Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:55:52 -0700
Subject: Re: Sweet Cakes by Melissa - again
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
 by: kmiller - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 01:55 UTC

On 7/13/2022 12:29 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:

> "Oregon Labor Commissioner Val Hoyle announced Tuesday that she had
> slashed the penalty for Sweet Cakes by Melissa from $135,000 to $30,000
>
> "The long-running case began nine years ago, when Laurel and Rachel
> Bowman-Cryer filed a complaint against Sweet Cakes by Melissa owners
> Aaron and Melissa Klein, alleging the bakery refused to bake them a
> wedding cake upon learning the cake would be for a same-sex couple."
>
> https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2022/07/oregon-labor-commissioner-slashes-fine-for-bakery-that-refused-to-sell-same-sex-wedding-cake.html
>

> TB

Still a hefty fine for a small business.

Re: Sweet Cakes by Melissa - again

<5d2dnZvn2OyzXk3_nZ2dnUU7-KmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15520&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#15520

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 18:30:24 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
 by: kmiller - Fri, 15 Jul 2022 01:30 UTC

On 7/14/2022 7:53 AM, Technobarbarian wrote:
> On 7/13/2022 6:55 PM, kmiller wrote:
>> On 7/13/2022 12:29 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
>>>
>>> "Oregon Labor Commissioner Val Hoyle announced Tuesday that she had
>>> slashed the penalty for Sweet Cakes by Melissa from $135,000 to
>>>
>>> "The long-running case began nine years ago, when Laurel and Rachel
>>> Bowman-Cryer filed a complaint against Sweet Cakes by Melissa owners
>>> Aaron and Melissa Klein, alleging the bakery refused to bake them a
>>> wedding cake upon learning the cake would be for a same-sex couple."
>>>
>>> https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2022/07/oregon-labor-commissioner-slashes-fine-for-bakery-that-refused-to-sell-same-sex-wedding-cake.html
>>>

>>> TB
>>
>> Still a hefty fine for a small business.
>
>      Yep, the negative publicity alone would have probably been enough
> to kill the business. Mr. Melissa did not help himself by immediately
> going on talk radio to complain about the way he was being horribly
> mistreated, and disclose the names and address of the couple who made
> the complaint--insuring maximum harassment for them. If they ever pay a
> fine it will come from donations, with a hefty sum left over. Their
> lawyers are working for free and vow to fight on.
>
> TB

The orange goon oughta hire their lawyers! HawHawHaw!