The groundhog is like most other prophets; it delivers its message and then disappears.

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / Re: Hey Kevin

SubjectAuthor
* Hey Kevinbfh
+* Re: Hey KevinFrank Tabor
|`- Re: Hey Kevinbfh
`* Re: Hey Kevinkmiller
 `* Re: Hey Kevinbfh
  `* Re: Hey Kevinkmiller
   `* Re: Hey Kevinbfh
    `* Re: Hey Kevinkmiller
     `* Re: Hey Kevinbfh
      `* Re: Hey Kevinkmiller
       `- Re: Hey Kevinbfh

1
Hey Kevin

<dI67K.24178$O01.12138@fx33.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14291&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14291

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Subject: Hey Kevin
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 01:30:49 -0400
 by: bfh - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 05:30 UTC

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1URGihhgbhqQ66PE1nskKUhwZTvibBDZV/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105875262482197039209&rtpof=true&sd=true

--
bill

Re: Hey Kevin

<Ute7K.41232$I_.17350@fx44.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14293&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14293

Subject: Re: Hey Kevin
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: fta...@gmail.com (Frank Tabor)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:21:40 -0400
 by: Frank Tabor - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:21 UTC

On 4/18/22 01:30, bfh wrote:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1URGihhgbhqQ66PE1nskKUhwZTvibBDZV/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105875262482197039209&rtpof=true&sd=true

Being satellite, I can understand the variations in speeds and latency.
What I don't get is the changes i IP addresses. 6 years here and the
onlytime my IP changes is when I change the router. Otherwise, the IP
remains the same for years. Even through reboots and power losses. The
same IP is always reassigned.

But, what's really important is how you perceive your service. Is it
mostly satisfactory or not? Is it better than the fractional DSL and
satellite service you had before?

Re: Hey Kevin

<78h7K.747461$oF2.719009@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14295&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14295

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:23:15 -0400
 by: bfh - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:23 UTC

Frank Tabor wrote:
> On 4/18/22 01:30, bfh wrote:
>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1URGihhgbhqQ66PE1nskKUhwZTvibBDZV/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105875262482197039209&rtpof=true&sd=true
>>

> Being satellite, I can understand the variations in speeds and
> latency. What I don't get is the changes i IP addresses. 6 years here
> and the onlytime my IP changes is when I change the router. Otherwise,
> the IP remains the same for years. Even through reboots and power
> losses. The same IP is always reassigned.

Not being an expert in Starlink, all I can do is give you the
variables that I know about:

First, I'm connected to the Starlink router wirelessly with an old
smartfone which is tethered to my desktop by USB.
Then:
Different satellites at different times.
Different ground stations at different times.
Possibly different POPs at different times.
I've rebooted the smartfone occasionally.
I've rebooted the starlink router occasionally.
I've rebooted the desktop occasionally.

Go here:
https://starlink.sx/
then click the cross in the upper right and set your home position (or
mine), and watch what happens over time.

The blue and green dots are sats, the orange dots are ground stations,
and the triangles are what I think are POPs. I assume that what you
and I see there is theoretical, because that site is not aware of my
starlink router, occasional obstructions from my pine trees or oak
trees, or other problems from weather and such - or even of the
rhinoceros on my roof:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_dgR0Eo2QoP4Vxt_vc7b6t7NcAaGdSA2/view?usp=sharing

And it also assumes that the person (not associated with Starlink or
SpaceX) who built that site knows what he's doing.

Also, I've selected which ground station I use for Ookla speed tests,
and I might be using other ones when I'm actually web surfing.

> But, what's really important is how you perceive your service. Is it
> mostly satisfactory or not? Is it better than the fractional DSL and
> satellite service you had before?

Oh yes! Even at its worst, it's 10-20 times faster than my DSL, and at
its best, it's about 100 times faster. Average latency - about 50 ms -
is about the same as my DSL. Latency on Hughesnet sat was 600-800.

--
bill

Re: Hey Kevin

<yoSdneewIcbcL8D_nZ2dnUU7-X2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14296&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14296

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:47:31 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
 by: kmiller - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:47 UTC

On 4/17/2022 10:30 PM, bfh wrote:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1URGihhgbhqQ66PE1nskKUhwZTvibBDZV/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105875262482197039209&rtpof=true&sd=true

Interesting. Thanks. I also read your response to Tabor. The latency is
not bad at all. Some of it could be attributed to your end point
equipment but probably not all. In any event, it's waaaay better than my
DSL and I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

Have you had many outages? Any that lasted longer than a minute or so?
Have to tried streaming a movie or such? Are you using the newer square
dishy or the round one?

