There is no proverb that is not true. -- Cervantes

interests / alt.language.latin / Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

SubjectAuthor
* Meaning: fuzzy and focusedBtraven
+- Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedBtraven
+- Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedA.T. Murray
+* Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedEd Cryer
|+- Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedA.T. Murray
|`- Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedEd Cryer
+- Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedJeff Hill
`* Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedJeff Hill
 `* Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedBtraven
  `* Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedBtraven
   `* Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedEd Cryer
    `* Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedBtraven
     `* Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedEd Cryer
      `* Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedBtraven
       `- Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focusedEd Cryer

1
Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<c0c76244-0039-4041-8b81-be5a76c47a66n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134&group=alt.language.latin#134

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 09:32:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Meaning: fuzzy and focused
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Wed, 12 May 2021 16:32 UTC

Many, or maybe only a number of years ago, I used to translate movie titles into Latin and often was able to hit on a satisfactory translation especially if I had seen the movie and understood the reference(s) of the original English title. So, in order to translate, it's necessary to understand the (wordless) meaning, the reality behind the words. Otherwise the words constitute only a label, functionally equivalent to a number.
In another forum Edus Britannicus posted a Latin version of the lyrics of a David Bowie song, one of those, I think, on the _Diamond Dogs_ album. Since I know little about Bowie's music, I had to web-research the origin of that title and discovered that it originally meant "feral roof-dwelling children who made their living by waylaying well-heeled adults." So, in Latin catuli adamantipetae.
To understand translation at a deeper level it would be necessary to memorized George Steiner's _After Babel_, in which transalation as one of the building blocks of thought itself is rigorously investigated.
If there are any Bowie fans here, they may be able to improve on my versions, most of which are only routine Latin equivalents of the English titles as labels:

