The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming dragon.

interests / alt.obituaries / Amanda Mackey, 70, casting director

SubjectAuthor
* Amanda Mackey, 70, casting directorMichael Rhodes
`* Re: Amanda Mackey, 70, casting directordanny burstein
 `* Re: Amanda Mackey, 70, casting directorDavid Samuel Barr
  `* Calvary Hospital, was: Amanda Mackey, 70, casting directordanny burstein
   `- Re: Calvary Hospital, was: Amanda Mackey, 70, casting directorDavid Samuel Barr

1
Amanda Mackey, 70, casting director

<c806efeb-e56c-4dce-8b6c-ec2a23ab4127n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14018&group=alt.obituaries#14018

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 14:46:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Amanda Mackey, 70, casting director
From: mig73all...@yahoo.co.uk (Michael Rhodes)
 by: Michael Rhodes - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 21:46 UTC

Amanda Mackey, the casting director behind such films as Best Picture Oscar nominee The Fugitive and A League of Their Own and who earned an Emmy nom for The Normal Heart during a nearly four-decade career, has died. She was 70.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/amanda-mackay-dies-casting-director-180233025.html

Her longtime friend and business partner Cathy Sandrich Gelfond told Deadline that Mackey died August 27 in her sleep of myelodysplastic syndrome, a form of blood cancer, at Calvary Hospital in Brooklyn.

Re: Amanda Mackey, 70, casting director

<teolap$5s6$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14019&group=alt.obituaries#14019

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Amanda Mackey, 70, casting director
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 21:54:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 21:54 UTC

In <c806efeb-e56c-4dce-8b6c-ec2a23ab4127n@googlegroups.com> Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2002@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

>Amanda Mackey, the casting director behind such films as Best Picture
>Oscar nominee The Fugitive and A League of Their Own and who earned an
>Emmy nom for The Normal Heart during a nearly four-decade career, has
>died. She was 70.

>https://uk.news.yahoo.com/amanda-mackay-dies-casting-director-180233025.html

>Her longtime friend and business partner Cathy Sandrich Gelfond told
>Deadline that Mackey died August 27 in her sleep of myelodysplastic
>syndrome, a form of blood cancer, at Calvary Hospital in Brooklyn.

sidenote: Calvary Hospital (originally in the Bronx) was/is pretty
much the leader in establishing end of life "hospice" care. So
yeah, there's that...

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Amanda Mackey, 70, casting director

<pvOcnXD9z62beZL-nZ2dnZfqnPrNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14022&group=alt.obituaries#14022

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
From: dsb...@mindspring.com (David Samuel Barr)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 18:43:16 -0400
 by: David Samuel Barr - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 22:43 UTC

On 8/31/2022 5:54 PM, danny burstein wrote:
> In <c806efeb-e56c-4dce-8b6c-ec2a23ab4127n@googlegroups.com> Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2002@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Amanda Mackey, the casting director behind such films as Best Picture
>> Oscar nominee The Fugitive and A League of Their Own and who earned an
>> Emmy nom for The Normal Heart during a nearly four-decade career, has
>> died. She was 70.
>
>> https://uk.news.yahoo.com/amanda-mackay-dies-casting-director-180233025.html
>
>> Her longtime friend and business partner Cathy Sandrich Gelfond told
>> Deadline that Mackey died August 27 in her sleep of myelodysplastic
>> syndrome, a form of blood cancer, at Calvary Hospital in Brooklyn.
>
> sidenote: Calvary Hospital (originally in the Bronx) was/is pretty
> much the leader in establishing end of life "hospice" care. So
> yeah, there's that...

Calvary is still headquartered in the Bronx;
the Brooklyn hospital is one of their four
campuses, the others being in Bayside (Queens)
and Manhattan. Five years ago tomorrow my
mother died in the Manhattan one, which
ironically is named for the wife of one of
my father's late law firm partners.

Calvary Hospital, was: Amanda Mackey, 70, casting director

<teota7$42n$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14023&group=alt.obituaries#14023

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Calvary Hospital, was: Amanda Mackey, 70, casting director
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 00:10:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 00:10 UTC

In <pvOcnXD9z62beZL-nZ2dnZfqnPrNnZ2d@earthlink.com> David Samuel Barr <dsbarr@mindspring.com> writes:

[snip]
>> sidenote: Calvary Hospital (originally in the Bronx) was/is pretty
>> much the leader in establishing end of life "hospice" care. So
>> yeah, there's that...

>Calvary is still headquartered in the Bronx;
>the Brooklyn hospital is one of their four
>campuses, the others being in Bayside (Queens)
>and Manhattan. Five years ago tomorrow my
>mother died in the Manhattan one, which
>ironically is named for the wife of one of
>my father's late law firm partners.

First, of course, all of our sympathies.

Second is yeah, I should have added the
word "originally *just* in the Bronx"...

Calvary also offers offsite, so to speak, services.

A super serious tip of the hat to everyone who
works in hospice environments.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Calvary Hospital, was: Amanda Mackey, 70, casting director

<55ScnUiN-P_CnY3-nZ2dnZfqnPrNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14024&group=alt.obituaries#14024

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
From: dsb...@mindspring.com (David Samuel Barr)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 20:44:13 -0400
 by: David Samuel Barr - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 00:44 UTC

On 8/31/2022 8:10 PM, danny burstein wrote:
> In <pvOcnXD9z62beZL-nZ2dnZfqnPrNnZ2d@earthlink.com> David Samuel Barr <dsbarr@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
>>> sidenote: Calvary Hospital (originally in the Bronx) was/is pretty
>>> much the leader in establishing end of life "hospice" care. So
>>> yeah, there's that...
>
>> Calvary is still headquartered in the Bronx;
>> the Brooklyn hospital is one of their four
>> campuses, the others being in Bayside (Queens)
>> and Manhattan. Five years ago tomorrow my
>> mother died in the Manhattan one, which
>> ironically is named for the wife of one of
>> my father's late law firm partners.
>
> First, of course, all of our sympathies.

Thanks, Danny.

> Second is yeah, I should have added the
> word "originally *just* in the Bronx"...
>
> Calvary also offers offsite, so to speak, services.
>
> A super serious tip of the hat to everyone who
> works in hospice environments.

Mommy didn't go into the actual hospice
facility until her last few days; for most
of her five-month cancer bout (after Memorial
Sloan Kettering quickly wrote her off and sent
her home to die) she wasn't at Calvary but in
my folks' pied-a-terre apartment on West End
Avenue with 24/7 aides. During that time,
though, Calvary sent a visiting nurse several
days a week who could best be described as an
angel from Heaven.