The last thing one knows in constructing a work is what to put first. -- Blaise Pascal

arts / rec.arts.tv / [OT] Doppelgangers

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] DoppelgangersRhino
+* Re: [OT] Doppelgangerssuzeeq
|`- Re: [OT] DoppelgangersRhino
+* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersEGK
|`- Re: [OT] DoppelgangersRhino
+* Re: [OT] Doppelgangersanim8rfsk
|+* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersA Friend
||+* Re: [OT] Doppelgangersanim8rfsk
|||`- Re: [OT] DoppelgangersA Friend
||+* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersEd Stasiak
|||`* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersA Friend
||| +- Re: [OT] DoppelgangersEd Stasiak
||| `- Re: [OT] DoppelgangersThe Horny Goat
||`* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersRhino
|| `* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersA Friend
||  `* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersRhino
||   +* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersA Friend
||   |`* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersRhino
||   | `* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersA Friend
||   |  +* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersRhino
||   |  |`- Re: [OT] DoppelgangersA Friend
||   |  `- Re: [OT] DoppelgangersThe Horny Goat
||   `- Re: [OT] DoppelgangersThe Horny Goat
|`* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersRhino
| `* Re: [OT] Doppelgangersanim8rfsk
|  `- Re: [OT] DoppelgangersRhino
+* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersmoviePig
|`* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersThe Horny Goat
| `* Re: [OT] DoppelgangersmoviePig
|  `- Re: [OT] DoppelgangersThe Horny Goat
`- Re: [OT] DoppelgangersUbiquitous

Pages:12
[OT] Doppelgangers

<tekrj1$1f4u6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154785&group=rec.arts.tv#154785

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Doppelgangers
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 07:16:48 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 11:16 UTC

An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspired-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794

I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<tel5ho$ka2j$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154808&group=rec.arts.tv#154808

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Doppelgangers
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 07:06:46 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 14:06 UTC

On 8/30/2022 4:16 AM, Rhino wrote:
> An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
> of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
> photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
>
> https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspired-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794
>

> I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
> the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
> line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
> was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
> also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
> alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
> had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
> But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.

People have been telling me I look like someone else they met, like a
friend's cousin, or even just someone on the street. Get us side by side
and there's maybe a similarity, but not that close.

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<tel5q5$1g3n6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154809&group=rec.arts.tv#154809

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 10:11:16 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 14:11 UTC

On 2022-08-30 10:06 AM, suzeeq wrote:
> On 8/30/2022 4:16 AM, Rhino wrote:
>> An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
>> of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
>> photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
>>
>> https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspired-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794
>>

>> I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
>> the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in
>> a line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that
>> he was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one
>> that I also had; I may not have been wearing it that day).
>> Unfortunately, I was alone in both cases and without a camera so I
>> have no proof. Also, if I had gotten closer, the resemblance might
>> have been considerably less. But from the distance I was, he looked a
>> LOT like me.
>>
> People have been telling me I look like someone else they met, like a
> friend's cousin, or even just someone on the street. Get us side by side
> and there's maybe a similarity, but not that close.

The resemblances in the article I cited are pretty remarkable but he may
have done some cherry-picking to get the very best ones.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<cg7sghd1oltuheb2tn37b9kk9uk2rqun42@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154811&group=rec.arts.tv#154811

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 10:28:37 -0400
 by: EGK - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 14:28 UTC

On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 07:16:48 -0400, Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
wrote:

>An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
>of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
>photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
>
>https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspired-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794
>
>I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
>the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
>line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
>was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
>also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
>alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
>had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
>But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.

Your brain likely got a glimpse into time distortions, the multiverse or the
matrix. The simplest explanations like that are usually right. :)

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<tel89v$1gcgh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154813&group=rec.arts.tv#154813

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 10:53:50 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 14:53 UTC

On 2022-08-30 10:28 AM, EGK wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 07:16:48 -0400, Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
> wrote:
>
>> An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
>> of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
>> photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
>>
>> https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspired-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794
>>
>> I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
>> the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
>> line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
>> was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
>> also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
>> alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
>> had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
>> But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.
>
> Your brain likely got a glimpse into time distortions, the multiverse or the
> matrix. The simplest explanations like that are usually right. :)

You're probably right! Silly me, I thought it was some guy who looked
like me but Occam's Razor demands a more "reasonable" explanation, like
The Matrix.... ;-)

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<1537105453.683562307.372044.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154814&group=rec.arts.tv#154814

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 08:07:06 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 15:07 UTC

> An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
> of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
> photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
>
> https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspired-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794
>
> I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
> the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
> line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
> was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
> also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
> alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
> had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
> But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.

