interests / soc.history.war.misc / A Quora - How did Moskva sink?

SubjectAuthor
* A Quora - How did Moskva sink?a425couple
`* Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?Keith Willshaw
 `* Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?Jim Wilkins
  `* Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?Keith Willshaw
   `* Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?Jim Wilkins
    `* Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?Stephen Harding
     `* Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?Keith Willshaw
      +* Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?Peter Stickney
      |`- Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?a425couple
      `- Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?Stephen Harding

1
A Quora - How did Moskva sink?

<zMUYL.1522730$8_id.1338136@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1492&group=soc.history.war.misc#1492

Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 07:09:35 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 14:09 UTC

DMaybe all true, maybe not.

ennis Carroll
23h
Hard to believe they would leave the ship in that condition and the let
the report out.

Profile photo for Alex Mann
Alex Mann
Historian (2017–present)6mo
How did Moskva sink?
We are going to talk for a minute about modern warships and how they
work. I know this is a lot of technical jargon but there is a reason I
am being this detailed. Once you see the full picture, it’s jaw-dropping.

Moskva was a rare ship- a powerful warship crammed with every type of
weapon you could need. It was the Flagship of the Black Sea Fleet and
the pride of the Russian Navy.

Now with any big ship, the biggest threat is anti-ship missiles. These
missiles can really do a number on ships and the bigger the target the
easier it is to hit.

So the Moskva had a 3-layered anti-air defense system. This is as
advanced if not more advance than what many modern US Warships have. It
went like this

1st layer: S-300F: These are long-range surface-to-air missiles that can
intercept aircraft or missiles and destroy them

2nd Layer: 9K33 OSA: These are short range surface to air missiles to
provide defense if the S-300 fails

3rd layer: AK-630: These are Rotary cannons that fill the air with
bullets kinda like the Vulcan on US ships

On top of this, the Moskva had a large 130 mm auto-cannon,
anti-submarine missiles, and P-500 Bazalt anti-ship missiles. This ship
was loaded with more weaponry than any other ship on the seas.

So what happened? Well in summary the ship was sighted by drones and 2
Neptune anti-ship missiles were fired at the Moskva. They hit the ship
and the resulting damage eventually sank her. Pretty simple right?
Russia just claimed there was a normal fire but the pictures we see of
the ship make it clear what happened. Random fires don’t sink
uber-expensive modern warships.

This leaves 2 questions.

How did these missiles penetrate the 3-layer defense system? Seriously
this system is designed from the ground up to specifically counter NATO
munitions- which the Neptune 100% is
Why did damage control fail? The Moskva had state-of-the-art damage
control systems. On modern ships, these systems can allow damaged ships
to continue fighting and functioning or limp back to port. The Moskva
was built to take hits like this and keep rolling so what happened?
For a while, this was a mystery but not anymore. You see 14 days before
the Ukraine invasion an inspection of the Moskva was carried out by the
Russian government and a report was filed. This is where things get amazing.

That S-300 missile system? Well, the radar system it depended on to work
interfered with communications and was turned off meaning they didn’t work.
That 9KSS missile system? It hadn’t been working for months and was
totally non-functional
How about those AK-630 mini-guns? Well, 5 of the 6 had been stripped for
parts, leaving only 1 functional.
That complex “3-layer defense system” was completely offline.

Ok so what about damage control?

Most of the safety equipment had been stolen and sold on the black
market. What little remained was locked up by the captain and thus
unavailable in an emergency
Of the 500 required fire extinguishers- only 50 remained
Most water-tight doors either leaked or were jammed open
The control systems either didn’t work or didn’t indicate their status
to the bridge
So not only were the defense weapons busted- damage control was busted
too. That’s not even everything.

The steering system was jammed, 2 of the 4 engines were past their life
cycle and didn’t work, and the power generators didn’t work. Oh and that
cool looking 130 mm gun? Hydraulic leak- NON-FUNCTIONAL.

No US Navy ship would EVER be in such a sorry state let alone sent into
combat barely functional. The fact Russia sent the Moskva out to war in
this state is telling. Everything Russia has looks tough but beneath
that exterior, you find greed and incompetence.

