Well, the handwriting is on the floor. -- Joe E. Lewis

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceX

SubjectAuthor
* U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceXFrank Howell
`* Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceXbfh
 +* Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceXFrank Howell
 |`* Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceXGeorge.Anthony
 | `- Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceXDusty
 `* Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceXFrank Howell
  `* Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceXbfh
   `- Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceXFrank Howell

1
U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceX

<yrWaK.40152$JaS8.6389@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14430&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14430

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: fphow...@usermail.com (Frank Howell)
Subject: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceX
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 11:50:06 -0700
 by: Frank Howell - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:50 UTC

For the forth time. https://tinyurl.com/yydaa4l3

--
Frank Howell

Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceX

<TzWaK.19923$sdfb.755@fx41.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14431&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14431

Subject: Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceX
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:58:58 -0400
 by: bfh - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:58 UTC

Frank Howell wrote:
> For the forth time.  https://tinyurl.com/yydaa4l3

It'll be a pisser if Musk gets the Starship into a partial orbit
before ULA can even successfully complete a wet dress rehearsal on the
SLS.

--
bill

Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceX

<79801062-7410-60c5-8c2d-877a07ff1e65@usermail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14434&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14434

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: fphow...@usermail.com (Frank Howell)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:30:55 -0700
 by: Frank Howell - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:30 UTC

bfh wrote:
> Frank Howell wrote:
>> For the forth time.  https://tinyurl.com/yydaa4l3
>>
> It'll be a pisser if Musk gets the Starship into a partial orbit before
> ULA can even successfully complete a wet dress rehearsal on the SLS.

This is the problem when dealing with NASA's trying to save taxpayers
money by using 50 year old Apollo used space gear such as:
The first four flights will each use and expend four of the remaining
sixteen RS-25D engines previously flown on Space Shuttle missions.

So they decided to use antiques that cost $150 mil each once and drop
them in the ocean.

"The five-segment solid rocket boosters provide approximately 25% more
total impulse than the Shuttle Solid Rocket Boosters, but will not be
recovered after use."

The deficiencies of the Shuttle are far more then space allows here but
every effort to reduce cost of rocket lead to opposite effect.
And introduced risk!

--
Frank Howell

Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceX

<t4kfp8$4db$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14446&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14446

From: ganth...@gmail.net (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:12:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:D64N6P29/R4SHO01qkqfhm2MDIo=
 by: George.Anthony - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:12 UTC

Frank Howell <fphowell@usermail.com> wrote:
> bfh wrote:
>> Frank Howell wrote:
>>> For the forth time.  https://tinyurl.com/yydaa4l3
>>>
>> It'll be a pisser if Musk gets the Starship into a partial orbit before
>> ULA can even successfully complete a wet dress rehearsal on the SLS.
>>
> This is the problem when dealing with NASA's trying to save taxpayers
> money by using 50 year old Apollo used space gear such as:
> The first four flights will each use and expend four of the remaining
> sixteen RS-25D engines previously flown on Space Shuttle missions.
>
> So they decided to use antiques that cost $150 mil each once and drop
> them in the ocean.
>
> "The five-segment solid rocket boosters provide approximately 25% more
> total impulse than the Shuttle Solid Rocket Boosters, but will not be
> recovered after use."
>
> The deficiencies of the Shuttle are far more then space allows here but
> every effort to reduce cost of rocket lead to opposite effect.
> And introduced risk!

It’s the government. What else would you expect?

Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceX

<d964c23c-d5fd-3330-d022-40e18da878da@yahoo.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14452&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14452

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: fphow...@yahoo.com (Frank Howell)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:38:58 -0700
 by: Frank Howell - Sun, 1 May 2022 04:38 UTC

bfh wrote:
> Frank Howell wrote:
>> For the forth time.  https://tinyurl.com/yydaa4l3
>>
> It'll be a pisser if Musk gets the Starship into a partial orbit before
> ULA can even successfully complete a wet dress rehearsal on the SLS.