I apparently had one in college. I spent a semester having cute girls run
up to me smiling and would get within about 4 feet and stop suddenly and
apologize saying they thought I was somebody else and runoff the other way.
Never did find the guy or get to drain him for his secrets.

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<300820221157021824%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154823&group=rec.arts.tv#154823

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 11:57:02 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 15:57 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
> > An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
> > of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
> > photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
> >

> > https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspi
> > red-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794
> >
> > I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
> > the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
> > line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
> > was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
> > also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
> > alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
> > had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
> > But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.
> >

> I apparently had one in college. I spent a semester having cute girls run
> up to me smiling and would get within about 4 feet and stop suddenly and
> apologize saying they thought I was somebody else and runoff the other way.
> Never did find the guy or get to drain him for his secrets.

I was 20 at the end of 1973, and was at Orly Airport near Paris. There
were people who saw me from not all that far away, and they headed
toward me looking happy and delighted. Then they got within about
eight feet, suddenly looked disappointed, and turned away. During all
this I passed a small store in the airport mall, and I saw some CDs on
display. I thought, hey, the guy on that cover looks like me, so maybe
that's it. I don't remember his name and, by now, probably no one
does.

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<1320181896.683572723.302822.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154841&group=rec.arts.tv#154841

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 10:22:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:22 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1537105453.683562307.372044.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>>> An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
>>> of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
>>> photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
>>>

>>> https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspi
>>> red-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794
>>>
>>> I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
>>> the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
>>> line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
>>> was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
>>> also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
>>> alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
>>> had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
>>> But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.
>>>

>> I apparently had one in college. I spent a semester having cute girls run
>> up to me smiling and would get within about 4 feet and stop suddenly and
>> apologize saying they thought I was somebody else and runoff the other way.
>> Never did find the guy or get to drain him for his secrets.
>

> I was 20 at the end of 1973, and was at Orly Airport near Paris. There
> were people who saw me from not all that far away, and they headed
> toward me looking happy and delighted. Then they got within about
> eight feet, suddenly looked disappointed, and turned away. During all
> this I passed a small store in the airport mall, and I saw some CDs on
> display. I thought, hey, the guy on that cover looks like me, so maybe
> that's it. I don't remember his name and, by now, probably no one
> does.

Man, I read that as “I passed a small stone in the airport mall” and
thought maybe they were coming over to offer you painkillers!

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<uJrPK.13$JZK5.11@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154844&group=rec.arts.tv#154844

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:24:42 -0400
 by: moviePig - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:24 UTC

On 8/30/2022 7:16 AM, Rhino wrote:
> An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
> of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
> photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
>
> https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspired-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794
>

> I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
> the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
> line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
> was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
> also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
> alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
> had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
> But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.

If you see him again, don't fall asleep in his presence.

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<300820221330007174%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154845&group=rec.arts.tv#154845

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:30:00 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:30 UTC

In article
<1320181896.683572723.302822.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <1537105453.683562307.372044.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> >> I apparently had one in college. I spent a semester having cute girls run
> >> up to me smiling and would get within about 4 feet and stop suddenly and
> >> apologize saying they thought I was somebody else and runoff the other way.
> >> Never did find the guy or get to drain him for his secrets.
> >

> > I was 20 at the end of 1973, and was at Orly Airport near Paris. There
> > were people who saw me from not all that far away, and they headed
> > toward me looking happy and delighted. Then they got within about
> > eight feet, suddenly looked disappointed, and turned away. During all
> > this I passed a small store in the airport mall, and I saw some CDs on
> > display. I thought, hey, the guy on that cover looks like me, so maybe
> > that's it. I don't remember his name and, by now, probably no one
> > does.
> >

> Man, I read that as ³I passed a small stone in the airport mall² and
> thought maybe they were coming over to offer you painkillers!

That too! Vive la France!

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<inlsgh97qu9qtqb1a2kcpmrue7l4pa5nol@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154852&group=rec.arts.tv#154852

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 11:31:02 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 18:31 UTC

On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:24:42 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>On 8/30/2022 7:16 AM, Rhino wrote:
>> I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
>> the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
>> line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
>> was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
>> also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
>> alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
>> had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
>> But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.
>
>If you see him again, don't fall asleep in his presence.

Had a very strange experience Monday when I went to the fish + chips
shop and as I was going to pay my bill saw a lady who looked very much
like an old friend (who had died about 1 1/2 years ago) particularly
in her obesity, hair style and type of dress.

Not that I would have taken a picture of her had I had my camera...