So what sank the Moskva? Well, it’s the same thing that sunk the Kursk,
blew up Chornobyl, and allowed Stalin to take power- greed,
incompetence, and arrogance.

179.7K views8.6K upvotes98 shares348 comments
6.9K views
View 48 upvotes
1 comment from
Antonius Budianto

Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?

<u1h96v$2k47n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1498&group=soc.history.war.misc#1498

From: keithwil...@gmail.com (Keith Willshaw)
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Subject: Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 17:53:51 +0100
 by: Keith Willshaw - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 16:53 UTC

On 10/04/2023 15:09, a425couple wrote:
> [...]
> to the bridge
> So not only were the defense weapons busted- damage control was busted
> too. That’s not even everything.
>
> The steering system was jammed, 2 of the 4 engines were past their life
> cycle and didn’t work, and the power generators didn’t work. Oh and that
> cool looking 130 mm gun? Hydraulic leak- NON-FUNCTIONAL.
>
> No US Navy ship would EVER be in such a sorry state let alone sent into
> combat barely functional. The fact Russia sent the Moskva out to war in
> this state is telling. Everything Russia has looks tough but beneath
> that exterior, you find greed and incompetence.
>
> So what sank the Moskva? Well, it’s the same thing that sunk the Kursk,
> blew up Chornobyl, and allowed Stalin to take power- greed,
> incompetence, and arrogance.
>
> 179.7K views8.6K upvotes98 shares348 comments

In a simple phrase, incompetence at every level. The Russians have shown
they can hit something static the size of a Tower Black and not much else.

Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?

<u1hu9k$2ncaq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1499&group=soc.history.war.misc#1499

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 18:52:33 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 22:52 UTC

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message news:u1h96v$2k47n$1@dont-email.me...

In a simple phrase, incompetence at every level. The Russians have shown
they can hit something static the size of a Tower Black and not much else.

-------------------

Victor Belenko's book describes the don't-give-a-$#!+ attitude that
Communism created. Even as a labor camp POW Erich Hartmann had to work only
half a day, like his guards.

https://www.amazon.com/Mig-Pilot-Final-Escape-Belenko/dp/0380538687

"In addition to an exciting escape story it reveals why the Soviet Union had
to collapse of its own ineptitude, deceit, and corruption."

I have a Soviet military manual that prohibits pounding on ammunition with a
rock.

Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?

<u1jjgn$32e3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1500&group=soc.history.war.misc#1500

From: keithwil...@gmail.com (Keith Willshaw)
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 15:01:57 +0100
 by: Keith Willshaw - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:01 UTC

On 16/04/2023 23:52, Jim Wilkins wrote:
----------------

> Victor Belenko's book describes the don't-give-a-$#!+ attitude that
> Communism created. Even as a labor camp POW Erich Hartmann had to work
> only half a day, like his guards.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Mig-Pilot-Final-Escape-Belenko/dp/0380538687
>
> "In addition to an exciting escape story it reveals why the Soviet Union
> had to collapse of its own ineptitude, deceit, and corruption."
>
> I have a Soviet military manual that prohibits pounding on ammunition
> with a rock.

I made several work trips to the USSR as was and learned that this was
very much a Russian problem. We had customers for our software in
Czechslovakia and Hungary. They made the transition to the post Soviet
reality with no problems but the Russians never did seem to grasp even
the basic concepts of doing business. As for taking the initative they
regarded that as insane. The Russians were running ancient copies of the
Vax 11. The Czechs had the latest and greatest Silicon Graphics
Workstations but then they made a profit and are still in business.

The initial Russian attack on Kyiv was the most incompetent action seen
since Il Duce sent his forces against the British in North Africa. The
plan was simple, we drive into the capital city in lightly armoured
vehicles in broad daylight, what could possibly go wrong ?

Then they hit the road block and the troops on either side of the
highway. It was like shooting tethered sheep and this was their special
forces !

Worse they found the vehicles they used didnt actually have military
grade tyres and kevlar, they were just standard civilian trucks, the
generals were sending invoices in for new mil spec equipment but what
was given to the military were 20 year vehicles that had been sitting in
a field.

