Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:05:40 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
Subject: Starlink Availability Map
 by: kmiller - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 02:05 UTC

Of course, not available here, yet.

https://www.starlink.com/map

Re: Starlink Availability Map

<2yu0K.483231$mF2.280630@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14080&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14080

Subject: Re: Starlink Availability Map
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 22:54:53 -0400
 by: bfh - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 02:54 UTC

kmiller wrote:
> Of course, not available here, yet.
>
> https://www.starlink.com/map

Well, they're correct when they say the map is approximate, because it
says it's not available here yet - but it literally is.

--
bill

Re: Starlink Availability Map

<iJu0K.483233$mF2.250670@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14081&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14081

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:06:54 -0400
 by: bfh - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 03:06 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> On 3/28/2022 7:05 PM, kmiller wrote:
>> Of course, not available here, yet.
>>
>> https://www.starlink.com/map
>
>      That's an interesting map. It looks like the service is mostly
> available where no one lives.

It appears to be mostly available where the systemically
internet-disadvantaged people live - where there is little or no cable
or fiber. That seems fair to me. I allege that I think I remember that
Musk stated that as a goal - to connect the non-connected and the
barely connected.........not in those literal words, of course.

--
bill

Re: Starlink Availability Map

<bXv0K.297572$Lbb6.250328@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14082&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14082

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 00:29:58 -0400
 by: bfh - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 04:29 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> On 3/28/2022 8:06 PM, bfh wrote:
>> Technobarbarian wrote:

>>>       That's an interesting map. It looks like the service is
>>> mostly available where no one lives.
>>
>> It appears to be mostly available where the systemically
>> internet-disadvantaged people live - where there is little or no
>> cable or fiber. That seems fair to me. I allege that I think I
>> remember that Musk stated that as a goal - to connect the
>> non-connected and the barely connected.........not in those literal
>> words, of course.
>>
>>> If he filled out a few more of those hexagons on the coast that
>>> could become a useful service for me.
>>>
>>> TB
>>

>      Oh, I understand that and I think it's pretty cool. But, they
> carried it to an extreme here. One of the hexagons covers one of our
> favorite campgrounds on the coast, Cape Lookout. They don't even have
> cell service out there. But, except for the campgrounds, a few hiking
> trails and a very small number of houses, almost the entire hexagon is
> on the ocean. There are 3 hexagons in the Tillamook state forest that
> don't have any towns, but they might service a nice little county
> campground out there that also doesn't have cell service. Add another
> odd hexagon here or there and it might be worth doing for me.

Meanwhile, you might want to look into what's happening with mobile
Starlink. Last time I checked, you couldn't just carry it with you,
and set up wherever you happened to be - but I think that was in the
plans.

--
bill

Re: Starlink Availability Map

<IzG0K.551509$oF2.371744@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14083&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14083

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: fta...@gmail.com (Frank Tabor)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:35:52 -0400
 by: Frank Tabor - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 16:35 UTC

https://satellitemap.space/?constellation=starlink