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<e6d31458-bd9e-4fe0-82a3-4f6e42859990n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154856&group=rec.arts.tv#154856

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 11:54:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 18:54 UTC

> A Friend
>
> I was 20 at the end of 1973, and I saw some CDs on display.

Alternate history? What say you, Horny Goat?

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<hhtPK.6422$IRd5.5616@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154860&group=rec.arts.tv#154860

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 15:11:09 -0400
 by: moviePig - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 19:11 UTC

On 8/30/2022 2:31 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:24:42 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/30/2022 7:16 AM, Rhino wrote:
>>> I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
>>> the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
>>> line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
>>> was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
>>> also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
>>> alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
>>> had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
>>> But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.
>>
>> If you see him again, don't fall asleep in his presence.
>
> Had a very strange experience Monday when I went to the fish + chips
> shop and as I was going to pay my bill saw a lady who looked very much
> like an old friend (who had died about 1 1/2 years ago) particularly
> in her obesity, hair style and type of dress.
>
> Not that I would have taken a picture of her had I had my camera...

Might've needed special film...

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<300820221514326095%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154861&group=rec.arts.tv#154861

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 15:14:32 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 19:14 UTC

In article <e6d31458-bd9e-4fe0-82a3-4f6e42859990n@googlegroups.com>, Ed
Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

> > A Friend
> >
> > I was 20 at the end of 1973, and I saw some CDs on display.
>
> Alternate history? What say you, Horny Goat?

I must be wrong, of course, since CDs didn't come along for another ten
years. It must have been albums, or maybe they were 45s with covers.
It's been quite a while.

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<762fdf41-f0be-49c1-a08e-2792df9125ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154863&group=rec.arts.tv#154863

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 12:42:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 19:42 UTC

> >A Friend
> > Ed Stasiak
> >
> > Alternate history? What say you, Horny Goat?
>
> I must be wrong, of course, since CDs didn't come along for another ten
> years. It must have been albums, or maybe they were 45s with covers.
> It's been quite a while.

Nah, I ain't buying that. I'm sticking with you being a visitor from an
alternate timeline.

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<telseb$1iebj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154866&group=rec.arts.tv#154866

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 16:37:31 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 20:37 UTC

On 2022-08-30 11:57 AM, A Friend wrote:
> In article
> <1537105453.683562307.372044.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>>> An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
>>> of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
>>> photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
>>>

>>> https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspi
>>> red-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794
>>>
>>> I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
>>> the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
>>> line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
>>> was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
>>> also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
>>> alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
>>> had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
>>> But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.
>>>

>> I apparently had one in college. I spent a semester having cute girls run
>> up to me smiling and would get within about 4 feet and stop suddenly and
>> apologize saying they thought I was somebody else and runoff the other way.
>> Never did find the guy or get to drain him for his secrets.
>

> I was 20 at the end of 1973, and was at Orly Airport near Paris. There
> were people who saw me from not all that far away, and they headed
> toward me looking happy and delighted. Then they got within about
> eight feet, suddenly looked disappointed, and turned away. During all
> this I passed a small store in the airport mall, and I saw some CDs on
> display. I thought, hey, the guy on that cover looks like me, so maybe
> that's it. I don't remember his name and, by now, probably no one
> does.

Was if Johnny Hallyday? ;-) Although he's unknown here, the French
apparently thought he was a big deal for many years. By the way, despite
the name, he was actually French.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Hallyday

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<300820221646193613%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154869&group=rec.arts.tv#154869

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 16:46:19 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 20:46 UTC

In article <telseb$1iebj$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> On 2022-08-30 11:57 AM, A Friend wrote:
> > In article
> > <1537105453.683562307.372044.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> >> I apparently had one in college. I spent a semester having cute girls run
> >> up to me smiling and would get within about 4 feet and stop suddenly and
> >> apologize saying they thought I was somebody else and runoff the other way.
> >> Never did find the guy or get to drain him for his secrets.
> >

> > I was 20 at the end of 1973, and was at Orly Airport near Paris. There
> > were people who saw me from not all that far away, and they headed
> > toward me looking happy and delighted. Then they got within about
> > eight feet, suddenly looked disappointed, and turned away. During all
> > this I passed a small store in the airport mall, and I saw some CDs on
> > display. I thought, hey, the guy on that cover looks like me, so maybe
> > that's it. I don't remember his name and, by now, probably no one
> > does.
>
> Was if Johnny Hallyday? ;-) Although he's unknown here, the French
> apparently thought he was a big deal for many years. By the way, despite
> the name, he was actually French.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Hallyday

I remember him. No, all I can tell you is that it was someone I'd
never heard of, and I never ran across him again. I couldn't find a
trace of him at Sam Goody when I got home, but that didn't surprise me
much.