Not without a PEA from the FAA. The delay accordingly to the FAA is due
to additional paperwork from SpaceX.
That said I don't believe it.
I suspect the existing PEA was predicated on the BFR a modest rocket
compared to the Starship a much larger rocket and every bit of of it
reusable. With this kind of arrangement the launch cadence should be
very robust and very loud and a problem for the FAA to justify. Maybe.

Elon did say if the PEA isn't granted he would move the Starbase to Florida.

The FAA noted that completing the environmental review does not
guarantee the issuance of a vehicle operator license, which also is
contingent upon meeting FAA requirements for safety, risk and financial
responsibility.

The FAA is deciding whether the planned build-out in Texas poses a
significant environmental impact to the area - including an adjacent
wildlife reserve - and must therefore undergo a far more extensive study
before expanded operations at SpaceX's rocket production facility and
space port in Boca Chica can be licensed.

Even in a "worst-case" scenario, in which a full environmental impact
statement were required or legal wrangling over the issue threatened to
drag on, Musk said SpaceX has a fall-back plan.

The company would shift its entire Starship program to the Kennedy Space
Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, where SpaceX already has received the
environmental approval it needs, Musk said.

Such a move would cause a setback of six to eight months, he added. In
any case, SpaceX is still shooting for a 2023 launch of what it calls
the world's first private lunar mission, flying aboard a Starship to
loop around the moon and return to Earth.

https://tinyurl.com/yydaa4l3

An aside: many years ago Elon did offer to buy out residences in the
Boca Chica area. Was rebuffed IIRC.
--
Frank Howell

Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceX

<ZTobK.942107$aT3.794583@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14453&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14453

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 01:28:24 -0400
 by: bfh - Sun, 1 May 2022 05:28 UTC

Frank Howell wrote:
> bfh wrote:
>> Frank Howell wrote:
>>> For the forth time.  https://tinyurl.com/yydaa4l3
>>>
>> It'll be a pisser if Musk gets the Starship into a partial orbit
>> before ULA can even successfully complete a wet dress rehearsal on
>> the SLS.
>>
> Not without a PEA from the FAA. The delay accordingly to the FAA is
> due to additional paperwork from SpaceX.
> That said I don't believe it.
> I suspect the existing PEA was predicated on the BFR a modest rocket
> compared to the Starship a much larger rocket and every bit of of it
> reusable. With this kind of arrangement the launch cadence should be
> very robust and very loud and a problem for the FAA to justify. Maybe.
>
> Elon did say if the PEA isn't granted he would move the Starbase to
> Florida.
>
>  The FAA noted that completing the environmental review does not
> guarantee the issuance of a vehicle operator license, which also is
> contingent upon meeting FAA requirements for safety, risk and
> financial responsibility.
>
> The FAA is deciding whether the planned build-out in Texas poses a
> significant environmental impact to the area - including an adjacent
> wildlife reserve - and must therefore undergo a far more extensive
> study before expanded operations at SpaceX's rocket production
> facility and space port in Boca Chica can be licensed.
>
> Even in a "worst-case" scenario, in which a full environmental impact
> statement were required or legal wrangling over the issue threatened
> to drag on, Musk said SpaceX has a fall-back plan.
>
> The company would shift its entire Starship program to the Kennedy
> Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, where SpaceX already has
> received the environmental approval it needs, Musk said.
>
> Such a move would cause a setback of six to eight months, he added. In
> any case, SpaceX is still shooting for a 2023 launch of what it calls
> the world's first private lunar mission, flying aboard a Starship to
> loop around the moon and return to Earth.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/yydaa4l3
>
> An aside: many years ago Elon did offer to buy out residences in the
> Boca Chica area. Was rebuffed IIRC.

If I lived there, I sure wouldn't sell - I'd want to stay there to see
big rocket launches up close.

