Look ere ye leap. -- John Heywood

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His lastravinma...@yahoo.com
+- Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His lastravinma...@yahoo.com
`* Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His lastravinma...@yahoo.com
 `* Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His lastravinma...@yahoo.com
  +- Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His lastWill Johnson
  `* Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances wJohnny Brananas
   `* Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His lastJohnny Brananas

1
Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk

<4c3bc5ba-78b7-4321-94ae-4d1657efb5f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1465&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#1465

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 07:17:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (ravinma...@yahoo.com)
 by: ravinma...@yahoo.com - Tue, 25 May 2021 14:17 UTC

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 1:37:16 PM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Rev. Edmund Farrer, _The church heraldry of Norfolk: A description of all coats of arms on brasses, monuments, slabs, hatchments, &c.,_ 3 vols. (Norwich, 1887-93), 2:328.
>
> [Stanhoe, Norfolk]
>
> _Slab in the Nave_.
>
> II. Between two bendlets an escallop in the dexter chief point (_Tracy_, Or, between two bendlets gules, an escallop in the dexter chief point sable..)
> There is no inscription, but I was informed by the Rector that the Right Hon[ble] Sir John Tracy and Lady Tracy his wife were both buried in this church about 1664 or 1665.
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=OxsNAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA328&lpg=PA328&dq=tracy+bendlets+escallop+dexter&source=bl&ots=0jKB-VgmyH&sig=y6flhvAsj3wkrpFt9Jge8Hrmbrk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiepoH64affAhUtmeAKHfRoCuwQ6AEwDnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=tracy%20bendlets%20escallop%20dexter&f=false

It would be interesting to see to whom was granted the 1680 administration of Frances Day of Wiveton ...

Reference code
ANW, administration act book, 1668-1681, fo. 254
Title
Day, Frances, widow, of Wiveton
Date(s)

1680 (Creation)

https://nrocatalogue.norfolk.gov.uk/index.php/day-frances-widow-of-wiveton

The last reference to her I can find in the TNA catalog proper is the suit "Carnsew v. Godfrey," dated 1678.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5636014

Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk

<7df94b2d-7997-47fa-9241-894fb2e7f918n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1466&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#1466

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 07:33:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (ravinma...@yahoo.com)
 by: ravinma...@yahoo.com - Tue, 25 May 2021 14:33 UTC

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 10:17:21 AM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 1:37:16 PM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Rev. Edmund Farrer, _The church heraldry of Norfolk: A description of all coats of arms on brasses, monuments, slabs, hatchments, &c.,_ 3 vols. (Norwich, 1887-93), 2:328.
> >
> > [Stanhoe, Norfolk]
> >
> > _Slab in the Nave_.
> >
> > II. Between two bendlets an escallop in the dexter chief point (_Tracy_, Or, between two bendlets gules, an escallop in the dexter chief point sable.)
> > There is no inscription, but I was informed by the Rector that the Right Hon[ble] Sir John Tracy and Lady Tracy his wife were both buried in this church about 1664 or 1665.
> >
> > https://books.google.com/books?id=OxsNAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA328&lpg=PA328&dq=tracy+bendlets+escallop+dexter&source=bl&ots=0jKB-VgmyH&sig=y6flhvAsj3wkrpFt9Jge8Hrmbrk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiepoH64affAhUtmeAKHfRoCuwQ6AEwDnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=tracy%20bendlets%20escallop%20dexter&f=false
> It would be interesting to see to whom was granted the 1680 administration of Frances Day of Wiveton ...
>
> Reference code
> ANW, administration act book, 1668-1681, fo. 254
> Title
> Day, Frances, widow, of Wiveton
> Date(s)
>
> 1680 (Creation)
>
> https://nrocatalogue.norfolk.gov.uk/index.php/day-frances-widow-of-wiveton
>
> The last reference to her I can find in the TNA catalog proper is the suit "Carnsew v. Godfrey," dated 1678.
>
> https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5636014