Anno millesimo nongentesimo decimo septimo :"1917"
Anno millesimo nongentesimo octogesimo quarto :"1984"
Hora quinta cum quadrante Angeli decessere :"5:15 The Angels Have Gone"
Anno octogesimo septimo et lacrimae rerum :"'87 and Cry"
Servus Arabs Dei :"Abdulmajid"
Tirones Novissimi :"Absolute Beginners"
Trans universum rerum :"Across the Universe"
Pavibundus :"Afraid"
Volatus nocturnus Africanus :"African Night Flight"
Spe secunda aversa :"After All"
Post hodierno diem :"After Today"
Carmen Alabamae :"Alabama Song"
Aladdinus compos mentis :"Aladdin Sane (1913–1938–197?)"
Algeria Quiritatustactu:"Algeria Touchshriek"
Omnium Sanctorum :"All Saints"
Omnium Vesanorum :"All the Madmen"
Omnium Juvenum Trossulorum :"All the Young Dudes"
Semper collidens in eadem raeda :"Always Crashing in the Same Car"
Amstelodamum :"Amsterdam"
Et mihi dico :"And I Say to Myself"
Andreas Warhol :"Andy Warhol"
Quomodocumque, Utcumque, Ubicumque :"Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere"
Ars decennii caduca :"Art Decade"
Ut Mundus decidit :"As The World Falls Down"
Pulvis in pulverem :"Ashes to Ashes"
Atomica :"Atomica"
Hymnus illius Baal :"Baal's Hymn"
Infans Gratia :"Baby Grace (A Horrid Cassette)"
Taliter infans amat :"Baby Loves That Way"
Assuescis discedere :"You've Got a Habit of Leaving"
Epicolyricum Periclitantium :"Ballad of the Adventurers"
Stloppus, stloppus :"Bang Bang"
Clathri carceris comitatus :"Bars of the County Jail"
Proelium pro Britannia :"Battle for Britain (The Letter)"
Fi mihi uxor :"Be My Wife"
Plangito tympanum :"Beat of Your Drum"
Forma et fera :"Beauty and the Beast"
Quia iuvenis es :"Because You're Young"
Tempus futurum melius :"A Better Future"
Fratres ille Bewlay:"The Bewlay Brothers"
Frater natu maximus :"Big Brother"
Saxum atrum rusticum :"Black Country Rock"
musica concussa rustica hominum cute nigra
Focale nigrum / Strepitus temere albescens :"Black Tie White Noise"
Vis electrica exstincta :"Blackout"
Animi deliquium
Sidus atratissimum :"Blackstar"
Sanguinem mittito urceatim, tata :"Bleed Like a Craze, Dad"
Bracae Genuenses Caeruleae :"Blue Jean"
Aeronaves polyballistariae :"Bombers"
Natus in Nave intermundana :"Born in a UFO"
Ipsimus metipsius :"Boss of Me"
Pueri pergunt oscillare :"Boys Keep Swinging"
De vitro frangendo :"Breaking Glass"
Periculum illustre :"Brilliant Adventure"
Adduc mihi regem saltationis discoferum :"Bring Me the Disco King"
Buddha suburbiorum :"Buddha of Suburbia"
Cactus desericola :"Cactus"
Mene audire vales? :"Can You Hear Me?"
Non potis sum, es, est desinere de me cogitare :"Can't Help Thinking About Me"
Candidatus -ae :"Candidate"
Homines Felini (incendia exstinguentes) :"Cat People (Putting Out Fire)"
Mutationes :"Changes"
Cantus Familiae Monogrammae semper circumvolantis :"Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family"
Collis undabundus frigidulus :"Chilly Down"
Puella Sinensis :"China Girl"
Cevete omnes :"Ching-a-Ling"
Venito ad mihi crepundia emendum :"Come and Buy My Toys"
Argumentum loquendi :"Conversation Piece"
Histrio cerritus :"Cracked Actor"
Mundus sceleratus :"Criminal World"
Japonia crystallina :"Crystal Japan"
Commissio pulli olorini :"Cygnet Committee"
Saltatio in via :"Dancing in the Street"
Saltatio in locis caelestibus :"Dancing Out in Space"
Saltatio una cum puberibus :"Dancing with the Big Boys"
De die in dies : "Day-In Day-Out"
Dies :"Days"
Mordaciter invitus :"Dead Against It"
Homo mortuus ambulans :"Dead Man Walking"
Canes adamantini :"Diamond Dogs"
Anne olim somnium subisti? 103:"Did You Ever Have a Dream"
fatum tuum praevidisti?
Pueri Obscoeni :"Dirty Boys"
Carmen Obscoenum :"The Dirty Song"
Fiet quidquid jubebis :"Do Anything You Say"
Avis exstincta :"Dodo"
Dies pro nummulo :"Dollar Days"
Ne me animum fregeris :"Don't Bring Me Down"
Noli pergere mihi deesse :"Don't Let Me Down & Down"
Ne despicias :"Don't Look Down"
Ne considas :"Don't Sit Down"
Somniatores :"The Dreamers"
Dies Sabbati: campus stativus magno albo visifico ad pelliculas nocte sub divo spectandas ex raedis ;-) "Drive-In Saturday"
Puella submersa :"The Drowned Girl"
Poema octastichum :"Eight Line Poem"
Omnes te salutant :"Everyone Says 'Hi'"
Omnia recte procedunt :"Everything's Alright"
Canis autumnalis lunam bombis verberant :"Fall Dog Bombs the Moon"
Fama :"Fame"
Gestatio marina mirabilis :"Fantastic Voyage"
Fascinatio :"Fascination"
Mos vestiendi :"Fashion"
Completo cor tuum :"Fill Your Heart"
Lustrum :"Five Years"
Volare :"Fly"
Dies nebulosus (in Londinio):"A Foggy Day (in London Town)"
Tripudium pedum :"Footstompin'" /
Cupiam saltare tremebunde tamquam soror Caterina "I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate"
Memor sum diei Veneris :"Friday on My Mind"
Hero futurus :"Future Legend"
Fi veridicus :"Get Real"
Puella me amat :"Girl Loves Me"
Puellae :"Girls"
Laetus solus :"Glad I've Got Nobody"
Aranea vitrea :"Glass Spider"
Deus puellae benedicat :"God Bless the Girl"
Deus scit me esse bonum :"God Knows I'm Good"
Deus solus scit :"God Only Knows"
Noli me umquam deesse :"Never Let Me Down"
Novi angeli fideles :"New Angels of Promise"
Novus cursus laborum novo in oppido :"A New Career in a New Town"
Nova Stella Occīdens, histrio illustris tremendus :"New Killer Star"
Novum Eboracum amore ardet :"New York's in Love"
Postridie :"The Next Day"
Volatus nocturni :"Nite Flights"
Expers moderatione :"No Control"
Nemo telephonice appellat:"No One Calls"
Nullum consilium :"No Plan"
Nihil desiderandum:"Nothing to Be Desired"
Nuces, cerritus :"Nuts"
Somnium fortuitum :"An Occasional Dream"
Pro! quales res bellulae, vos :"Oh! You Pretty Things"
Foris :"Outside"
Paulus Picasso :"Pablo Picasso"
Pallas Athena :"Pallas Athena"
Panicus terror in Freto:"Panic in Detroit"
Pax in terra - Puerulus tympanotriba :"Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy"