--
bill

Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceX

<02cab5b3-bc28-5cd2-4f88-b01c711fece8@yahoo.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14456&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14456

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: fphow...@yahoo.com (Frank Howell)
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 10:53:15 -0700
 by: Frank Howell - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:53 UTC

bfh wrote:
> Frank Howell wrote:
>> bfh wrote:
>>>>
>>> It'll be a pisser if Musk gets the Starship into a partial orbit
>>> before ULA can even successfully complete a wet dress rehearsal on
>>> the SLS.
>>>
>> Not without a PEA from the FAA. The delay accordingly to the FAA is
>> due to additional paperwork from SpaceX.
>> That said I don't believe it.
>> I suspect the existing PEA was predicated on the BFR a modest rocket
>> compared to the Starship a much larger rocket and every bit of of it
>> reusable. With this kind of arrangement the launch cadence should be
>> very robust and very loud and a problem for the FAA to justify. Maybe.
>>
>> Elon did say if the PEA isn't granted he would move the Starbase to
>> Florida.
>>
>>   The FAA noted that completing the environmental review does not
>> guarantee the issuance of a vehicle operator license, which also is
>> contingent upon meeting FAA requirements for safety, risk and
>> financial responsibility.
>>
>> The FAA is deciding whether the planned build-out in Texas poses a
>> significant environmental impact to the area - including an adjacent
>> wildlife reserve - and must therefore undergo a far more extensive
>> study before expanded operations at SpaceX's rocket production
>> facility and space port in Boca Chica can be licensed.
>>
>> Even in a "worst-case" scenario, in which a full environmental impact
>> statement were required or legal wrangling over the issue threatened
>> to drag on, Musk said SpaceX has a fall-back plan.
>>
>> The company would shift its entire Starship program to the Kennedy
>> Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, where SpaceX already has
>> received the environmental approval it needs, Musk said.
>>
>> Such a move would cause a setback of six to eight months, he added. In
>> any case, SpaceX is still shooting for a 2023 launch of what it calls
>> the world's first private lunar mission, flying aboard a Starship to
>> loop around the moon and return to Earth.
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/yydaa4l3
>>
>> An aside: many years ago Elon did offer to buy out residences in the
>> Boca Chica area. Was rebuffed IIRC.
>
> If I lived there, I sure wouldn't sell - I'd want to stay there to see
> big rocket launches up close.

When Elon offered buyout there was not a hint of star ships or
starbases, but more like Falcon Heavies which if I lived there, I would
have stayed too. And the new Starship program would have been a bonus.

--
Frank Howell

Re: U.S. FAA extends environmental review SpaceX

<esCdnf-0bpfMgfL_nZ2dnUU7-R-dnZ2d@supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14460&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14460

Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 16:48:34 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: RV-drag...@oneamericanREMOVETHISpatriot.com (Dusty)
 by: Dusty - Sun, 1 May 2022 23:48 UTC

On 30-Apr-22 16:12, George.Anthony wrote:
> Frank Howell <fphowell@usermail.com> wrote:
>> bfh wrote:
>>>>
>>> It'll be a pisser if Musk gets the Starship into a partial orbit before
>>> ULA can even successfully complete a wet dress rehearsal on the SLS.
>>>
>> This is the problem when dealing with NASA's trying to save taxpayers
>> money by using 50 year old Apollo used space gear such as:
>> The first four flights will each use and expend four of the remaining
>> sixteen RS-25D engines previously flown on Space Shuttle missions.
>>
>> So they decided to use antiques that cost $150 mil each once and drop
>> them in the ocean.
>>
>> "The five-segment solid rocket boosters provide approximately 25% more
>> total impulse than the Shuttle Solid Rocket Boosters, but will not be
>> recovered after use."
>>
>> The deficiencies of the Shuttle are far more then space allows here but
>> every effort to reduce cost of rocket lead to opposite effect.
>> And introduced risk!
>>

> It’s the government. What else would you expect?
Spot-on, George!

Take care and be well all,
Dusty
--
"Holding a grudge doesn't make you strong; it makes you bitter.
Forgiving doesn't make you weak; it sets you free."~~Dave Willis "The