From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: RIP, Peter Eckersley, one of the Good Guys. EFF, etc. (fwd)
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 12:53:16 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 12:53 UTC

some Twitter notes:
https://twitter.com/bcrypt/status/1565867388741898240

just got the heartbreaking news that peter eckersley is in the hospital and may
not make it. there will be a vigil for him at 7pm in duboce park. if you want
to share a story about him, please let me know.

yan
@bcrypt
11h
Replying to
@bcrypt
peter, among other things, was my first boss at EFF and gave me a chance in
cybersecurity when nobody else did. he was the mastermind behind HTTPS
Everywhere and Let's Encrypt. few people have had such a positive impact on the
Internet in so little time

yan
@bcrypt
11h
not to mention privacy badger, panopticlick, and SSL observatory. in addition
to being the visionary force behind all these projects, peter was a generous
friend and let me stay in his house on short notice when i was going through
some stuff.

alternately laughing and crying at all the Peter stories that everyone is
sharing tonight

here's mine: peter was SO good at getting peeved that i secretly made a parody
account @PeevedPeter
with actual things he said at @EFF
the pfp is him complaining about something to RMS

yan
@bcrypt
8h
peter has just passed away. there are no words
dannyb@panix.com

Re: RIP, Peter Eckersley, one of the Good Guys. EFF, etc. (fwd)

<a03d2a68-749c-48b9-ab68-2f6c8c438a5fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14084&group=alt.obituaries#14084

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 05:56:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: thatde...@yahoo.com (That Derek)
 by: That Derek - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 12:56 UTC

>> one of the Good Guys

Sorry, I don't remember him. I do recall Bob Denver and Herb Edelman, though.

Re: RIP, Peter Eckersley, one of the Good Guys. EFF, etc. (fwd)

<3b5a714b-fc3a-4cb8-9e64-9b4f6e135aa2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14086&group=alt.obituaries#14086

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 14:49:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: bigmongo...@gmail.com (Big Mongo)
 by: Big Mongo - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 21:49 UTC

On Saturday, September 3, 2022 at 8:56:41 AM UTC-4, That Derek wrote:
> >> one of the Good Guys
>
> Sorry, I don't remember him. I do recall Bob Denver and Herb Edelman, though.

Let me hit you with the clue stick....

https://www.thetechoutlook.com/news/current-affairs/peter-eckersley-the-founder-of-lets-encrypt-has-left-the-tech-industry-in-tears/

Today, On 3rd September 2022 Peter Eckersley died a very sudden death, the reason for it unknown. He had contributed a lot in the field of technology. He helped begin the resistance to the SOPA/PIPA internet blacklist legislation in addition to carrying out the first controlled tests to show that Comcast was using fake reset packets to obstruct P2P protocols. Peter Eckersley was a University of Melbourne Ph.D. in Computer Science and Law.

Peter Eckersley was the director of computer science at the Electronic Frontier Foundation. Among the privacy and security efforts he has worked on with the EFF are Panopticlick, HTTPS Everywhere, the SSL Observatory, Let’s Encrypt CA, and the latter two. In this capacity, he also fought to keep modern computing platforms open and established a campaign for open wireless networks.

Peter Eckersley formerly conducted research, created policies, and served in leadership positions about challenges with AI ethics, security, and privacy. He was the Chief Scientist and co-founder of the AI Objectives Institute, a recently established non-profit organization devoted to studying artificial intelligence and transforming capitalism. Peter used to serve as the principal computer scientist at the Electronic Frontier Foundation for a long time. Additionally, he served as a visiting senior fellow at OpenAI and the first director of research for the Partnership on AI.

Peter’s work on AI policy has been focused on establishing sensible regulations for risky machine learning applications like recidivism prediction, autonomous vehicles, cybersecurity, and military applications. He was also interested in gauging the state of the field as a whole. His technical initiatives included examining the need for and function of uncertainty in the ethical goals of strong optimizing systems evaluating calibration and overconfidence in big language models and creating SafeLife, a benchmark environment for reinforcement learning safety.

Peter organized the stop-covid.tech group during the COVID-19 pandemic, provided guidance to numerous organizations working on privacy-preserving digital contact tracing and exposure notification, and assisted with a number of strategic plans for COVID mitigation. Along with these notable projects, Peter also cofounded or [co]created Let’s Encrypt, Certbot, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, and Panopticlick.