Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 12:44:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: More Riesling (1985-2006) plus a Rieslaner TBA
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 19:44 UTC

Sunday was a beautiful day to spend on a patio with a great view drinking Riesling. A nice group gathered at Mark’s. While we were waiting for Nick (who showed up on time for pickup, but restaurant wasn’t ready) , I blinded everyone with a wine. 2004 Donnhoff Estate Riesling. Everyone liked, Joe guessed 2004 Mosel Spatlese, got vintage on first shot. Lime and apple, crisp acids, good length, no oxidation. B/B+

There was also a nice bottle of Roederer Brut Premier, I took no notes, but always like

Nick arrived with a carful of dim sum- Pork shu mai, shrimp shu mai, pork dumplings, shrimp dumplings, green beans with pork, chicken, stuffed chili peppers, egg rolls, bok choy , and more

On to the flights
2004 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Spatlese
Peach and citrus, good acids, creamy texture, real Spatlese not trying to be Auslese. B+

2004 August Kesseler Rudesheimer Bischofsberg Riesling Spatlese Goldkapsel
Rich, full, and sweet, pineapple and a yeasty note, good but I prefer the svelter Donnhoff. B/B-

2006 Donnhoff Norheimer Dellchen Spatlese (Auction Bottling)
Peaches, apricot, beeswax, showing a bit of botrytis. I think others liked more than I did. B

2006 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Spatlese (Auction Bottling)-
Even more botrytis, honied, complex but a bit much for me. B/B-

1986 Maximin Grunhauser ( Von Schubert) Herrenberg Spatlese
This has dropped most of its sugar, could pass for Kab or even halbtrocken, orchard pit fruits with ginger, petrol, and smoke. I liked more than most (and took home and liked later). A-

1985 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Spatlese AP# 8 (Auction)
Faulty cork- oxidized and corked!

2005 Zilliken Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Auslese
More evolved than the 02 Rausch - vintage, vineyard, or did it see some warmth? Mature, warm peach with a little vanilla, round. B/B-

2002 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Auslese
Apple,. White cherries,a bit of petrol, long, fresh. B+/A-

2001 JJ Prum Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese-
While,this didn’t have the richness and length of the 01 Wehlener Sonnenuhr we had Friday, it was still a lovely bottle of maturing Auslese. Citrus, honey, and slate, good acids, nice length. A-/B+

2001 Max Ferdinand Richter Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Auslese**-
I think I liked this more than group. I think it was light and showing less botrytis than I’d expect for a Auslese 2 star, but that’s fine my me. Fresh, crisp, bright. B+

2001 Karthauserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Auslese
Joe who brought thought this wasn’t typical bottle, but I enjoyed. Nice flavor profile with ginger, citrus and just a hint of smoke and petrol, a little soft for 2001 (Joe said previous livelier). Still fun. John told funny story about why only neck label. B

2004 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese
I thought this stunning. Electric, precise, taut. Peaches with jumper cables attached, with petrol, slate, and lemon zest. A/A-

2001 Keller Monsheimer Silberberg Rieslaner GK Trockenbeerenauslese Goldkapsel (375 ml)
Speaking of jumper cables, wow. Great acids, piercing flavors of apples, apricot, Earl Gray, and honey. Endless finish. What a way to finish. In the HGS tradition, A/A-

There were about 6 or 7 more half bottles left, but we all felt we had done enough for one day. Thanks to Mark & Nancy for hosting, John for organizing, Nick for picking up food, and all for good company.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.