"Only the hypocrite is really rotten to the core." -- Hannah Arendt.

interests / alt.obituaries / Joilet Harris, actress (The Wire, SVU, much stage work)

SubjectAuthor
* Joilet Harris, actress (The Wire, SVU, much stage work)Diner
`- Re: Joilet Harris, actress (The Wire, SVU, much stage work)Louis Epstein

1
Joilet Harris, actress (The Wire, SVU, much stage work)

<c528ba8e-4d0b-4789-b630-9d9278ec6f7dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14619&group=alt.obituaries#14619

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 11:06:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Joilet Harris, actress (The Wire, SVU, much stage work)
From: bwayst...@gmail.com (Diner)
 by: Diner - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 18:06 UTC

Joilet F. Harris (sometimes billed as simply Joilet Harris), one of Philadelphia's finest dramatic and singing actresses, died yesterday, according to her family's post on her Facebook. She was born in 1958, so she would have been around 64.
https://www.facebook.com/joilet.harris/posts/pfbid02TgRsEyHimpvqtGx6hE7zwpbmAgTWAxBgnRPRLAxrXmzbLUUMJxJWG845uZKBSF7ql

On October 1 she posted a message (with video) on Facebook saying "I’m finished!!! 6 rounds of aggressive chemotherapy for Birketts’s B-cell lymphoma."
It's obvious from the 4-minute video that she was still in a lot of pain. And it's so heartbreaking to see that all that pain was not enough.

She was a powerhouse vocalist in musicals, and a deceptively subtle actress in dramatic roles.
Among the many performances of hers I've been privileged to see over the years:

Caroline in CAROLINE, OR CHANGE at the Arden Theatre Company - which earned her a 2007 Barrymore Award for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Musical
Lena Younger in A RAISIN IN THE SUN at the Arden
Motormouth Maybelle in HAIRSPRAY at the Walnut Street Theatre
Miss Jones ("Brotherhood of Man") in HOW TO SUCCEEED IN BUSINESS at the Walnut
The Witch in BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE at Delaware Theatre Company

Supporting/ensemble parts in
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE at the Walnut
ANYONE CAN WHISTLE at the Prince Music Theater

Plus so many shows that I missed over the years like:
- A DOLL'S HOUSE (and A DOLL'S HOUSE PART 2), TULIPOMANIA and TOUCHTONES at the Arden
- ALL MY SONS and Christmas pantos at People's Light & Theatre Company
- touring as Ella in ELLA: THE ELLA FITZGERALD STORY
- and even her own cabaret shows at the Arden in 2016.

Plus TV and movie work - LAW & ORDER SVU, 12 MONKEYS, ROCKY V, and a recurring role as Officer Massey on THE WIRE.

And that's just scratching the surface. It was always a joy to see her onstage.

Re: Joilet Harris, actress (The Wire, SVU, much stage work)

<tig2gj$1dc$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14622&group=alt.obituaries#14622

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 04:49:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 04:49 UTC

Diner <bwaystars@gmail.com> wrote:
> Joilet F. Harris (sometimes billed as simply Joilet Harris), one of Philadelphia's finest dramatic and singing actresses, died yesterday, according to her family's post on her Facebook. She was born in 1958, so she would have been around 64.
> https://www.facebook.com/joilet.harris/posts/pfbid02TgRsEyHimpvqtGx6hE7zwpbmAgTWAxBgnRPRLAxrXmzbLUUMJxJWG845uZKBSF7ql

"Joilet"?
Did her mother intend to name her "Juliet" but wind
up giving birth in the bathroom?
-=-=-