Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: fphow...@yahoo.com (Frank Howell)
Subject: Hey you Starlink pukes!
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 21:13:06 -0700
 by: Frank Howell - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 04:13 UTC

I just got back from my Waldport house spending the day to allow
Astound Broadband to install their new fiber internet service.

Very very impressive, especially compared to Starlinks offer. I've never
been impressed with Starlink's $500 equipment charge and it's $100 a
month cost. Long live PT Barnum! AKA E Musk.

Today I am paying $33 a month for 500 MBS fiber internet service. It is
almost instantaneous! For an extra $15 I could have had 1 Gigabyte MBS!
It's amazing that a town the size of Waldport(2300) could attract this
company, I am guessing that putting the Fiber on the utility poles and
running drops to the houses and using the latest technology it keeps the
cost down.

There is a 12 month contract and I'm sure there will be an increase in
price after expiration.

I wonder if Starlink will ever get to even 200 MBS. If they do I bet it
will come with a surcharge! Big snark!

--
Frank Howell

Re: Hey you Starlink pukes!

<0RMAK.489936$ntj.100831@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15561&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#15561

Subject: Re: Hey you Starlink pukes!
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 01:10:18 -0400
 by: bfh - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 05:10 UTC

Frank Howell wrote:
> I just got back from my Waldport house spending the day to allow
> Astound Broadband to install their new fiber internet service.
>
> Very very impressive, especially compared to Starlinks offer. I've
> never been impressed with Starlink's $500 equipment charge and it's
> $100 a month cost.  Long live PT Barnum! AKA E Musk.

Are you serious? Musk never claimed he could - or wanted to - compete
with fiber, but he can certainly compete where there is no fiber. If
and when my local EMC drops fiber into my house, I'll drop my dishy
and use it as a whiteboard to keep track of my lawn mowing and Walmart
schedule. Might even use it to keep track of fig-eating critter
neutralizations and fireant terminations.

> Today I am paying $33 a month for 500 MBS fiber internet service. It
> is almost instantaneous! For an extra $15 I could have had 1 Gigabyte
> MBS!

You cheapass - but lucky - bastard. You should have gone with the
extra 15 - better to have something and not need it than to ..........
Besides, $15 is throwaway money in TB's roaring economy.

> It's amazing that a town the size of Waldport(2300) could attract this
> company,  I am guessing that putting the Fiber on the utility poles
> and running drops to the houses and using the latest technology it
> keeps the cost down.
>
> There is a 12 month contract and I'm sure there will be an increase in
> price after expiration.
>
> I wonder if Starlink will ever get to even 200 MBS. If they do I bet
> it will come with a surcharge! Big snark!

Hey. I've hit 200+ 21 times. Probably could have had a lot more if
I'd done back-to-back Ooklas at carefully selected times.

--
bill