribute to the "comedy great".

Friday 19 August 2022 17:41, UK

British TV actress Josephine Tewson has died at the age of 91, her agent has said.

Tewson was best-known for her roles as Elizabeth Warden in Keeping Up Appearances and Miss Davenport in Last Of The Summer Wine.

She died on Thursday night at Denville Hall, a retirement home for actors in Northwood, northeast London.

Paying tribute to the star, Carol Challis, who was married to the late actor John Challis, said: "Farewell to Josephine Tewson. John loved working with her on Last of the Summer Wine. Another one gone."

Former EastEnders actress Debbie Arnold remembered the "comedy great", saying she "adored" her.

"So sad we lost two wonderful people, firstly Bruce Montague and now two days later - Josephine Tewson," Arnold said.

"I had the honour of travelling the world and the UK with these comedy greats, ending up in the West End. We had such fun. I adored Jo," she added.

Montague, who was best known for playing Leonard Dunn in the BBC sitcome Butterfiles, died on Tuesday, at the age of 83.

The actor, originally from Kent, also appeared in the soaps Hollyoaks and Doctors and on stage in productions of 42nd Street and Funny Girls.

Sharing a black and white photo, British stage star Judy Buxton said: "So sad to hear Josephine Tewson has died. I can't believe it.

"A joy to work with in Last of the Red Hot Lovers along with Bruce Montague and Debbie Arnold. What a week."

Born in Hampstead, London, Tewson studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art before minor parts came her way during the 1960s, when she featured in shows such as Z-Cars and the Charlie Drake Show.

She later became a regular performer in comedy sketches on David Frost On Sunday and Hark At Barker in 1970, appearing alongside Ronnie Corbett and Ronnie Barker.

Between 1979 and 1982, Tewson starred in the first six series of the sitcom Shelley, playing the character Edna Hawkins.

As her television career started to wind down, Tewson launched a one-woman show called Still Keeping Up Apperances? in 2012 and toured across the UK.

interests / alt.obituaries / Josephine Tewson, 91, UK TV actress (Keep Up Appearances; Last/Summer Wine)