Dies faustus :"Perfect Day"
Clavicinii tonus la :"Piano-La"
Picturae Liliae :"Pictures of Lily"
Consilium :"Plan"
Planeta somniorum :"Planet of Dreams"
Obsecro, Domine fossor sepulchri :"Please Mr. Gravedigger"
Stella bellissima :"The Prettiest Star"
Bella rosa punicea :"Pretty Pink Rose"
Reculae pulchrae pessum eunt :"The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell"
Regina Canina :"Queen Bitch"
Regina omnium scriblitarum :"Queen of All the Tarts (Overture)"
Arenae aquosae :"Quicksand"
Puer solus, puella sola :"Ragazzo solo, ragazza sola"
Mundus scitissimus :"Real Cool World"
Rerum natura :"Reality"
Rebellio numquam senescit :"Rebel Never Gets Old"
Rebellio Rebellio :"Rebel Rebel"
Pecunia Rubra :"Red Money"
Vela rubra :"Red Sails"
Memor illius Mariae A :"Remembering Marie A"
Repetitio :"Repetition"
Carmen rebelle :"The Revolutionary Song"
Repercussus :"Ricochet"
Correctum ... Jus :"Right"
Suicidium ope Musicae Concussae :"Rock 'n' Roll Suicide"
Mecum salta pulsu musicae concussae :"Rock 'n' Roll with Me"
Rosalina :"Rosalyn"
Circumcirca deinceps :"Round and Round"
Taenia cummea elastica :"Rubber Band"
Musica tristis de sclopeta furtim vehendo :"Running Gun Blues" .... Gun Running Blues??
Tutus :"Safe"
Machina Salvatrix :"Saviour Machine"
Monstra formidabilia :"Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)"
Quirita tamquam infans :"Scream Like a Baby"
Vita secreta Arabiae :"The Secret Life of Arabia"
Videto Aemiliam ludere :"See Emily Play"
Vende mihi 195:"Sell Me a Coat"
Dubitatio :"Sense of Doubt"
Septem annos in Tibeto :"Seven Years in Tibet"
Sexus et Ecclesia :"Sex and the Church"
Homo umbraticus :"Shadow Man"[aa]
Ceveto :"Shake It"
Figurae rerum :"Shapes of Things"
(Ea potest) id facere :"(She Can) Do That"
Me frigidum quassavit :"She Shook Me Cold"
Raedam magnam operabitur illa :"She'll Drive the Big Car"
Istae sunt insignia :"She's Got Medals"
Stella fulgens (amorem meum ciens) :"Shining Star (Makin' My Love)"
Puer caeruleus baburrus :"Silly Boy Blue"
Soror intempestae noctis :"Sister Midnight"
Elabere :"Slip Away"
Ambustio lenta :"Slow Burn"
Agellus :"A Small Plot of Land"
Ita illa :"So She"
Nonnulli sunt :"Some Are"
Alicui in loco sublimi placeo :"Somebody Up There Likes Me"
Aliquid in auris :"Something in the Air"
Carmen pro Roberto D. :"Song for Bob Dylan"
Filii aevi quieti :"Sons of the Silent Age"
Maeror :"Sorrow"
Amor in anima :"Soul Love"
Sonus visusque :"Sound and Vision"
Circulus finiens australis :"South Horizon"
Spatium in soli tum :"Space Oddity"
Vita velox :"Speed of Life"
Astrum :"Star"
Vir Stellaris :"Starman"
Hac nocte stellae videri possunt :"The Stars (Are Out Tonight)"
Statio ad stationem :"Station to Station"
Maneto :"Stay"
Ignoti cum coram convenimus :"Strangers When We Meet"
Troglodytae :"Subterraneans"
Suzanna (vel in tempore scelerum :"Sue (Or in a Season of Crime)"
Urbs suffragaturientium :"Suffragette City"
Dies Dominica :"Sunday"
Heroes.. .. Demi-di 236:"The Supermen"
Durate :"Survive"
Caput dulce :"Sweet Head"
Recula dulcis :"Sweet Thing"
Adolescentes incicuri :"Teenage Wildlife"
Mendacia Dicens :"Telling Lies"
Ecce causae! :"That's Motivation"
Illo in loco cor meum :"That's Where My Heart Is"
Alicubi exstat terra felix :"There Is a Happy Land"
Istud quidem non America'st :"This Is Not America"
Per oculos horum architectonum :"Thru' These Architects Eyes"
Natus die Jovis :"Thursday's Child"
Tempus lente rēpet :"Time Will Crawl"
Male accidit ut scortum sit :"'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore"
Nimis sum vertigine correptus :"Too Dizzy"
Huius delibato, emito :"Try Some, Buy Some"
Cernuato et conversare : "Tumble and Twirl"
Coercitus :"Under Pressure"
Sub terra : "Underground"
Illotus et subobstupefactus :"Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed"
In adversum clivum retroversus :"Up the Hill Backwards"
Herus Vestificus falaricae V-2 :"V-2 Schneider"
Dies Sancti Valentini :"Valentine's Day"
Sponda veluto staminum tecta :"Velvet Couch"
Aurifodina e veluto staminum :"Velvet Goldmine"[ag]
Speculator absolutae destructionis quatenus sit pulcha :"The Voyeur of Utter Destruction (as Beauty)"
Opperiens Ipsimum :"Waiting for the Man"
Expergiscere :"Wake Up"
Varsavia :"Warszawa"
Illum speculare :"Watch That Man"
Occasus solis Waterloi :"Waterloo Sunset"
Nos omnes perimus :"We All Go Through"
Homines sumus esurientes :"We Are Hungry Men"
Mortui Nos sumus :"We Are the Dead"
Vos pungimus :"We Prick You"
Oppidum proficiscimur :"We Shall Go to Town"
Carmen nuptiale :"The Wedding Song"
Moenia retinentia occidentalia :"Weeping Wall"
Quid gentium accidit? :"What in the World"
Ubicumque somnium meum re vivo :"When I Live My Dream"
Cum te conveni:"When I Met You"
Cum ero quinquennis :"When I'm Five"
Ubi puberes milites domum progredientur "When the Boys Come Marching Home"
Quoties ventus flat :"When the Wind Blows"
Ubi nunc sumus :"Where Are We Now?"
Ubinam sunt tempora iucunda annotina? :"Where Have All the Good Times Gone"
Lux candida / Calor albus :"White Light/White Heat"
Quis nunc fieri potero :"Who Can I Be Now?"
Latitudo, Diametros circuli :"The Width of a Circle"
Puer oculis feris a Nube Libera oriundus :"Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud"
Cicer est Ventus :"Wild Is the Wind"
Vincito :"Win"
Exordia exopta :"Wishful Beginnings"
Intus in te :"Within You"
Extra te :"Without You"
Sine te nihil sum :"Without You I'm Nothing"
Silvanus Jackson :"Wood Jackson"
Verbum alatum "Word on a Wing"
O sicarii tu :"Yassassin"
Tam solus te sentis ut moriaris :"You Feel So Lonely You Could Die"
Mundum incendes :"(You Will) Set the World on Fire"
Tuum nunc est raedam agere :"Your Turn to Drive"
Multum peregrinatus es :"You've Been Around"
Americani iuvenes :"Young Americans"
Zera :"Zeroes"
Sigismundus Stellaepulvis :"Ziggy Stardust"