Re: Hey Kevin

<D7k7K.747623$oF2.23555@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14297&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14297

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:47:31 -0400
 by: bfh - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 20:47 UTC

kmiller wrote:
> On 4/17/2022 10:30 PM, bfh wrote:
>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1URGihhgbhqQ66PE1nskKUhwZTvibBDZV/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105875262482197039209&rtpof=true&sd=true
>>

> Interesting. Thanks. I also read your response to Tabor. The latency
> is not bad at all. Some of it could be attributed to your end point
> equipment but probably not all.

Well, as near as I can tell, the signal has to go from me to the sat
to the ground station to the internet, then back to the ground station
to the sat to me.

In any event, it's waaaay better than
> my DSL and I'd grab it in a heartbeat.
>
> Have you had many outages?

According to the starlink app, I've had 2 minutes worth in the last 12
hours. I haven't noticed any of them, and I attribute most of them to
the roof rhino.

> Any that lasted longer than a minute or so?

No.

> Have to tried streaming a movie or such?

I stream movies and TV programs about 2-3 hours a night, and have had
no problems. I used to get the rotating arrow frequently with DSL.

> Are you using the newer square dishy or the round one?

I have the square one - but it's rectangular. Must have gotten too
near a black hole during shipment.

I'm as happy as a fox in a chicken coop. Or a possum in a dead cow.
Coon in a fig tree. Squirrel in RORT.

--
bill

Re: Hey Kevin

<yoSdneGwIcZVhMP_nZ2dnUU7-X2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14303&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14303

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 19:09:15 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
 by: kmiller - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 02:09 UTC

On 4/18/2022 1:47 PM, bfh wrote:
> kmiller wrote:
>> On 4/17/2022 10:30 PM, bfh wrote:
>>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1URGihhgbhqQ66PE1nskKUhwZTvibBDZV/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105875262482197039209&rtpof=true&sd=true
>>>

>> Interesting. Thanks. I also read your response to Tabor. The latency
>> is not bad at all. Some of it could be attributed to your end point
>> equipment but probably not all.
>
> Well, as near as I can tell, the signal has to go from me to the sat to
> the ground station to the internet, then back to the ground station to
> the sat to me.
>
>  In any event, it's waaaay better than
>> my DSL and I'd grab it in a heartbeat.
>>
>> Have you had many outages?
>
> According to the starlink app, I've had 2 minutes worth in the last 12
> hours. I haven't noticed any of them, and I attribute most of them to
> the roof rhino.
>
>> Any that lasted longer than a minute or so?
>
> No.
>
>> Have to tried streaming a movie or such?
>
> I stream movies and TV programs about 2-3 hours a night, and have had no
> problems. I used to get the rotating arrow frequently with DSL.
>
>> Are you using the newer square dishy or the round one?
>
> I have the square one - but it's rectangular. Must have gotten too near
> a black hole during shipment.
>
> I'm as happy as a fox in a chicken coop. Or a possum in a dead cow. Coon
> in a fig tree. Squirrel in RORT.

You lucky bastard.

Re: Hey Kevin

<pJp7K.423178$iK66.175591@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14304&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14304

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:09:08 -0400
 by: bfh - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 03:09 UTC

kmiller wrote:
> On 4/18/2022 1:47 PM, bfh wrote:
>> kmiller wrote:
>>>>

>>> Interesting. Thanks. I also read your response to Tabor. The
>>> latency is not bad at all. Some of it could be attributed to your
>>> end point equipment but probably not all.
>>
>> Well, as near as I can tell, the signal has to go from me to the sat
>> to the ground station to the internet, then back to the ground
>> station to the sat to me.
>>
>>  Â In any event, it's waaaay better than
>>> my DSL and I'd grab it in a heartbeat.
>>>
>>> Have you had many outages?
>>
>> According to the starlink app, I've had 2 minutes worth in the last
>> 12 hours. I haven't noticed any of them, and I attribute most of
>> them to the roof rhino.
>>
>>> Any that lasted longer than a minute or so?
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> Have to tried streaming a movie or such?
>>
>> I stream movies and TV programs about 2-3 hours a night, and have
>> had no problems. I used to get the rotating arrow frequently with DSL.
>>
>>> Are you using the newer square dishy or the round one?
>>
>> I have the square one - but it's rectangular. Must have gotten too
>> near a black hole during shipment.
>>
>> I'm as happy as a fox in a chicken coop. Or a possum in a dead cow.
>> Coon in a fig tree. Squirrel in RORT.
>>

> You lucky bastard.

If you're going to keep insisting that I'm lucky, I'm going to have to
insist that I'm not a bastard. For me to be both would literally be
inequitable and unfair to people who are only one or the other.

