Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 09:08:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Semi-OT: Polish 17th-century female "vampire" discovered - very amusing
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 16:08 UTC

But what's not amusing is the bad grammar. What is so hard about remembering what your teacher taught you - or remembering that even if you THINK you know all the rules already, it doesn't hurt to read a book or two on grammar?

I refer to the misuse of "laying."

"Archeologists discovered a 17th-century Polish 'vampire' with a sickle across her neck meant to prevent a return from the dead"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/archeologists-discovered-a-17th-century-polish-vampire-with-a-sickle-across-her-neck-meant-to-prevent-a-return-from-the-dead/ar-AA11r9io?ocid=a2hs&li=BBnbfcL

....if the deceased had tried to get up… the head would have been cut off or injured," Poliński told the Daily Mail...

...."Other ways to protect against the return of the dead include cutting off the head or legs, placing the deceased face down to bite into the ground, burning them, and smashing them with a stone," Poliński told the New York Post.

Though other common anti-vampire burial methods included a metal rod hammered through the skeleton, the remains in Poland were found with the sickle across the neck and a padlocked toe to restrain her.

The padlocked big toe attached to the skeleton's left foot, Poliński told the Daily Mail, likely symbolized "the closing of a stage and the impossibility of returning."...

Re: Semi-OT: Polish 17th-century female "vampire" discovered - very amusing

<tf3pg3$43e$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14100&group=alt.obituaries#14100

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 03:13:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 03:13 UTC

Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:
> But what's not amusing is the bad grammar. What is so hard about remembering what your teacher taught you - or remembering that even if you THINK you know all the rules already, it doesn't hurt to read a book or two on grammar?
>
> I refer to the misuse of "laying."
>
> "Archeologists discovered a 17th-century Polish 'vampire' with a sickle across her neck meant to prevent a return from the dead"
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/archeologists-discovered-a-17th-century-polish-vampire-with-a-sickle-across-her-neck-meant-to-prevent-a-return-from-the-dead/ar-AA11r9io?ocid=a2hs&li=BBnbfcL
>

> ...if the deceased had tried to get up? the head would have been cut off or injured," Poli?ski told the Daily Mail...
>
> ..."Other ways to protect against the return of the dead include cutting off the head or legs, placing the deceased face down to bite into the ground, burning them, and smashing them with a stone," Poli?ski told the New York Post.
>
> Though other common anti-vampire burial methods included a metal rod hammered through the skeleton, the remains in Poland were found with the sickle across the neck and a padlocked toe to restrain her.
>
> The padlocked big toe attached to the skeleton's left foot, Poli?ski told the Daily Mail, likely symbolized "the closing of a stage and the impossibility of returning."...

It's an essential difference between the common folk wisdom
of Eastern and Western Europe.
In the west,a body remaining free of decay for a significant
time after presumed death (quite likely,in either case,a matter
of someone in a coma being wrongly believed already dead) was
a sign of being a saint...in the east,it was evidence of being
a vampire.So if the comatose person awoke...

-=-=-