Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 18:49:50 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
Subject: What Global Warming?
 by: kmiller - Wed, 4 May 2022 01:49 UTC

A punishing heat wave has pushed temperatures past 120F (50C) in some
areas. Some schools have closed early for the summer. Dozens of people
have died of heatstroke.

The region is already hard-hit by climate change. Extreme heat is common
in May. But not in April and March, both of which were the hottest
across much of India for more than a century.

"It's smoldering hot! It's also humid, which is making it very
difficult," Chrisell Rebello, 37, told NPR in line outside a Mumbai ice
cream parlor at 11 p.m. "We need a lot of cold drinks, air conditioning
– and multiple baths a day."

Only a fraction of Indians — mostly, the wealthy — have air
conditioning. Instead people soak rags in water and hang them in doors
and windows.

Still, electric fans and AC have pushed India's electricity demand to a
record high.

The problem is that 70% of India's electricity comes from coal. So the
government is converting passenger trains to cargo service, to rush coal
supplies to beleaguered power plants, and also importing more coal from
abroad.

And rolling blackouts are hurting industrial output.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/03/1096085028/climate-scientists-say-south-asias-heat-wave-120f-is-a-sign-of-whats-to-come

Re: What Global Warming?

<WalcK.708248$LN2.437792@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14502&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14502

Subject: Re: What Global Warming?
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 22:04:38 -0400
 by: bfh - Wed, 4 May 2022 02:04 UTC

kmiller wrote:

> A punishing heat wave has pushed temperatures past 120F (50C) in some
> areas. Some schools have closed early for the summer. Dozens of people
> have died of heatstroke.
>
> The region is already hard-hit by climate change. Extreme heat is
> common in May. But not in April and March, both of which were the
> hottest across much of India for more than a century.
>
> "It's smoldering hot! It's also humid, which is making it very
> difficult," Chrisell Rebello, 37, told NPR in line outside a Mumbai
> ice cream parlor at 11 p.m. "We need a lot of cold drinks, air
> conditioning – and multiple baths a day."
>
> Only a fraction of Indians — mostly, the wealthy — have air
> conditioning. Instead people soak rags in water and hang them in doors
> and windows.
>
> Still, electric fans and AC have pushed India's electricity demand to
> a record high.
>
> The problem is that 70% of India's electricity comes from coal. So the
> government is converting passenger trains to cargo service, to rush
> coal supplies to beleaguered power plants, and also importing more
> coal from abroad.

damn. They'll never get the coal dust out of the seats.

--
bill

Re: What Global Warming?

<ptmdnXPD1sXPf-z_nZ2dnUU7-QWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14505&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14505

Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 19:17:57 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
 by: kmiller - Wed, 4 May 2022 02:17 UTC

On 5/3/2022 7:04 PM, bfh wrote:
> kmiller wrote:
>>
>> A punishing heat wave has pushed temperatures past 120F (50C) in some
>> areas. Some schools have closed early for the summer. Dozens of people
>> have died of heatstroke.
>>
>> The region is already hard-hit by climate change. Extreme heat is
>> common in May. But not in April and March, both of which were the
>> hottest across much of India for more than a century.
>>
>> "It's smoldering hot! It's also humid, which is making it very
>> difficult," Chrisell Rebello, 37, told NPR in line outside a Mumbai
>> ice cream parlor at 11 p.m. "We need a lot of cold drinks, air
>> conditioning – and multiple baths a day."
>>
>> Only a fraction of Indians — mostly, the wealthy — have air
>> conditioning. Instead people soak rags in water and hang them in doors
>> and windows.
>>
>> Still, electric fans and AC have pushed India's electricity demand to
>> a record high.
>>
>> The problem is that 70% of India's electricity comes from coal. So the
>> government is converting passenger trains to cargo service, to rush
>> coal supplies to beleaguered power plants, and also importing more
>> coal from abroad.
>
> damn. They'll never get the coal dust out of the seats.

So, what? They can just burn the trains...