And then there was the genius who senf a Russian battalion into the
Chernobyl exclusion zone and had them camp in the Red Zone which is
probably the most radioactive zone outside a reactor core ! Within a
week they had to medivac them all.

Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?

<u1k6da$35fap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1501&group=soc.history.war.misc#1501

From: smhard...@verizon.net (Stephen Harding)
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 15:24:24 -0400
 by: Stephen Harding - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 19:24 UTC

I spent quite a bit of time on Soviet fishing trawlers during the late
1970's and early 80's. Their sonar, fishing net transducers and radios
were really old school. Even still vacuum tubes in some gear. The good
stuff went to the Soviet military.

But while at UMass Computer Science Department, we had some really top
notch Russian doctoral and post-doctoral students (one of whom is now a
professor at a school in England I believe). This was of course after
the demise of the USSR.

The Russians have always had top notch theoreticians, especially in
mathematics, physics, cosmology and computer science and more. Someone
said the Russians could do great theory because they didn't have the
infrastructure to do the engineering that might come from such
theoretical research. Don't know if that is really true.

I was always more impressed with Russian (Soviet) resolve more than
anything. "Keeps a licking and keeps on ticking" seemed to say it all.

Which makes me wary of confidently writing off the Russian effort in
Ukraine!

On 4/17/23 2:24 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Keith Willshaw"  wrote in message news:u1jjgn$32e3s$1@dont-email.me...
> The Russians were running ancient copies of the
> Vax 11. ...
>
> ---------------------
> In the 80's I was on the design team for automatic semiconductor wafer
> test equipment based on a VAX LSI-11. My part was designing and building
> the test and calibration fixtures for the analog murement cards, plus
> programming the machine's self-test routines. There was one Russian
> émigré on the team, tasked with something on a wirewrap card that went
> into the LSI-11 card cage. The project wasn't very challenging digitally
> and all but the Russian designed circuits that worked well with little
> or no modification. His circuit kept needing extra components and tweaks
> that outgrew the wirewrap area and spilled onto a piece of perfboard
> that hung off the side by its wiring, insulated within a taped-on paper
> envelope. To him that was acceptable normal practice.
>
> I may have previously mentioned another Russian engineer who showed me
> how to align the lenses in their military optical equipment by bending
> the frame with his fingers until he liked the result.

Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?

<u1k2uk$34u89$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1502&group=soc.history.war.misc#1502

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:24:17 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 18:24 UTC

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message news:u1jjgn$32e3s$1@dont-email.me...
The Russians were running ancient copies of the
Vax 11. ...

---------------------
In the 80's I was on the design team for automatic semiconductor wafer test
equipment based on a VAX LSI-11. My part was designing and building the test
and calibration fixtures for the analog measurement cards, plus programming
the machine's self-test routines. There was one Russian émigré on the team,
tasked with something on a wirewrap card that went into the LSI-11 card
cage. The project wasn't very challenging digitally and all but the Russian
designed circuits that worked well with little or no modification. His
circuit kept needing extra components and tweaks that outgrew the wirewrap
area and spilled onto a piece of perfboard that hung off the side by its
wiring, insulated within a taped-on paper envelope. To him that was
acceptable normal practice.

I may have previously mentioned another Russian engineer who showed me how
to align the lenses in their military optical equipment by bending the frame
with his fingers until he liked the result.

Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?

<u1m0e4$3h6ii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1504&group=soc.history.war.misc#1504

From: keithwil...@gmail.com (Keith Willshaw)
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:54:43 +0100
 by: Keith Willshaw - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 11:54 UTC

On 17/04/2023 20:24, Stephen Harding wrote:
> I spent quite a bit of time on Soviet fishing trawlers during the late
> 1970's and early 80's.  Their sonar, fishing net transducers and radios
> were really old school.  Even still vacuum tubes in some gear.  The good
> stuff went to the Soviet military.
>
> But while at UMass Computer Science Department, we had some really top
> notch Russian doctoral and post-doctoral students (one of whom is now a
> professor at a school in England I believe).  This was of course after
> the demise of the USSR.
>
> The Russians have always had top notch theoreticians, especially in
> mathematics, physics, cosmology and computer science and more.  Someone
> said the Russians could do great theory because they didn't have the
> infrastructure to do the engineering that might come from such
> theoretical research.  Don't know if that is really true.
>
> I was always more impressed with Russian (Soviet) resolve more than
> anything.  "Keeps a licking and keeps on ticking" seemed to say it all.
>
> Which makes me wary of confidently writing off the Russian effort in
> Ukraine!