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<telu75$1ijo1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154874&group=rec.arts.tv#154874

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:07:46 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 21:07 UTC

On 2022-08-30 4:46 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <telseb$1iebj$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-08-30 11:57 AM, A Friend wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <1537105453.683562307.372044.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,

>>> I was 20 at the end of 1973, and was at Orly Airport near Paris. There
>>> were people who saw me from not all that far away, and they headed
>>> toward me looking happy and delighted. Then they got within about
>>> eight feet, suddenly looked disappointed, and turned away. During all
>>> this I passed a small store in the airport mall, and I saw some CDs on
>>> display. I thought, hey, the guy on that cover looks like me, so maybe
>>> that's it. I don't remember his name and, by now, probably no one
>>> does.
>>
>> Was if Johnny Hallyday? ;-) Although he's unknown here, the French
>> apparently thought he was a big deal for many years. By the way, despite
>> the name, he was actually French.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Hallyday
>

> I remember him. No, all I can tell you is that it was someone I'd
> never heard of, and I never ran across him again. I couldn't find a
> trace of him at Sam Goody when I got home, but that didn't surprise me
> much.

Any foreign country is going to have any number of "big names" that are
famous there and unknown here. Johnny Hallyday just came to mind because
I *had* heard of him but only by accident. By the same token, I am
reasonably certain you've never heard of Stompin' Tom Connors, who is
known to almost every Canadian except perhaps the latest generation, but
most be unknown to virtually everyone outside this country.

Here's a sample, just in case you're curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDItmh42Rio [3 minutes]

It's definitely NOT my kind of music but I ended up seeing him once,
entirely against my will, when he opened for Rush at a gig. I will never
understand what the promoter was smoking to come up with THAT pairing:
it was a mismatch made in hell. He did NOT get a good reception from a
young rock crowd!

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<300820221721331137%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154877&group=rec.arts.tv#154877

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:21:33 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 21:21 UTC

In article <telu75$1ijo1$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> On 2022-08-30 4:46 PM, A Friend wrote:
> > In article <telseb$1iebj$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> > <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> >> Was if Johnny Hallyday? ;-) Although he's unknown here, the French
> >> apparently thought he was a big deal for many years. By the way, despite
> >> the name, he was actually French.
> >>
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Hallyday
> >

> > I remember him. No, all I can tell you is that it was someone I'd
> > never heard of, and I never ran across him again. I couldn't find a
> > trace of him at Sam Goody when I got home, but that didn't surprise me
> > much.
>
> Any foreign country is going to have any number of "big names" that are
> famous there and unknown here. Johnny Hallyday just came to mind because
> I *had* heard of him but only by accident. By the same token, I am
> reasonably certain you've never heard of Stompin' Tom Connors, who is
> known to almost every Canadian except perhaps the latest generation, but
> most be unknown to virtually everyone outside this country.
>
> Here's a sample, just in case you're curious:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDItmh42Rio [3 minutes]
>
> It's definitely NOT my kind of music but I ended up seeing him once,
> entirely against my will, when he opened for Rush at a gig. I will never
> understand what the promoter was smoking to come up with THAT pairing:
> it was a mismatch made in hell. He did NOT get a good reception from a
> young rock crowd!

Thanks for the sample. I was not familiar with Stompin' Tom, but I
sure am familiar with The Hockey Song.

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<tem3bi$1j43j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154883&group=rec.arts.tv#154883

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 18:35:28 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 22:35 UTC

On 2022-08-30 5:21 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <telu75$1ijo1$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-08-30 4:46 PM, A Friend wrote:

>>> I remember him. No, all I can tell you is that it was someone I'd
>>> never heard of, and I never ran across him again. I couldn't find a
>>> trace of him at Sam Goody when I got home, but that didn't surprise me
>>> much.
>>
>> Any foreign country is going to have any number of "big names" that are
>> famous there and unknown here. Johnny Hallyday just came to mind because
>> I *had* heard of him but only by accident. By the same token, I am
>> reasonably certain you've never heard of Stompin' Tom Connors, who is
>> known to almost every Canadian except perhaps the latest generation, but
>> most be unknown to virtually everyone outside this country.
>>
>> Here's a sample, just in case you're curious:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDItmh42Rio [3 minutes]
>>
>> It's definitely NOT my kind of music but I ended up seeing him once,
>> entirely against my will, when he opened for Rush at a gig. I will never
>> understand what the promoter was smoking to come up with THAT pairing:
>> it was a mismatch made in hell. He did NOT get a good reception from a
>> young rock crowd!
>

> Thanks for the sample. I was not familiar with Stompin' Tom, but I
> sure am familiar with The Hockey Song.

