From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Hops Dealer Tom Gimbel Supplied Brewers Around the World
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 06:00:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 06:00 UTC

Dave P. <imbibe@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Hops Dealer Tom Gimbel Supplied Brewers Around the World
> By James R. Hagerty, Oct. 25, 2022, WSJ
>
> When Louis S. ?Tom? Gimbel III was a boy, his father?s side of the family ran the Gimbels department-store chain, including a huge store at Herald Square in Manhattan. His mother?s family brewed Rheingold beer and traded in hops.
>
> After graduating from Yale and serving in the Air Force, Mr. Gimbel chose hops over retailing. He joined the family?s S.S. Steiner Inc. in the 50s, took a crash course in brewing, moved into sales and by the late 60s, was running the company with his younger brother, Stinor. He later bought his brother?s stake and ran the company on his own.
>
> Mr. Gimbel invested in machinery to process hops into easier-to-ship pellets. He opened new markets in Asia and Africa. He steered the company through an antitrust dispute in the mid-80s and a collapse of hop prices due to overproduction in 1983. The company, now known as Hopsteiner, grows hops and buys from other producers. It also processes hops and sells them around the world. Adam Gimbel, one of Tom Gimbel?s sons, says Hopsteiner is one of the world?s top five suppliers of hops.
>
> By contrast, the Gimbels retailing business was sold to a British tobacco company in 1973 and disappeared in 1986 when the stores were sold and renamed or closed.

The Gimbel & Sons store in Maine,which the NY Gimbel Brothers
(the company actually originated in Indiana) tried & failed to
shut down over trademark infringement allegations in the 1970s,
is still around,though they appear to have given up the gimbels.com
website while another unrelated entity is gimbelstore.com.

(For a while,the NY-from-Indiana Gimbels owned Washington-DC-born-moved-to-NY
Saks,which survives under other ownership).

-=-=-

Re: Hops Dealer Tom Gimbel Supplied Brewers Around the World

<041120220440008492%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14897&group=alt.obituaries#14897

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 04:40:00 -0400
 by: A Friend - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:40 UTC

In article <tk29pj$54c$1@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
<le@top.put.com> wrote:

> Dave P. <imbibe@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Hops Dealer Tom Gimbel Supplied Brewers Around the World
> > By James R. Hagerty, Oct. 25, 2022, WSJ
> >
> > When Louis S. ?Tom? Gimbel III was a boy, his father?s side of the family
> > ran the Gimbels department-store chain, including a huge store at Herald
> > Square in Manhattan. His mother?s family brewed Rheingold beer and traded
> > in hops.
> >
> > After graduating from Yale and serving in the Air Force, Mr. Gimbel chose
> > hops over retailing. He joined the family?s S.S. Steiner Inc. in the 50s,
> > took a crash course in brewing, moved into sales and by the late 60s, was
> > running the company with his younger brother, Stinor. He later bought his
> > brother?s stake and ran the company on his own.
> >
> > Mr. Gimbel invested in machinery to process hops into easier-to-ship
> > pellets. He opened new markets in Asia and Africa. He steered the company
> > through an antitrust dispute in the mid-80s and a collapse of hop prices
> > due to overproduction in 1983. The company, now known as Hopsteiner, grows
> > hops and buys from other producers. It also processes hops and sells them
> > around the world. Adam Gimbel, one of Tom Gimbel?s sons, says Hopsteiner is
> > one of the world?s top five suppliers of hops.
> >
> > By contrast, the Gimbels retailing business was sold to a British tobacco
> > company in 1973 and disappeared in 1986 when the stores were sold and
> > renamed or closed.
>
> The Gimbel & Sons store in Maine,which the NY Gimbel Brothers
> (the company actually originated in Indiana) tried & failed to
> shut down over trademark infringement allegations in the 1970s,
> is still around,though they appear to have given up the gimbels.com
> website while another unrelated entity is gimbelstore.com.
>
> (For a while,the NY-from-Indiana Gimbels owned Washington-DC-born-moved-to-NY
> Saks,which survives under other ownership).

We brave souls who worked the Christmas rush at Gimbels in 1973 trooped
across the street to a cheap bar for lunch, which we drank. This is
how we got through the evening rush.