The problem with the Russian Army is a combination of their old
weakness, the lack of a professional NCO corps and the new regime which
is basically a kleptocracy. The Russian military does have NCO's but
their role is basically just to ensure the rank and file does as they
are told.

In the 1980's I did a lot of work with the USSR in the oil and gas
industry, their main problem was a system which was very hierarchical
and positively discouraged initiative but was at least honest.

One Soviet Engineer I got on really well with explained how that works.
If you come up with a good idea your boss will take all the credit but
if there are problems you will get all the blame. At the worst that you
used to mean going to jail or being shot for economic sabotage but in
more enlightened times working permanent night shifts at a tractor
factory in Tomsk.

A bigger problem they now have to deal with is that when Putin announced
conscription the highest qualified young graduates simply left while the
going was good. I worked with a Russian software engineer based in St
Petersburg load his computers and server into the back of the car and
left. He is now based in Helsinki. The way they operate conscription is
insane, they just made a lost of everyone under the age of 40 and put
them on the list. The result is that industrial production is falling so
fast that they are buying munitions and weapons from North Korea and
Iran. This was made worse because all the consumer goods they were
making such as Renault cars have closed as they can no longer import the
engine management systems so its back to old designsfrom Lada

The only places they can sell oil to are China and India at a price
which means they are losing money.

Another example is the English Language paper The Moscow Times, they
now operate from Armenia having left Moscow to avoid censorship.

I like Russians but I hate to see what the gangsters running the country
I have done to it. I had a certain respect for the last Soviet leaders
like Yeltsin but Putin spen most of his career in the KGB spying on
students in Dresden.

Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?

<u1qkgf$3ug9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1505&group=soc.history.war.misc#1505

Followup: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: p_stick...@verizon.net (Peter Stickney)
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 06:01:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter Stickney - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 06:01 UTC

On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:54:43 +0100, Keith Willshaw wrote:

> On 17/04/2023 20:24, Stephen Harding wrote:
>> I spent quite a bit of time on Soviet fishing trawlers during the late
>> 1970's and early 80's.  Their sonar, fishing net transducers and radios
>> were really old school.  Even still vacuum tubes in some gear.  The
>> good stuff went to the Soviet military.
>>
>> But while at UMass Computer Science Department, we had some really top
>> notch Russian doctoral and post-doctoral students (one of whom is now a
>> professor at a school in England I believe).  This was of course after
>> the demise of the USSR.
>>
>> The Russians have always had top notch theoreticians, especially in
>> mathematics, physics, cosmology and computer science and more.  Someone
>> said the Russians could do great theory because they didn't have the
>> infrastructure to do the engineering that might come from such
>> theoretical research.  Don't know if that is really true.
>>
>> I was always more impressed with Russian (Soviet) resolve more than
>> anything.  "Keeps a licking and keeps on ticking" seemed to say it all.
>>
>> Which makes me wary of confidently writing off the Russian effort in
>> Ukraine!
>>

> The problem with the Russian Army is a combination of their old
> weakness, the lack of a professional NCO corps and the new regime which
> is basically a kleptocracy. The Russian military does have NCO's but
> their role is basically just to ensure the rank and file does as they
> are told.
>
> In the 1980's I did a lot of work with the USSR in the oil and gas
> industry, their main problem was a system which was very hierarchical
> and positively discouraged initiative but was at least honest.

