Only that in you which is me can hear what I'm saying. -- Baba Ram Dass

interests / alt.obituaries / Ralph Pearson, 103, physical inorganic chemist best known for the development of the concept of hard and soft acids and bases (HSAB)

SubjectAuthor
* Ralph Pearson, 103, physical inorganic chemist best known for theMichael Rhodes
`- Re: Ralph Pearson, 103, physical inorganic chemist best known for theKenny McCormack

1
Ralph Pearson, 103, physical inorganic chemist best known for the development of the concept of hard and soft acids and bases (HSAB)

<7c80344e-3d2e-4181-80ce-6631357b0b99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14641&group=alt.obituaries#14641

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 02:11:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Ralph Pearson, 103, physical inorganic chemist best known for the
development of the concept of hard and soft acids and bases (HSAB)
From: mig73all...@yahoo.co.uk (Michael Rhodes)
 by: Michael Rhodes - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 09:11 UTC

Ralph Pearson, who died October 12, 2022, aged 103, was an American physical inorganic chemist best known for the development of the concept of hard and soft acids and bases (HSAB). He received his Ph.D. in physical chemistry in 1943 from Northwestern University, and taught chemistry at Northwestern faculty from 1946 until 1976, when he moved to University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB). He retired in 1989 but remained active in research in theoretical inorganic chemistry until his death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Pearson

Re: Ralph Pearson, 103, physical inorganic chemist best known for the development of the concept of hard and soft acids and bases (HSAB)

<tip039$2uh4k$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14667&group=alt.obituaries#14667

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
development of the concept of hard and soft acids and bases (HSAB)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 14:03:21 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 14:03 UTC

In article <7c80344e-3d2e-4181-80ce-6631357b0b99n@googlegroups.com>,
Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Ralph Pearson, who died October 12, 2022, aged 103, was an American
>physical inorganic chemist best known for the development of the
>concept of hard and soft acids and bases (HSAB). He received his Ph.D.
>in physical chemistry in 1943 from Northwestern University, and taught
>chemistry at Northwestern faculty from 1946 until 1976, when he moved
>to University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB). He retired in 1989
>but remained active in research in theoretical inorganic chemistry
>until his death.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Pearson

Or, more interestingly, :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSAB_theory

I.e., as I read the original obit, the main thing I wanted to know was:

"What is HSAB and why should I care?"

The above Wikipedia article explains it pretty well.

--
You know politics has really been turned upside down when you have someone in the
government with a last name of Cheney (Liz, Senator from Wyoming) who is the voice of