An interesting "pet" theory on a [supposed] child of Susan (Tracy) (Eure) Carnsew by her first marriage, who changed his surname from Eure to Jewers:

"The third son was Sir Sampson Eure of Gateley Park in the county of Hereford, Member of Parliament for Leominster, Attorney General in Wales to Charles I. He married Martha, daughter of Anthony Cage of Longstow, in the county of Cambridge, and had issue, a son, John Eure of Gateley Park, who married Susan, daughter and co-heir of Sir John Tracy of Stanhow, in the county of Norfolk. He died intestate, and administration was granted to his widow.. Of this marriage there is said to have been issue, a son, Thomas, who changed his name to Jewers."

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Armorial_Families/uzc6AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22john+tracy%22+stanhoe&pg=PA455&printsec=frontcover

Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk

<ab323c47-d986-4c99-a77d-da540b7b9db1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1470&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#1470

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 10:08:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (ravinma...@yahoo.com)
 by: ravinma...@yahoo.com - Tue, 25 May 2021 17:08 UTC

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 10:17:21 AM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 1:37:16 PM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Rev. Edmund Farrer, _The church heraldry of Norfolk: A description of all coats of arms on brasses, monuments, slabs, hatchments, &c.,_ 3 vols. (Norwich, 1887-93), 2:328.
> >
> > [Stanhoe, Norfolk]
> >
> > _Slab in the Nave_.
> >
> > II. Between two bendlets an escallop in the dexter chief point (_Tracy_, Or, between two bendlets gules, an escallop in the dexter chief point sable.)
> > There is no inscription, but I was informed by the Rector that the Right Hon[ble] Sir John Tracy and Lady Tracy his wife were both buried in this church about 1664 or 1665.
> >
> > https://books.google.com/books?id=OxsNAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA328&lpg=PA328&dq=tracy+bendlets+escallop+dexter&source=bl&ots=0jKB-VgmyH&sig=y6flhvAsj3wkrpFt9Jge8Hrmbrk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiepoH64affAhUtmeAKHfRoCuwQ6AEwDnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=tracy%20bendlets%20escallop%20dexter&f=false
> It would be interesting to see to whom was granted the 1680 administration of Frances Day of Wiveton ...
>
> Reference code
> ANW, administration act book, 1668-1681, fo. 254
> Title
> Day, Frances, widow, of Wiveton
> Date(s)
>
> 1680 (Creation)
>
> https://nrocatalogue.norfolk.gov.uk/index.php/day-frances-widow-of-wiveton
>
> The last reference to her I can find in the TNA catalog proper is the suit "Carnsew v. Godfrey," dated 1678.
>
> https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5636014

There is an extant 1665 or 1666 probate inventory for her second husband, Rev. Edmund Day.

https://nrocatalogue.norfolk.gov.uk/index.php/day-edmund-clerk-of-blakeney-norfolk

Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk

<96d38642-a263-4f30-a389-4060ccfc9f36n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1477&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#1477

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 11:35:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (ravinma...@yahoo.com)
 by: ravinma...@yahoo.com - Wed, 26 May 2021 18:35 UTC

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 1:09:00 PM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:

> https://nrocatalogue.norfolk.gov.uk/index.php/day-edmund-clerk-of-blakeney-norfolk

--Some more on the Dodsworths and Eatons who were investors in the Gifford-Fogg ironworks in New England (1670s-1680s)--

Investor John Wright of Wrightsbridge writes to John Gifford in New England (Nov. 1676) to "Direct yor letters on this or any other occasion to mr Dodsworth at his house in Love lane, Habedasher hee married M[rs] Eatons daughter and now acts in all her concerns" and others wrote to in May 1677 that "m[rs] Eaton is Executrix to m[r] John Eaton, m[r] Dodsworth hath purchased the share was m[r] Alliens ..." A letter of attorney in 1678 mentioned "Katherine Eaton, widow and executrix of her son [? sic] John Eaton, late of London, mercer, and John Dodsworth of London, haberdasher ..."