How could you know the song without knowing Stompin' Tom? Did someone
else do a cover of it? You're from New York so I'm sure you know of
hockey. If you know that song, you must have actually watched games or
something. I think that was pretty much the only place they played it
other than at Stompin' Tom concerts.

By the way, that board he stands on during the video clip that I linked
was an integral part of his show. I think he called it the "stompin'
board" and he made a point of stomping it at critical parts of his
songs. I'm pretty sure it was just an ordinary piece of plywood but I
remember it from the show I saw and it's in that live video as well.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<tem3kr$1j43j$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154886&group=rec.arts.tv#154886

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 18:40:26 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 22:40 UTC

On 2022-08-30 11:07 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>> An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
>> of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
>> photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
>>
>> https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspired-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794
>>
>> I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
>> the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
>> line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
>> was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
>> also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
>> alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
>> had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
>> But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.
>>

> I apparently had one in college. I spent a semester having cute girls run
> up to me smiling and would get within about 4 feet and stop suddenly and
> apologize saying they thought I was somebody else and runoff the other way.
> Never did find the guy or get to drain him for his secrets.

Damn! Who knows what kind of good stuff you could have gotten from him....

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<300820222133155223%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154900&group=rec.arts.tv#154900

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 21:33:15 -0400
 by: A Friend - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 01:33 UTC

In article <tem3bi$1j43j$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> On 2022-08-30 5:21 PM, A Friend wrote:

> > Thanks for the sample. I was not familiar with Stompin' Tom, but I
> > sure am familiar with The Hockey Song.
>
> How could you know the song without knowing Stompin' Tom? Did someone
> else do a cover of it? You're from New York so I'm sure you know of
> hockey. If you know that song, you must have actually watched games or
> something. I think that was pretty much the only place they played it
> other than at Stompin' Tom concerts.

There are lots of songs I'm familiar with, but I have little or no idea
who sang them. I'm not even sure Stompin' Tom was the singer on the
version I'm talking about, i.e., the one they always played at Ranger
games.

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<1639280368.683594088.299401.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154906&group=rec.arts.tv#154906

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 21:40:17 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 04:40 UTC

> On 2022-08-30 11:07 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>>> An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
>>> of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
>>> photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
>>>
>>> https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-inspired-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794
>>>
>>> I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
>>> the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
>>> line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
>>> was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
>>> also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
>>> alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
>>> had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
>>> But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.
>>>

>> I apparently had one in college. I spent a semester having cute girls run
>> up to me smiling and would get within about 4 feet and stop suddenly and
>> apologize saying they thought I was somebody else and runoff the other way.
>> Never did find the guy or get to drain him for his secrets.
>>
> Damn! Who knows what kind of good stuff you could have gotten from him....

It’s always possible he was just handing out hundred dollar bills or drugs
or something.

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<HROdnYPMdrRvvpL-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154921&group=rec.arts.tv#154921

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 05:03:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 09:03 UTC

no_offline_contact@example.com wrote:

>An interesting story about a Canadian photographer who found many sets
>of doppelgangers - people who look alike but are unrelated - whose
>photos inspired some serious research by geneticists:
>
>https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/how-a-canadian-photographer-s-project-
inspired-a-scientific-study-of-doppelgangers-1.6046794

>I have a doppelganger that I saw in Toronto a couple of times back in
>the 70s, both times at concerts. I never approached him since I was in a
>line and didn't want to lose my place, but was intrigued to see that he
>was wearing the exact same concert T-shirt as me (or at least one that I
>also had; I may not have been wearing it that day). Unfortunately, I was
>alone in both cases and without a camera so I have no proof. Also, if I
>had gotten closer, the resemblance might have been considerably less.
>But from the distance I was, he looked a LOT like me.

I have one in town who people mistook me for.

--
Let's go Bradon!

Re: [OT] Doppelgangers

<tenc8f$1pk78$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154924&group=rec.arts.tv#154924

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 06:13:33 -0400
 by: Rhino - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 10:13 UTC

On 2022-08-31 12:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> I apparently had one in college. I spent a semester having cute girls run
>>> up to me smiling and would get within about 4 feet and stop suddenly and
>>> apologize saying they thought I was somebody else and runoff the other way.
>>> Never did find the guy or get to drain him for his secrets.
>>>
>> Damn! Who knows what kind of good stuff you could have gotten from him....
>>

> It’s always possible he was just handing out hundred dollar bills or drugs
> or something.

A sad possibility but one that seems favoured by the rich among us....

--
Rhino

arts / rec.arts.tv / [OT] Doppelgangers