Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 18:57:30 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
Subject: It Ain't Over Yet
 by: kmiller - Wed, 4 May 2022 01:57 UTC

Covid Omicron Variant BA.2.12.1 Spreading Quickly Across United States;
Related Cases Up Nearly 100% In Past Two Weeks

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/covid-omicron-variant-ba-2-175205925.html

It's probably happening because tweeter blocked the orange goon. Elon!
Quick! Buy Moderna!

Re: It Ain't Over Yet

<OmlcK.2132$OjPa.1472@fx38.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14504&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14504

Subject: Re: It Ain't Over Yet
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 22:17:17 -0400
 by: bfh - Wed, 4 May 2022 02:17 UTC

kmiller wrote:
> Covid Omicron Variant BA.2.12.1 Spreading Quickly Across United
> States; Related Cases Up Nearly 100% In Past Two Weeks
>
> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/covid-omicron-variant-ba-2-175205925.html
>

> It's probably happening because tweeter blocked the orange goon. Elon!
> Quick! Buy Moderna!

Don't worry about it. Fauci said the pandemic was over. Follow the
science.

--
bill

Re: It Ain't Over Yet

<ptmdnXLD1sW9d-z_nZ2dnUU7-QWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14506&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14506

Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 19:51:15 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
 by: kmiller - Wed, 4 May 2022 02:51 UTC

On 5/3/2022 7:17 PM, bfh wrote:
> kmiller wrote:
>> Covid Omicron Variant BA.2.12.1 Spreading Quickly Across United
>> States; Related Cases Up Nearly 100% In Past Two Weeks
>>
>> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/covid-omicron-variant-ba-2-175205925.html
>>

>> It's probably happening because tweeter blocked the orange goon. Elon!
>> Quick! Buy Moderna!
>
> Don't worry about it. Fauci said the pandemic was over. Follow the science.

You Were Right About COVID, and Then You Weren’t

Understanding when to abandon beliefs and when to recommit to them can
help us ride out this pandemic and prepare for the next one.

According to Grant, the best way to keep an open mind in an unclear
situation is to do just this: Think like a scientist. (The other, lesser
ways to think are like a “preacher, prosecutor, and politician,” which
are what they sound like.) The writer Julia Galef calls this “the scout
mindset,” as opposed to the “soldier mindset.” The scout and scientist
mindsets are approximately the same thing: “The motivation to see things
as they are, not as you wish they were,” she writes in her eponymous book.

Thinking like a scientist, or a scout, means “recognizing that every
single one of your opinions is a hypothesis waiting to be tested. And
every decision you make is an experiment where you forgot to have a
control group,” Grant said. The best way to hold opinions or make
predictions is to determine what you think given the state of the
evidence—and then decide what it would take for you to change your mind.
Not only are you committing to staying open-minded; you’re committing to
the possibility that you might be wrong.

Because the coronavirus has proved volatile and unpredictable, we should
evaluate it as a scientist would. We can’t hold so tightly to prior
beliefs that we allow them to guide our behavior when the facts on the
ground change. This might mean that we lose our masks one month and don
them again the next, or reschedule an indoor party until after case
numbers decrease. It might mean supporting strict lockdowns in the
spring of 2020 but not in the spring of 2022. It might even mean closing
schools again, if a new variant seems to attack children. We should
think of masks and other COVID precautions not as shibboleths but like
rain boots and umbrellas, as Ashish Jha, the White House
coronavirus-response coordinator, has put it. There’s no sense in being
pro- or anti-umbrella. You just take it out when it’s raining.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2022/05/covid-opinions-school-closures/629736/

Re: It Ain't Over Yet

<NtmcK.701291$7F2.454671@fx12.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14507&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#14507

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 23:32:59 -0400
 by: bfh - Wed, 4 May 2022 03:32 UTC

kmiller wrote:
> On 5/3/2022 7:17 PM, bfh wrote:
>> kmiller wrote:
>>> Covid Omicron Variant BA.2.12.1 Spreading Quickly Across United
>>> States; Related Cases Up Nearly 100% In Past Two Weeks
>>>
>>> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/covid-omicron-variant-ba-2-175205925.html
>>>

>>> It's probably happening because tweeter blocked the orange goon.
>>> Elon! Quick! Buy Moderna!
>>
>> Don't worry about it. Fauci said the pandemic was over. Follow the
>> science.
>>

> You Were Right About COVID, and Then You Weren’t
>
> Understanding when to abandon beliefs and when to recommit to them can
> help us ride out this pandemic and prepare for the next one.
>
> According to Grant, the best way to keep an open mind in an unclear
> situation is to do just this: Think like a scientist. (The other,
> lesser ways to think are like a “preacher, prosecutor, and
> politician,” which are what they sound like.) The writer Julia Galef
> calls this “the scout mindset,” as opposed to the “soldier
> mindset.” The scout and scientist mindsets are approximately the
> same thing: “The motivation to see things as they are, not as you
> wish they were,” she writes in her eponymous book.
>
> Thinking like a scientist, or a scout, means “recognizing that every
> single one of your opinions is a hypothesis waiting to be tested. And
> every decision you make is an experiment where you forgot to have a
> control group,” Grant said. The best way to hold opinions or make
> predictions is to determine what you think given the state of the
> evidence—and then decide what it would take for you to change your
> mind. Not only are you committing to staying open-minded; you’re
> committing to the possibility that you might be wrong.
>
> Because the coronavirus has proved volatile and unpredictable, we
> should evaluate it as a scientist would. We can’t hold so tightly to
> prior beliefs that we allow them to guide our behavior when the facts
> on the ground change. This might mean that we lose our masks one month
> and don them again the next, or reschedule an indoor party until after
> case numbers decrease. It might mean supporting strict lockdowns in
> the spring of 2020 but not in the spring of 2022. It might even mean
> closing schools again, if a new variant seems to attack children. We
> should think of masks and other COVID precautions not as shibboleths
> but like rain boots and umbrellas, as Ashish Jha, the White House
> coronavirus-response coordinator, has put it. There’s no sense in
> being pro- or anti-umbrella. You just take it out when it’s raining.

It might even mean changing your mind on Tuesday, and changing it
again on Wednesday. And if you forget to read the news on Thursday,
you probably won't be following the science. If you read too much
news, you won't know which science to follow. Which brings me back
what I started with 2 years ago - this Covid science is like a
religion: Pick what you want to believe, and run with it......and
don't deceive yourself into thinking you're following The Science -
other than the one of several contradictory sciences that you decided
to follow.

As to that bullshit you posted above: We were closing schools when it
was Not affecting children, and many places are still sanitizing
surfaces when science has already told us that fomite transmission is
rare. Follow the science? HawHawHaw!

And why - at this point - are we talking about disrupting society when
"case" numbers rise? We should be making decisions based on severity
and hospitalizations. If the "scientists" are right, there will be
case numbers for nearly ever. Are we really going to jump through our
collective ass every time case numbers rise? I'm literally not.

72/17/2