--
bill

Re: Hey Kevin

<9KCdnRZE6rp1jP3_nZ2dnUU7-bWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14311&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14311

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:00:09 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
 by: kmiller - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 14:00 UTC

On 4/18/2022 8:09 PM, bfh wrote:
> kmiller wrote:

>>> Well, as near as I can tell, the signal has to go from me to the sat
>>> to the ground station to the internet, then back to the ground
>>> station to the sat to me.
>>>
>>>  Â In any event, it's waaaay better than

>>> According to the starlink app, I've had 2 minutes worth in the last
>>> 12 hours. I haven't noticed any of them, and I attribute most of them
>>> to the roof rhino.

>>> No.

>>> I stream movies and TV programs about 2-3 hours a night, and have had
>>> no problems. I used to get the rotating arrow frequently with DSL.

>>> I have the square one - but it's rectangular. Must have gotten too
>>> near a black hole during shipment.
>>>
>>> I'm as happy as a fox in a chicken coop. Or a possum in a dead cow.
>>> Coon in a fig tree. Squirrel in RORT.
>>>

>> You lucky bastard.
>
> If you're going to keep insisting that I'm lucky, I'm going to have to
> insist that I'm not a bastard. For me to be both would literally be
> inequitable and unfair to people who are only one or the other.

Removing the option for them to achieve bothness (as you have) would be
even more unfairish.

Re: Hey Kevin

<UEW7K.600496$mF2.180445@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14314&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14314

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 12:37:08 -0400
 by: bfh - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:37 UTC

kmiller wrote:
> On 4/18/2022 8:09 PM, bfh wrote:
>> kmiller wrote:

>>> You lucky bastard.
>>
>> If you're going to keep insisting that I'm lucky, I'm going to have
>> to insist that I'm not a bastard. For me to be both would literally
>> be inequitable and unfair to people who are only one or the other.
>>

> Removing the option for them to achieve bothness (as you have) would
> be even more unfairish.

At the end of the day going forward, I disagree. Their having the
option, but failing to achieve it will literally do irreparable damage
to their self-esteem. I allege that adjusting the calculus and metrics
of the messaging to significantly downplay the actuality and
desirability of bothness would be more compassionate. It's The Right
Thing To Do. Particularly in this time when the significance of the
passage of time is significant.

58/193/15 @ 12:31 PM

--
bill

Re: Hey Kevin

<9KCdnRFE6rppK_3_nZ2dnUU7-bWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14322&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14322

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:44:22 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
 by: kmiller - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 01:44 UTC

On 4/20/2022 9:37 AM, bfh wrote:
> kmiller wrote:

>>> If you're going to keep insisting that I'm lucky, I'm going to have
>>> to insist that I'm not a bastard. For me to be both would literally
>>> be inequitable and unfair to people who are only one or the other.
>>>

>> Removing the option for them to achieve bothness (as you have) would
>> be even more unfairish.
>
> At the end of the day going forward, I disagree. Their having the
> option, but failing to achieve it will literally do irreparable damage
> to their self-esteem. I allege that adjusting the calculus and metrics
> of the messaging to significantly downplay the actuality and
> desirability of bothness would be more compassionate. It's The Right
> Thing To Do. Particularly in this time when the significance of the
> passage of time is significant.
>
> 58/193/15 @ 12:31 PM

You would abort their option to succeed even after their little hearts
have started beating bothishly. How cruel. Next, you'll want to remove
their options to learn to add bastard to lucky because you think the
count was achieved by reference to some critical race theory which you
won't even enter. Damn. That's stooping lower than a dead possum under a
fig tree.

Bothism now, Bothism tomorrow, and Bothism forever!

Re: Hey Kevin

<Xi48K.76206$e%.43131@fx36.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14324&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14324

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:36:20 -0400
 by: bfh - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 03:36 UTC

kmiller wrote:
> On 4/20/2022 9:37 AM, bfh wrote:
>> kmiller wrote:

>>> Removing the option for them to achieve bothness (as you have)
>>> would be even more unfairish.
>>
>> At the end of the day going forward, I disagree. Their having the
>> option, but failing to achieve it will literally do irreparable
>> damage to their self-esteem. I allege that adjusting the calculus
>> and metrics of the messaging to significantly downplay the actuality
>> and desirability of bothness would be more compassionate. It's The
>> Right Thing To Do. Particularly in this time when the significance
>> of the passage of time is significant.
>>
>> 58/193/15 @ 12:31 PM
>>

> You would abort their option to succeed even after their little hearts
> have started beating bothishly. How cruel. Next, you'll want to remove
> their options to learn to add bastard to lucky because you think the
> count was achieved by reference to some critical race theory which you
> won't even enter. Damn. That's stooping lower than a dead possum under
> a fig tree.

That's not so..........well..............I can stoop easily enough,
but unstooping is really hard.

> Bothism now, Bothism tomorrow, and Bothism forever!

Have you got a T-shirt yet?

47/79/5

--
bill