Newsgroups: alt.folklore.urban
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 04:50:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: LeBron and Zlatan Feud in Urban Legends
From: jac...@kwasbeb.se (Jack Werner)
 by: Jack Werner - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 12:50 UTC

A question about a suspected sports urban legend:

When Swedish soccer player Zlatan Ibrahimovic and US basket player LeBron James both joined new teams in L.A in 2018, the two aging superstars egos seemed too big for one city. A feud followed where they dissed eachother in interviews.

And then, this story started circulating on social media and in sports news:

"It was reported that LeBron James, as a way to welcome the striker to LA, sent him his own, signed Lakers jersey. Instead of keeping this memento from perhaps the greatest player in the history of the NBA, Zlatan sent the jersey back to him with his own sign on it."

This, however, has no source and has, as far as I've seen, not been confirmed neither commented by any of Ibrahimovic or LeBron. The earliest tellings of this story that I've found are from April 2021.

My question:

Have you heard this story before, but about other sports stars? Or are you familiar with any potential sources of inspiration? Movies or books where similar things happen, that could have inspired the story?