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Records_and_Files_of_the_Quarterly_Court/ZywQAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=dodsworth+%22letter+of+attourney+speedily%22&pg=PA341&printsec=frontcover

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Records_and_Files_of_the_Quarterly_Court/ZywQAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22dodsworth+hath+purchased+the+share%22&pg=PA342&printsec=frontcover

Several of these people show up later in records of the manor of Sellaby in Teesdale (co. Durham).

22 Feb., 1687. By Articles of Agreement quinquepartite between John Dodsworth and Katherine his wife, Administratrix of Catherine Eaton, widow and Admx. of the Estate of John Eaton, unadministered by the said Catherine, his relict and Admx. of the 1st part ; Barrington Eaton, son and heir of the said John and Catherine Eaton, and Charles Eaton and Benjamin Eaton their younger: sons, of the 2nd part ; Gilbert Marshall, gent., of the 3rd part ; Richard Marshall, esqr., of the 4th part ; ...

http://teesdalemercuryarchive.org/pdf/1942/August-26/August-26-1942-02.pdf

Given that the elder Catherine/Katherine had a son called Barrington Eaton, she must be the "Cath. [Bourchier] wife unto John Eaton, citizen of London," whose grandmother had been Catherine Barrington [wife of William Bourchier of Benningbrough], and whose sister Elizabeth Bourchier was the wife of Gilbert Marshall of Sellaby.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Visitation_of_the_County_of_Yorke/sz1SAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=bourchier+eaton&pg=PA140&printsec=frontcover

Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk

<e60b447b-9c10-4d0a-94f7-fe8109213d01n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1479&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#1479

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 14:41:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: wjhonson...@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Wed, 26 May 2021 21:41 UTC

Susan Tracy m John Eure (called "Evers")
Stanhoe, co Norf (Batch I07419-4 wj)

Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk

<2e313044-224f-473b-8b32-d99c9e5794ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1656&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#1656

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 14:30:40 -0700 (PDT)
References: <19402be3-6c44-4821-9f30-d30fdd2d9b20o@googlegroups.com> <301250c7-b17a-4d4f-af6f-946fe17613a8o@googlegroups.com> <eb3a86a9-32e2-4432-807f-e390edc10f07o@googlegroups.com> <ce68460f-6030-4eea-b313-228c31f940ccn@googlegroups.com> <6ea15015-fd9c-4fb4-8135-a351f53c82c8n@googlegroups.com> <4c3bc5ba-78b7-4321-94ae-4d1657efb5f8n@googlegroups.com> <ab323c47-d986-4c99-a77d-da540b7b9db1n@googlegroups.com> <96d38642-a263-4f30-a389-4060ccfc9f36n@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 21:30 UTC

