Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: A Quora about The Norwegian Crusade (around 1111)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 09:59:31 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 22 May 2023 16:59 UTC

Maps & Charts 🗺️📊📈 ·
Posted by
Alice G.
Fri

The Norwegian Crusade led by King Sigurd I Magnusson, though not widely
known, had a significant impact.

King Sigurd set sail from Norway with 60 ships and 5000 men. They spent
the winter in England before engaging in battles in Iberia and the
Balearic Islands. They then wintered in Sicily, where they received a
warm welcome from Norman lord Roger II.

From Sicily, they continued their journey and arrived at Acre, which
was part of the Kingdom of Jerusalem ruled by Baldwin I. Baldwin greeted
Sigurd and together they fought against the Saracens. After their time
in Acre, Sigurd sailed to Constantinople. There, he left his ships and
many treasures with Emperor Alexios Komnenos. In return, Alexios
provided Sigurd with strong horses, gifts, and supplies. Some of
Sigurd's men chose to remain and serve in the Varangian Guard, while
Sigurd and his remaining men continued their journey on land.

Finally, in 1111, Sigurd returned to Norway as a wealthy man. He arrived
in a prosperous kingdom co-ruled by his brother, Eystein I. The red line
on the map represents their journey to the Holy Land, while the green
line shows their route back home.

22.7K views
View 249 upvotes
View 4 shares
25 comments from Alfred Bortne and more

Alfred Bortne · Sat
Sigurd Jorsalfarer. Jorsal is Jerusalem.

Bob Backway · Sat
The Hagia Sophia in Istanbul has a viking inscription on a stone railing
on the first floor said to be inscribed by a member of the Varangian Guard.

Revetastogne · Fri
The vikings did so lengthy way!

They were for so long away!

They walked on foot and sailed in barque!

I also go for walk in park.

Johan Grönwall · Sat
This was no vikings, though. They were christians.

Hauk Hawkevick · Sat
Kong Sigurd was a crusader.

Alvin Riddle · Fri
I enjoyed this post very much, thank you Alice.

Alfred Bortne · Sat
Look at the map, these ‘vikings’ knew their world. Svava/Schwaben,
Beiaraland/Bayern, Valland/Wallonia, Borgaraland/Bulgaria. Lizibon,
Spani, they are all there. England was sometimes called Bretland.
Fascinating!

Mike Blair · Sun
And Pannonia is still a cultural concept across several borders!

Alfred Bortne · Sun
And Menork. Sikileyar/Sikilislands is Sicily. I love this!