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<5dfea716-d162-4a8b-86e6-d4fdfa99702cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=135&group=alt.language.latin#135

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 09:45:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Wed, 12 May 2021 16:45 UTC

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 11:32:39 AM UTC-5, Btraven wrote:
> Many, or maybe only a number of years ago, I used to translate movie titles into Latin and often was able to hit on a satisfactory translation especially if I had seen the movie and understood the reference(s) of the original English title. So, in order to translate, it's necessary to understand the (wordless) meaning, the reality behind the words. Otherwise the words constitute only a label, functionally equivalent to a number.
> In another forum Edus Britannicus posted a Latin version of the lyrics of a David Bowie song, one of those, I think, on the _Diamond Dogs_ album. Since I know little about Bowie's music, I had to web-research the origin of that title and discovered that it originally meant "feral roof-dwelling children who made their living by waylaying well-heeled adults." So, in Latin catuli adamantipetae.
> To understand translation at a deeper level it would be necessary to memorized George Steiner's _After Babel_, in which transalation as one of the building blocks of thought itself is rigorously investigated.
> If there are any Bowie fans here, they may be able to improve on my versions, most of which are only routine Latin equivalents of the English titles as labels:
>
> Anno millesimo nongentesimo decimo septimo :"1917"

I don't know why it says Standard adimantipetae above instead of "Catuli" [puppies] Sometimes I think that google groups isn't ready for prime time.

i'll try the entire list again here:

[...]
Istud quidem non America :"This Is Not America"

<8b119ad2-677f-4fb2-8e5b-1a541c3f4eebn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=136&group=alt.language.latin#136

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 00:34:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: mentific...@gmail.com (A.T. Murray)
 by: A.T. Murray - Thu, 13 May 2021 07:34 UTC

<s7j328$ngh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=137&group=alt.language.latin#137

