In this world, nothing is certain but death and taxes. -- Benjamin Franklin

interests / alt.obituaries / Uruguayan cartoonist Fermín Hontou (Ombú), 65

SubjectAuthor
* Uruguayan cartoonist Fermín Hontou (Ombú), 65Lenona
`- Re: Uruguayan cartoonist Fermín Hontou (Ombú), 65A Friend

1
Uruguayan cartoonist Fermín Hontou (Ombú), 65

<bf2ca41b-f8d5-4551-a42e-12b515ba704dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13999&group=alt.obituaries#13999

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 06:53:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Uruguayan_cartoonist_Fermín_Hontou_(Ombú),_65
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:53 UTC

I'd never heard of him, but his drawing style is quite impressive.

https://www.facebook.com/fermin.hontou

https://www.google.com/search?q=fermin+hontou+&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjpg7X-2u75AhVbsHIEHcNBDE4Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=fermin+hontou+&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIECAAQHlCWBljtEWDQFWgAcAB4AIABmAGIAa8IkgEDNS41mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=ChYOY-nWDNvgytMPw4Ox8AQ&bih=649&biw=1366&rlz=1CAJMBU_enUS1021
(photos and artwork - scroll down a bit and you'll see his caricature of Edgar Allan Poe)

https://www.elpais.com.uy/tvshow/arte/murio-dibujante-uruguayo-fermin-hontou-conocido-ombu-tenia-anos.html
(in Spanish)

https://sonorasonora.com/the-uruguayan-artist-and-cartoonist-fermin-hontou-ombu-died-at-the-age-of-65-tvshow-08-25-2022/
(translation)

Excerpts:

....Hontou was 65 years old and this week he had suffered a serious domestic accident, for which he had to be hospitalized. He was also recovering from an operation for hydrocephalus, El País learned.

Born in Montevideo and raised for several years in Melo, Hontou made comics and illustrations for various press media, including El País Cultural.. His works were also published in Jaque, Guambia, El Dedo and more, in addition to Brecha.

At the beginning of the 1980s, he lived for several seasons in Mexico, where he had a fermental period in which he rubbed shoulders with renowned artists. In Uruguay, in 1993, he founded the Caricature and Cartoon Workshop together with the musician and cartoonist Tunda Prada. He was a teacher.

....Hontou began his training in the workshops of José Luis "Pepe" Montes, Julio Alpuy and Guillermo Fernández, in the 1970s. He studied serigraphy and metal engraving at the Montevideo Engraving Club in 1991, and received a scholarship from the Camnitzer Studio. to train in photoengraving and metal engraving in Lucca (Italy), collects Efe.

Juan Carlos Onetti, Idea Vilariño, Gabriel García Márquez, Fernando Cabrera, Eduardo Mateo, José Mujica and even Luis Suárez were shaped by his pen, recognized nationally and internationally.

On social networks, several figures highlighted his talent and deeply regretted his departure. "In the newsroom we were moved by this news that we did not expect," they said from Brecha.

https://www-elobservador-com-uy.translate.goog/nota/murio-fermin-hontou-ombu-referente-de-la-caricatura-y-la-ilustracion-en-uruguay-202282523158?_x_tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc
(this one is translated, but I can't seem to copy and paste anything - check out what it says at the end)

Re: Uruguayan cartoonist Fermín Hontou (Ombú), 65

<300820221002321482%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14000&group=alt.obituaries#14000

Subject: Re: Uruguayan_cartoonist_Fermín_Hontou_(Ombú),_65
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 10:02:32 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 14:02 UTC

In article <bf2ca41b-f8d5-4551-a42e-12b515ba704dn@googlegroups.com>,
Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > https://www-elobservador-com-uy.translate.goog/nota/murio-fermin-hon
> > tou-ombu-r
> > eferente-de-la-caricatura-y-la-ilustracion-en-uruguay-202282523158?_
> > x_tr_sl=es &_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc
(this one is translated, but I can't seem to copy and paste anything -
check out what it says at the end)

Fermín Hontou, better known by the name with which he signed his works,
"Ombú", died this Thursday, August 25, at the age of 65. The
information was advanced by the journalist Darío Klein on his Twitter
account in the afternoon, and later confirmed by El Observador with the
illustrator's relatives.

The great of Ombú passed away. Fermín Hontou abandoned us on this
plane. But his gigantic work remains, his bonhomie and the friendship
that he spread wherever he went. pic.twitter.com/qhnIDwgyli

– Dario Klein (@KleinDario) August 25, 2022

Hontou was one of the main referents of caricature and illustration in
Uruguay. Throughout several decades of work, his illustrations appeared
in the pages of Option, Jaque, El Dedo, Guambia, the Cuadernos de
Marcha, El País Cultural, Brecha and more.

Outside borders, his traces reached publications such as El Ojo Clínico
from Spain, Fierro from Argentina and Le Monde from France. He also
exhibited his work several times in local and international venues. In
Uruguay, Hontou also founded, together with fellow illustrator Luis
"Tunda" Prada, one of the most outstanding collaborations in the field,
as well as a workshop attended by some of the leading names working in
the area today.

As El Observador learned, the illustrator was hospitalized for several
hours with brain death and connected to a respirator, until his death.

read too

Arotxa The irreverent stroke: the political caricature in Uruguay and
its limits in the voice of its authors

In an interview with Matías Castro for Dossier Magazine, the
illustrator and caricaturist had defined his style and his search
within art with these words: "Style is not sought, it is the sum of the
mistakes one has and what he learned. . I do not seek to be recognized,
because if you look you will see different things in each drawing even
if there is a line. I think you are what you can be, and if you don't
have John Lennon's timbre of voice, you can't be Lennon."