> --Some more on the Dodsworths and Eatons who were investors in the Gifford-Fogg ironworks in New England (1670s-1680s)--
>
> Investor John Wright of Wrightsbridge writes to John Gifford in New England (Nov. 1676) to "Direct yor letters on this or any other occasion to mr Dodsworth at his house in Love lane, Habedasher hee married M[rs] Eatons daughter and now acts in all her concerns" and others wrote to in May 1677 that "m[rs] Eaton is Executrix to m[r] John Eaton, m[r] Dodsworth hath purchased the share was m[r] Alliens ..." A letter of attorney in 1678 mentioned "Katherine Eaton, widow and executrix of her son [? sic] John Eaton, late of London, mercer, and John Dodsworth of London, haberdasher ..."
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/Records_and_Files_of_the_Quarterly_Court/ZywQAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=dodsworth+%22letter+of+attourney+speedily%22&pg=PA341&printsec=frontcover
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/Records_and_Files_of_the_Quarterly_Court/ZywQAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22dodsworth+hath+purchased+the+share%22&pg=PA342&printsec=frontcover
>
> Several of these people show up later in records of the manor of Sellaby in Teesdale (co. Durham).
>
> 22 Feb., 1687. By Articles of Agreement quinquepartite between John Dodsworth and Katherine his wife, Administratrix of Catherine Eaton, widow and Admx. of the Estate of John Eaton, unadministered by the said Catherine, his relict and Admx. of the 1st part ; Barrington Eaton, son and heir of the said John and Catherine Eaton, and Charles Eaton and Benjamin Eaton their younger: sons, of the 2nd part ; Gilbert Marshall, gent., of the 3rd part ; Richard Marshall, esqr., of the 4th part ; ...
>
> http://teesdalemercuryarchive.org/pdf/1942/August-26/August-26-1942-02.pdf
>
> Given that the elder Catherine/Katherine had a son called Barrington Eaton, she must be the "Cath. [Bourchier] wife unto John Eaton, citizen of London," whose grandmother had been Catherine Barrington [wife of William Bourchier of Benningbrough], and whose sister Elizabeth Bourchier was the wife of Gilbert Marshall of Sellaby.
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Visitation_of_the_County_of_Yorke/sz1SAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=bourchier+eaton&pg=PA140&printsec=frontcover

Catherine (Eaton) Dodsworth was "administratrix de bonis non" of her father John Eaton, and "executrix" of her mother Catherine Eaton, at least in 1682.

--James Zouch v. John Dodsworth and his wife Katherine, Joseph Harding, Ann Baker.: John...
Reference: E 134/34Chas2/Mich23
Description: James Zouch v. John Dodsworth and his wife Katherine, Joseph Harding, Ann Baker.: John Eaton and Katherine his wife (to whom defendant Katherine is administratrix de bonis non to John, and executrix to his wife).. Touching a debt owing by Edwd. Zouch (plaintiff's elder brother) to John Eaton, and charged upon plaintiff, but for only a part of which debt plaintiff owns his liability, &c., &c.: Surrey
Date: 34 Chas 2

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/record?catid=4587208&catln=6

Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk

<eac64e84-3918-4aba-9e6a-324122873229n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1683&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#1683

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 07:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:39 UTC

At East Winch in Norfolk, is the following inscription:

"In memory of Edmund Dey, sometime patron of the vicarage of this place, here interred, 1667"

https://www.google.com/books/edition/An_Essay_Towards_a_Topographical_History/Y9svAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22edmund+dey%22+norfolk&pg=PA152&printsec=frontcover

The name, Edmund Dey, and the date 1667, are approximately correct for the second husband of Frances (Tracy) Giffard, but the description is a little odd: "patron of the vicarage" would usually be distinct from the actual vicar or rector.

The location, East Winch, is somewhat close to Stanhoe and King's Lynn, but more distant from Blakeney and Wiveton.

The next inscription listed at East Winch is that of Owen Barnes:

"Here lyeth under the foot of this wall, the body of Owen Barns, Gent., third son of William Barns the elder, of this place, Esq.; after he had lived the space of 52 years; changed this life for a better, 1670."

_NEHGR_, 158:328, shows this Owen Barn[e]s was the brother of Charles Barnes who came to East Hampton, L.I., by 1655, as well as of Anne Barnes, the first wife of Edmund Patrick of Snettisham; _NEHGR_ goes on to state that Edmund Patrick, widower of Anne, married second to "Alice Tracey."

As noted above, the 1664 Norfolk Visitation shows that a known daughter of Sir John Tracy and Elizabeth Alington was
-Alice mar. Edmund Patrick of Snettisham

And the Carnsew v. Godfrey lawsuit from 1678 includes some Patricks as defendants:

Short title: Carnsew v Godfrey.
Plaintiffs: Susannah Carnsew, widow and Elizabeth Britton, widow.
Defendants: Richard Godfrey, Anne Godfrey his wife, Thomas Borrett, Katherine Borrett his wife, Frances Day, widow, Edmund Pattricke and Thomas Pattricke.
Subject: property in Stanhoe, Barwick, North Creake, Docking etc, Norfolk.