It's not like things were better in the Soviet Days - One of my people
when I was running part of a project for the U.S. Navy has been the Air
Warfare Officer for the Theodore Roosevelt's Carrier Battle Group. His
ship was monitoring Soviet exercises in the Med, including the Kirov and
the Slava (Later renamed Moskva) ended up in a port visit for repairs at
teh same time that he was there. (May have been Alexandria) - He noted
that not only was it the sorriest looking ship he'd ever encountered -
more rust than paint - but that not two sailors wore the same uniform.
They were all in a mix-and-mach of whatever was in the stores and sort of
fit. He also noted that they had a lot of electronic deconfliction
problems - various radars tuned so that they overlapped with another
system, both same-ship and withing their flotilla. This led, during their
exercises, to a lot of intra-ship radio comms screaming about how they
couldn't tell whose blips were whose - as they picked up radar returns
from the other ship's transmissions.
I don't think it got better.
I've seen Russian newsreel film of the Black Gang on Moskva, at the engine
control consoles - shorts and no shirts. Any casualty, fire or steam
leak, and those guys are a crispy critter or a pink mist.
Keith, given what you've noticed with Russian Industrial Culture, and the
general attitude of "My Carrot, Your Stick"m I have to wonder how many of
their gas line and factory explosions, and transport accidents are
deliberate action, or business as usual.

--
Peter Stickney
Java Man knew nothing about coffee

Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?

<Qbm0M.495859$5S78.44224@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1506&group=soc.history.war.misc#1506

Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:05:35 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 02:05 UTC

On 4/19/23 23:01, Peter Stickney wrote:
> [...]
> problems - various radars tuned so that they overlapped with another
> system, both same-ship and withing their flotilla. This led, during their
> exercises, to a lot of intra-ship radio comms screaming about how they
> couldn't tell whose blips were whose - as they picked up radar returns
> from the other ship's transmissions.
> I don't think it got better.
> I've seen Russian newsreel film of the Black Gang on Moskva, at the engine
> control consoles - shorts and no shirts. Any casualty, fire or steam
> leak, and those guys are a crispy critter or a pink mist.
> Keith, given what you've noticed with Russian Industrial Culture, and the
> general attitude of "My Carrot, Your Stick"m I have to wonder how many of
> their gas line and factory explosions, and transport accidents are
> deliberate action, or business as usual.

IMHO, fascinating discussion. Thank You!!

Re: A Quora - How did Moskva sink?

<u1tm4s$12k74$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1507&group=soc.history.war.misc#1507

From: smhard...@verizon.net (Stephen Harding)
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 05:48:12 -0400
 by: Stephen Harding - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 09:48 UTC

On 4/18/23 7:54 AM, Keith Wills haw wrote:
> [...]
> insane, they just made a lost of everyone under the age of 40 and put
> them on the list. The result is that industrial production is falling so
> fast that they are buying munitions and weapons from North Korea and
> Iran. This was made worse because all the consumer goods they were
> making such as Renault cars have closed as they can no longer import the
> engine management systems so its back to old designsfrom Lada
>
> The only places they can sell oil to are China anndia at a price
> which means they are losing money.
>
> Another example is the English Language paper The Moscow Times, they now
> operate from Armenia having left Moscow to avoid censorship.
>
> I like Russians but I hate to see what the gangsters running the country
> I have done to it. I had a certain respect for the last Soviet leaders
> like Yeltsin but Putin spen most of his career in the KGB spying on

I never saw the "pass the buck" behavior when I was aboard Soviet
fishing trawlers, but I would have little opportunity to do so.

I did note however that the large BERT trawlers had an essentially
military chain of command, although the First Officer was actually the
political officer and wasn't responsible for running the ship. He was
sort of like a union shop steward who would act as an intermediary
between deck and factory crew (the blue collar workers) and the officers
(white collar). Some of them were quite good but others were constantly
trying to score points against you or hiding as much as possible what
the ship was doing, even when operating legally.

Overall, a very secretive bunch. Even watching the movies they showed
the crew at times, if they weren't WWII movies, were dark with
characters constantly plotting against one another or listening behind a
door. Seemed to do a lot of leering as well.

But I felt that crew could easily come off that fishing trawler and
become a destroyer crew in a moments notice.

Given what we know about the current Russian Navy, seems a Midwestern
farmer might do just as well!