Subject: Re:_Gun_Sellers’_Message_to_Americans:_Man_Up
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 01:57:24 -0400
 by: bfh - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 05:57 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:

> "Gun Sellers’ Message to Americans: Man Up"
>
> "The number of firearms in the U.S. is outpacing the country’s
> population, as an emboldened gun industry and its allies target buyers
> with rhetoric of fear, machismo and defiance."
>
> "
> By Mike McIntire, Glenn Thrush and Eric Lipton
> June 18, 2022
>
> Last November, hours after a jury acquitted Kyle Rittenhouse of two
> shooting deaths during antiracism protests in 2020, a Florida gun
> dealer created an image of him brandishing an assault rifle, with the
> slogan: “BE A MAN AMONG MEN.”
>
> Mr. Rittenhouse was not yet a man when he killed two people and
> wounded another in Kenosha, Wis. — he was 17 — but he aspired to
> be like one. And the firearms industry, backed by years of research
> and focus groups, knows that other Americans do, too.
>
> Gun companies have spent the last two decades scrutinizing their
> market and refocusing their message away from hunting toward selling
> handguns for personal safety, as well as military-style weapons
> attractive to mostly young men. The sales pitch — rooted in
> self-defense, machismo and an overarching sense of fear — has been
> remarkably successful.
>
> Firearm sales have skyrocketed, with background checks rising from 8.5
> million in 2000 to 38.9 million last year. The number of guns is
> outpacing the population. Women, spurred by appeals that play on fears
> of crime and being caught unprepared, are the fastest-growing segment
> of buyers.
>
> An examination by The New York Times of firearms marketing research,
> along with legal and lobbying efforts by gun rights groups, finds that
> behind the shift in gun culture is an array of interests that share a
> commercial and political imperative: more guns and freer access to
> them. Working together, gun makers, advocates and elected officials
> have convinced a large swath of Americans that they should have a
> firearm, and eased the legal path for them to do so.
>
> Some of the research is publicly known, but by searching court filings
> and online archives, The Times gained new insight into how gun
> companies exploit the anxiety and desires of Americans. Using Madison
> Avenue methods, the firearms industry has sliced and diced consumer
> attributes to find pressure points — self-esteem, lack of trust in
> others, fear of losing control — useful in selling more guns.
>
> In a paradigm-setting 2012 ad in Maxim magazine, Bushmaster — which
> manufactured the rifle used in the racist massacre in Buffalo in May
> — declared, “Consider your man card reissued"
> [snip]
>
> "Anxiety Sells"
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/18/us/firearm-gun-sales.html
>
>      Hmmmmmm, sounds like some sort of metallic penis.

Women, spurred by appeals that play on fears of crime and being caught
unprepared, are the fastest-growing segment of buyers.
At the end of the day going forward in this fast-changing world of
regendering, I guess women want a penis, too.

--
bill

Re: Gun Sellers’ Message to Americans: Man Up

<t8q41n$u35$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15139&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#15139

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:34:23 -0500
 by: George.Anthony - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 15:34 UTC

On 6/19/2022 12:57 AM, bfh wrote:
> [...]
>> companies exploit the anxiety and desires of Americans. Using Madison
>> Avenue methods, the firearms industry has sliced and diced consumer
>> attributes to find pressure points — self-esteem, lack of trust in
>> others, fear of losing control — useful in selling more guns.
>>
>> In a paradigm-setting 2012 ad in Maxim magazine, Bushmaster — which
>> manufactured the rifle used in the racist massacre in Buffalo in May
>> — declared, “Consider your man card reissued"
>> [snip]
>>
>> "Anxiety Sells"
>>
>> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/18/us/firearm-gun-sales.html
>>
>>       Hmmmmmm, sounds like some sort of metallic penis.

> Women, spurred by appeals that play on fears of crime and being caught
> unprepared, are the fastest-growing segment of buyers.
> At the end of the day going forward in this fast-changing world of
> regendering, I guess women want a penis, too.

The pendulum among all groups continues to swing to the right. At this
rate it will come of and go so far to the right the loonie lefties won't
be able to find it much less get it swinging in the other direction.

And just to add a little triggering, Trump was right.

--
- People are so judgmental... I can tell just by looking at them.