As all the other persons named in the suit are either Tracy daughters or husbands of Tracy daughters, and the property concerned was at Stanhoe [and elsewhere], this implies to me that Edmund and Thomas Patrick were the children of the deceased Alice (Tracy) Patrick (or the widower and a son Thomas?).

Possibly the Barnes family of East Winch, loosely allied with Patricks and Tracys, allowed the Rev. Edmund Day to be buried there under a rather misleading stone?

Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk

<0f9f2e9f-76ab-4fda-9bbb-921b42879ed6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4387&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4387

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 10:22:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 17:22 UTC

Reference: E 134/34Chas2/Mich23

James Zouch v. John Dodsworth and his wife Katherine, Joseph Harding, Ann Baker.: John Eaton and Katherine his wife (to whom defendant Katherine is administratrix de bonis non to John, and executrix to his wife). Touching a debt owing by Edwd. Zouch (plaintiff's elder brother) to John Eaton, and charged upon plaintiff, but for only a part of which debt plaintiff owns his liability, &c., &c.: Surrey

The Ann Baker above _could_ be the same one mentioned here: "Arthur Annesley, Esq., Attorney, in behalfe of Thos. Baker and Ann Baker, his wife, _alias_ Anne Cooke, administratrix of her later husband, Coll. George Cooke, as by the Administration granted at Dublin ye 22 of May, 1652."

https://books.google.com/books?id=QWnJDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=%22ann+baker%22+%22george+cooke%22&source=bl&ots=9urfFQ-xTU&sig=ACfU3U180P2XPPRQrRD1onThzimeazkBCA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-04inmtr2AhXwT98KHfrhDsoQ6AF6BAgaEAM#v=onepage&q=%22ann%20baker%22%20%22george%20cooke%22&f=false

.... George Cooke having been an early immigrant to New England (a member of the Pebmarsh Cooke clan, others of whom intermarried with Reads and Hayneses). One vol. of the _Great Migration_ series shows George Cooke left New England for Ireland, where he died before 1652. His last wife Anne was an Annesley by birth, related to Lord Valentia/ Anglesea.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_English_Compendium/o4NcAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=anne+baker+%22colonel+george+cooke%22&pg=PA147&printsec=frontcover

Some mentions of [Dame] Ann Cook in New England records from the 1690s:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_Summary_of_the_Law_and_Practice_of_Rea/sFo1AAAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22ann+baker%22+%22george+cooke%22&pg=PA460&printsec=frontcover

Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk

<8f4186da-9045-4984-8694-28820c2a44d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4388&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4388

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 10:27:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 17:27 UTC

On Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 1:22:13 PM UTC-4, Johnny Brananas wrote:
> Reference: E 134/34Chas2/Mich23
>
> James Zouch v. John Dodsworth and his wife Katherine, Joseph Harding, Ann Baker.: John Eaton and Katherine his wife (to whom defendant Katherine is administratrix de bonis non to John, and executrix to his wife). Touching a debt owing by Edwd. Zouch (plaintiff's elder brother) to John Eaton, and charged upon plaintiff, but for only a part of which debt plaintiff owns his liability, &c., &c.: Surrey
> The Ann Baker above _could_ be the same one mentioned here: "Arthur Annesley, Esq., Attorney, in behalfe of Thos. Baker and Ann Baker, his wife, _alias_ Anne Cooke, administratrix of her later husband, Coll. George Cooke, as by the Administration granted at Dublin ye 22 of May, 1652."
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=QWnJDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=%22ann+baker%22+%22george+cooke%22&source=bl&ots=9urfFQ-xTU&sig=ACfU3U180P2XPPRQrRD1onThzimeazkBCA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-04inmtr2AhXwT98KHfrhDsoQ6AF6BAgaEAM#v=onepage&q=%22ann%20baker%22%20%22george%20cooke%22&f=false
>
> ... George Cooke having been an early immigrant to New England (a member of the Pebmarsh Cooke clan, others of whom intermarried with Reads and Hayneses). One vol. of the _Great Migration_ series shows George Cooke left New England for Ireland, where he died before 1652. His last wife Anne was an Annesley by birth, related to Lord Valentia/ Anglesea.
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_English_Compendium/o4NcAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=anne+baker+%22colonel+george+cooke%22&pg=PA147&printsec=frontcover
>
> Some mentions of [Dame] Ann Cook in New England records from the 1690s:
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_Summary_of_the_Law_and_Practice_of_Rea/sFo1AAAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22ann+baker%22+%22george+cooke%22&pg=PA460&printsec=frontcover