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 12:37:25 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 13 May 2021 11:37 UTC

Quattro pelliculae mihi carae

Retro Ad Futurum - Back To The Future
Odyssea Per Aetherem Anno MMI - 2001 Space Odyssey
Waterloo - Waterloo
Terminator - Terminator

Ed

Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<0b97e921-a59b-4279-a399-09d15f98ccc9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=138&group=alt.language.latin#138

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 06:53:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: mentific...@gmail.com (A.T. Murray)
 by: A.T. Murray - Thu, 13 May 2021 13:53 UTC

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 4:37:46 AM UTC-7, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Quattro pelliculae mihi carae
>
> Retro Ad Futurum - Back To The Future
> Odyssea Per Aetherem Anno MMI - 2001 Space Odyssey
> Waterloo - Waterloo
> Terminator - Terminator
>
> Ed
Bona nomina dedisti pro pellicculis, praecipue "Retro Ad Futurum."
Imaginate omnes, quaeso, qualis situatio esset si inter Americam aut Angliam esset commercialis relatio cum antiquo Imperio Romano, id est, trans duo millennia annorum. In tali situatione oporteret nos dare pelliculis nomina valde correcta et appropriata. Igitur quale nomen esset melius?

Post Meridiem Amor -- Love in the Afternoon
aut
Postprandialis Amor -- Love in the Afternoon?

Stricta translatio cedat poeticae translationi, quia amor linguae omnia vincit

Mentifex
..

Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<s7mffq$2oa$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=139&group=alt.language.latin#139

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 19:27:29 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Fri, 14 May 2021 18:27 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> Quattro pelliculae mihi carae
>
> Retro Ad Futurum - Back To The Future
> Odyssea Per Aetherem Anno MMI - 2001 Space Odyssey
> Waterloo - Waterloo
> Terminator - Terminator
>
> Ed

This is a strange, witches' brew of languages. Half Spanish, half Latin.

I must have switched into Spanish when contemplating "movies"; and then
scrambled to return to Urbs Aeterna afterwards.

I call upon Bishop George Berkeley to mediate. He published books of
philosophy in the early 18th c., recognised today as a genius. And in
the Preface to one of his books (probably "The Principles of Knowledge")
he warns us all to beware of the pitfalls enwrapped in languages.

Ed

Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<m5ot9glish5r2fvak981oem7sd2ip2228g@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=140&group=alt.language.latin#140

From: jeffjeff...@gmail.com (Jeff Hill)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 06:49:20 +1000
 by: Jeff Hill - Fri, 14 May 2021 20:49 UTC

I enjoyed reading through the translations, 99.9 % splendid and witty!

One omission seems to be my favourite Bowie piece

Warsaw, in Polish Warszawa, was VARSOVIA in mediaeval Latin.

What about the lyrics:

Mmmm-mm-mm-ommm
Sula vie dilejo
Mmmm-mm-mm-ommm
Sula vie milejo
Mmm-omm
Cheli venco deho
Cheli venco deho
Malio
Mmmm-mm-mm-ommm
Helibo seyoman
Cheli venco raero
Malio
Malio

Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<0uv2agpo0u7r7rugj0tvib3uv7ntni3a7f@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=141&group=alt.language.latin#141

From: jeffjeff...@gmail.com (Jeff Hill)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 06:28:07 +1000
 by: Jeff Hill - Sun, 16 May 2021 20:28 UTC

On Wed, 12 May 2021 09:32:38 -0700 (PDT), Btraven <caudex2@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Many, or maybe only a number of years ago

Good-day BTraven,

The first entries concerning dated years: perhaps the professors of
our ALMAE MATRES would like to see ANNOS VRBIS CONDITAE, not ANNI POST
CHRISTVM NATVM SCRIBARVM VATICANARVM -- unless Bowie's lyrics
specifically require the christian perspective (which I doubt, but I
haven't checked).

And the time entry, 5:15, HORA QVINTA CVM QVADRANTE -- ID AMO -- but
did Bowie's lyrics provide you with a specific hint about HORA QVINTA
DIEI NATVRALIS or HORA QVINTA NOCTIS NATVRALIS? Or did he have the
hours of the ancient Roman day, POST MERIDIEM and ANTE MERIDIEM, in
mind?

Jeff Hill
Sydney, Australia.

Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<5ca98d0d-93be-43aa-96c9-1ace68106b0en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=142&group=alt.language.latin#142

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 14:57:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Sun, 16 May 2021 21:57 UTC

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 3:27:57 PM UTC-5, Jeff Hill wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2021 09:32:38 -0700 (PDT), Btraven <cau...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Many, or maybe only a number of years ago
> Good-day BTraven,
>
> The first entries concerning dated years: perhaps the professors of
> our ALMAE MATRES would like to see ANNOS VRBIS CONDITAE, not ANNI POST
> CHRISTVM NATVM SCRIBARVM VATICANARVM -- unless Bowie's lyrics
> specifically require the christian perspective (which I doubt, but I
> haven't checked).
>
> And the time entry, 5:15, HORA QVINTA CVM QVADRANTE -- ID AMO -- but
> did Bowie's lyrics provide you with a specific hint about HORA QVINTA
> DIEI NATVRALIS or HORA QVINTA NOCTIS NATVRALIS? Or did he have the
> hours of the ancient Roman day, POST MERIDIEM and ANTE MERIDIEM, in
> mind?
>
> Jeff Hill
> Sydney, Australia.

Eduardus Godefrido sal.:

Since I know little or nothing (actually more than nothing , since I spent a few hours trying to grok that pesky term "diamond dogs,") about Dave's work, I meant 5:15 to stand for both am and pm (post mediam noctem, post meridiem. I think it may be too late to base UTC on the epoch even of the Hijra, much less AUC. Now it's useful to imagine even the use of leap seconds as far back as the first Olympiad.
It is a fruit of the strangeness of time that Egyptologists know far more about life on the Nile in 3000 B.C. than did Herodotus or even Moses. Maybe when the Long Now clock strikes MMMMMMMMMM A.D. people of that time will know the days, days of the week, and times of the day of all the battles of the Trojan war, that is if we haven't exstinguished ourselves by or before then.

Eduardus

p.s. I think the following is the first posting to alt.language.latin:

Greg Gioia
Apr 6, 1999, 2:00:00 AM
This could prove to be a fun group...let's get to posting, shall we?

I was a member of the Grex Latine Loquentium then but not this group, si memoria me non fallat.

Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<3fca841a-f5c8-429e-a01e-efc73a5831c4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=143&group=alt.language.latin#143

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 15:03:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Sun, 16 May 2021 22:03 UTC

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 4:57:43 PM UTC-5, Btraven wrote:
> On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 3:27:57 PM UTC-5, Jeff Hill wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 May 2021 09:32:38 -0700 (PDT), Btraven <cau...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >Many, or maybe only a number of years ago
> > Good-day BTraven,
> >
> > The first entries concerning dated years: perhaps the professors of
> > our ALMAE MATRES would like to see ANNOS VRBIS CONDITAE, not ANNI POST
> > CHRISTVM NATVM SCRIBARVM VATICANARVM -- unless Bowie's lyrics
> > specifically require the christian perspective (which I doubt, but I
> > haven't checked).
> >
> > And the time entry, 5:15, HORA QVINTA CVM QVADRANTE -- ID AMO -- but
> > did Bowie's lyrics provide you with a specific hint about HORA QVINTA
> > DIEI NATVRALIS or HORA QVINTA NOCTIS NATVRALIS? Or did he have the
> > hours of the ancient Roman day, POST MERIDIEM and ANTE MERIDIEM, in
> > mind?
> >
> > Jeff Hill
> > Sydney, Australia.
> Eduardus Godefrido sal.:
>
> Since I know little or nothing (actually more than nothing , since I spent a few hours trying to grok that pesky term "diamond dogs,") about Dave's work, I meant 5:15 to stand for both am and pm (post mediam noctem, post meridiem. I think it may be too late to base UTC on the epoch even of the Hijra, much less AUC. Now it's useful to imagine even the use of leap seconds as far back as the first Olympiad.
> It is a fruit of the strangeness of time that Egyptologists know far more about life on the Nile in 3000 B.C. than did Herodotus or even Moses. Maybe when the Long Now clock strikes MMMMMMMMMM A.D. people of that time will know the days, days of the week, and times of the day of all the battles of the Trojan war, that is if we haven't exstinguished ourselves by or before then.
>
> Eduardus
>
> p.s. I think the following is the first posting to alt.language.latin:
>
> Greg Gioia
> Apr 6, 1999, 2:00:00 AM
> This could prove to be a fun group...let's get to posting, shall we?
>
> I was a member of the Grex Latine Loquentium then but not this group, si memoria me non fallat.

oops..... fallit ..... at least I didn't write fellat .... oops, now I did..

Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<s7tgbt$dnh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=144&group=alt.language.latin#144

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 11:25:37 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 17 May 2021 10:25 UTC

Btraven wrote:
> On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 4:57:43 PM UTC-5, Btraven wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 3:27:57 PM UTC-5, Jeff Hill wrote:
>>> Good-day BTraven,
>>>
>>> The first entries concerning dated years: perhaps the professors of
>>> our ALMAE MATRES would like to see ANNOS VRBIS CONDITAE, not ANNI POST
>>> CHRISTVM NATVM SCRIBARVM VATICANARVM -- unless Bowie's lyrics
>>> specifically require the christian perspective (which I doubt, but I
>>> haven't checked).
>>>
>>> And the time entry, 5:15, HORA QVINTA CVM QVADRANTE -- ID AMO -- but
>>> did Bowie's lyrics provide you with a specific hint about HORA QVINTA
>>> DIEI NATVRALIS or HORA QVINTA NOCTIS NATVRALIS? Or did he have the
>>> hours of the ancient Roman day, POST MERIDIEM and ANTE MERIDIEM, in
>>> mind?
>>>
>>> Jeff Hill
>>> Sydney, Australia.
>> Eduardus Godefrido sal.:
>>
>> Since I know little or nothing (actually more than nothing , since I spent a few hours trying to grok that pesky term "diamond dogs,") about Dave's work, I meant 5:15 to stand for both am and pm (post mediam noctem, post meridiem. I think it may be too late to base UTC on the epoch even of the Hijra, much less AUC. Now it's useful to imagine even the use of leap seconds as far back as the first Olympiad.
>> It is a fruit of the strangeness of time that Egyptologists know far more about life on the Nile in 3000 B.C. than did Herodotus or even Moses. Maybe when the Long Now clock strikes MMMMMMMMMM A.D. people of that time will know the days, days of the week, and times of the day of all the battles of the Trojan war, that is if we haven't exstinguished ourselves by or before then.
>>
>> Eduardus
>>
>> p.s. I think the following is the first posting to alt.language.latin:
>>
>> Greg Gioia
>> Apr 6, 1999, 2:00:00 AM
>> This could prove to be a fun group...let's get to posting, shall we?
>>
>> I was a member of the Grex Latine Loquentium then but not this group, si memoria me non fallat.
>
> oops..... fallit ..... at least I didn't write fellat .... oops, now I did.

I recall once watching a TV documentary about Bowie. How he composed
Warsaw with Brian Eno is well written up on the Net, but he used to cut
clippings out of newspapers and magazines, jumble them all up and cast
them like lots.

Diamond Dogs seems a fair candidate for that technique.

Ed

Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<07724fd8-6254-4c4c-b70e-fdf7be743daan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=147&group=alt.language.latin#147

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 10:03:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Tue, 18 May 2021 17:03 UTC

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 5:26:07 AM UTC-5, Ed Cryer wrote:

> >> Eduardus
> >>
> >> p.s. I think the following is the first posting to alt.language.latin:
> >>
> >> Greg Gioia
> >> Apr 6, 1999, 2:00:00 AM
> >> This could prove to be a fun group...let's get to posting, shall we?
> >>
> >> I was a member of the Grex Latine Loquentium then but not this group, si memoria me non fallat.
> >
> > oops..... fallit ..... at least I didn't write fellat .... oops, now I did.
> >
> I recall once watching a TV documentary about Bowie. How he composed
> Warsaw with Brian Eno is well written up on the Net, but he used to cut
> clippings out of newspapers and magazines, jumble them all up and cast
> them like lots.
>
> Diamond Dogs seems a fair candidate for that technique.
>
> Ed

That technique is neither more nor less praiseworthy or contemptible than Jackson Pollock's method of making random blotch drip paintings. As the last U.S. president but none demonstrated, chutzpah is more popular than competence.
Anyway, now I think that translating complete sentences, however aleatory they may seem, is a more useful exercise. Text only news is a good choice because it's not clear, just by reading the headlines, whether the cub reporters are showing promise of creativity or spirally descending into illiteracy: (look at cnn.lite and npr.lite e.g.
http://lite.cnn.com/en/article/h_675c372a3096646819bd2fcc6be8a464 )

Headline:
'I can't control God,' says Venus Williams following time violation due to heavy winds'

I had never heard of Miss Williams and couldn't understand the words at all.. I guessed that this might be from a very bad translation from the book of Job. But no, it's:

'Deum moderari non valeo,' dicit Venus Williams post nimiam moram folliculo pulsando propter ventos vehementiores.

valete

p.s. I'm still trying to figure out how to answer your complaints about the Nova Vulgata in the other forum.

Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<1752786945.643105491.273576.ecryer52-hotmail.com@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=148&group=alt.language.latin#148

From: ecrye...@hotmail.com (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 09:31:36 +0100
sha1:9v5ZBS6xYEa2ldESDjg+zpTQqSo=
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 19 May 2021 08:31 UTC

Btraven <caudex2@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> oops..... fallit ..... at least I didn't write fellat .... oops, now I did.
>>>
>> I recall once watching a TV documentary about Bowie. How he composed
>> Warsaw with Brian Eno is well written up on the Net, but he used to cut
>> clippings out of newspapers and magazines, jumble them all up and cast
>> them like lots.
>>
>> Diamond Dogs seems a fair candidate for that technique.
>>
>> Ed
>
> That technique is neither more nor less praiseworthy or contemptible than
> Jackson Pollock's method of making random blotch drip paintings. As the
> last U.S. president but none demonstrated, chutzpah is more popular than competence.
> Anyway, now I think that translating complete sentences, however aleatory
> they may seem, is a more useful exercise. Text only news is a good choice
> because it's not clear, just by reading the headlines, whether the cub
> reporters are showing promise of creativity or spirally descending into
> illiteracy: (look at cnn.lite and npr.lite e.g.
> http://lite.cnn.com/en/article/h_675c372a3096646819bd2fcc6be8a464 )
>
> Headline:
> 'I can't control God,' says Venus Williams following time violation due to heavy winds'
>
> I had never heard of Miss Williams and couldn't understand the words at
> all. I guessed that this might be from a very bad translation from the
> book of Job. But no, it's:
>
> 'Deum moderari non valeo,' dicit Venus Williams post nimiam moram
> folliculo pulsando propter ventos vehementiores.
>
> valete
>
> p.s. I'm still trying to figure out how to answer your complaints about
> the Nova Vulgata in the other forum.

It’s a simple case of time and history. Augustine only knew the Vetera
Vulgata, ergo ….. Incidentally, he knew and met Jerome, and they exchanged
strange letters.

--
Ed

Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<b52493b5-59d0-4219-95fe-aae2ee673acan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=152&group=alt.language.latin#152

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 08:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Wed, 19 May 2021 15:12 UTC

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 3:31:38 AM UTC-5, Ed Cryer in the UK wrote:

> > 'Deum moderari non valeo,' dicit Venus Williams post nimiam moram
> > folliculo pulsando propter ventos vehementiores.
> >
> > valete
> >
> > p.s. I'm still trying to figure out how to answer your complaints about
> > the Nova Vulgata in the other forum.
> >
> It’s a simple case of time and history. Augustine only knew the Vetera
> Vulgata, ergo ….. Incidentally, he knew and met Jerome, and they exchanged
> strange letters.
>
> --
> Ed

This is the first I've heard about A and J having met in person. Jerome left Rome in 385 and Augustine didn't convert until 386. Augustine knew the Vetus Latina and the Septuagint and later read or heard about Jerome's translations from the Hebrew, which he considered as less authoritative than the Septuagint.
I had found a site with their letters in Latin but I've lost it. Documenta Catholica Omnia doesn't seem to be available anymore either.

vale

Re: Meaning: fuzzy and focused

<s85c9a$o3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=153&group=alt.language.latin#153

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 11:00:43 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 20 May 2021 10:00 UTC

Btraven wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 3:31:38 AM UTC-5, Ed Cryer in the UK wrote:
>
>>> 'Deum moderari non valeo,' dicit Venus Williams post nimiam moram
>>> folliculo pulsando propter ventos vehementiores.
>>>
>>> valete
>>>
>>> p.s. I'm still trying to figure out how to answer your complaints about
>>> the Nova Vulgata in the other forum.
>>>
>> It’s a simple case of time and history. Augustine only knew the Vetera
>> Vulgata, ergo ….. Incidentally, he knew and met Jerome, and they exchanged
>> strange letters.
>>
>> --
>> Ed
>
> This is the first I've heard about A and J having met in person. Jerome left Rome in 385 and Augustine didn't convert until 386. Augustine knew the Vetus Latina and the Septuagint and later read or heard about Jerome's translations from the Hebrew, which he considered as less authoritative than the Septuagint.
> I had found a site with their letters in Latin but I've lost it. Documenta Catholica Omnia doesn't seem to be available anymore either.
>
> vale

Ignosce, quaeso, meo errori. In animo enim Aurelium Ambrosium, episcopum
Mediolanensem, habebam; hominem clarum ob facultatem quae plurimis eo
tempore deerat, "sed cum legebat, oculi ducebantur per paginas et cor
intellectum rimabatur, vox autem et lingua quiescebant" (ut nos
certiores in suis Confessionibus Augustinus fecit).

Edus