From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Astronaut James McDivitt, Apollo 9 commander, dies at 93
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 05:45:48 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 05:45 UTC

[AP via Detroit News]

Astronaut James McDivitt, Apollo 9 commander, dies at 93

James A. McDivitt, who commanded the Apollo 9 mission testing the first
complete set of equipment to go to the moon, has died. He was 93.

McDivitt was also the commander of 1965's Gemini 4 mission, where his
best friend and colleague Ed White made the first U.S. spacewalk. His
photographs of White during the spacewalk became iconic images.

He passed on a chance to land on the moon and instead became the space
agency's program manager for five Apollo missions after the Apollo 11
moon landing.
James A. McDivitt

McDivitt died Thursday in Tucson, Arizona, NASA said Monday.
======
rest:
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2022/10/18/astronaut-james-mcdivitt-apollo-9-commander-dies/69570364007/
dannyb@panix.com

Re: Astronaut James McDivitt, Apollo 9 commander, dies at 93

<tim9hr$5hj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14647&group=alt.obituaries#14647

From: dav...@neosoft.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 08:26:04 -0500
 by: David Carson - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 13:26 UTC

On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 05:45:48 +0000, danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
wrote:

>[AP via Detroit News]
>
>Astronaut James McDivitt, Apollo 9 commander, dies at 93
>
>James A. McDivitt, who commanded the Apollo 9 mission testing the first
>complete set of equipment to go to the moon, has died. He was 93.

Apollo 8 went into lunar orbit, but it only consisted of the command
module. Apollo 9 took the command module and lunar module into Earth
orbit. Apollo 10 took them both into lunar orbit and did a rehearsal of
the separation, landing, and docking procedures. Apollo 11 had the first
actual landing.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base