Should have read: "Some mentions of [Dame] Ann Baker in New England records from the 1690s. "

Re: Update on John Gifford/ Giffard of Wiveton, Norfolk: His last wife Frances was a probable daughter of Sir John Tracy of Gloucestershire and Stanhoe/ Stanhow, Norfolk

<42ee4eda-10d6-4da8-9201-08464f18dda6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4392&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4392

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 08:57:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 15:57 UTC

On Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 1:27:21 PM UTC-4, Johnny Brananas wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 1:22:13 PM UTC-4, Johnny Brananas wrote:
> > Reference: E 134/34Chas2/Mich23
> >
> > James Zouch v. John Dodsworth and his wife Katherine, Joseph Harding, Ann Baker.: John Eaton and Katherine his wife (to whom defendant Katherine is administratrix de bonis non to John, and executrix to his wife). Touching a debt owing by Edwd. Zouch (plaintiff's elder brother) to John Eaton, and charged upon plaintiff, but for only a part of which debt plaintiff owns his liability, &c., &c.: Surrey
> > The Ann Baker above _could_ be the same one mentioned here: "Arthur Annesley, Esq., Attorney, in behalfe of Thos. Baker and Ann Baker, his wife, _alias_ Anne Cooke, administratrix of her later husband, Coll. George Cooke, as by the Administration granted at Dublin ye 22 of May, 1652."
> >
> > https://books.google.com/books?id=QWnJDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=%22ann+baker%22+%22george+cooke%22&source=bl&ots=9urfFQ-xTU&sig=ACfU3U180P2XPPRQrRD1onThzimeazkBCA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-04inmtr2AhXwT98KHfrhDsoQ6AF6BAgaEAM#v=onepage&q=%22ann%20baker%22%20%22george%20cooke%22&f=false
> >
> > ... George Cooke having been an early immigrant to New England (a member of the Pebmarsh Cooke clan, others of whom intermarried with Reads and Hayneses). One vol. of the _Great Migration_ series shows George Cooke left New England for Ireland, where he died before 1652. His last wife Anne was an Annesley by birth, related to Lord Valentia/ Anglesea.
> >
> > https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_English_Compendium/o4NcAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=anne+baker+%22colonel+george+cooke%22&pg=PA147&printsec=frontcover
> >
> > Some mentions of [Dame] Ann Cook in New England records from the 1690s:
> >
> > https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_Summary_of_the_Law_and_Practice_of_Rea/sFo1AAAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22ann+baker%22+%22george+cooke%22&pg=PA460&printsec=frontcover
> Should have read: "Some mentions of [Dame] Ann Baker in New England records from the 1690s. "

Reference: C 8/229/139

Short title: Zouch v Zouch.

Plaintiffs: James Zouch.

Defendants: Dorothy Zouch, Anne Baker, Mary Cooke, Elizabeth Cooke, Thomas Beneer, John Ellis, Richard Geary and William Wade.

Subject: recovery of goods, Surrey.

Document type: bill and three answers
Date: 1679
Held by: The National Archives, Kew