We have art that we do not die of the truth. -- Nietzsche

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)

SubjectAuthor
* final goal for Pele (fwd)danny burstein
+* Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)radioacti...@gmail.com
|`* Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)Louis Epstein
| `* Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)David Carson
|  `* Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)Louis Epstein
|   `- Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)David Carson
`- Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)Big Mongo

1
final goal for Pele (fwd)

<Pine.NEB.4.64.2212291855170.10529@panix3.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15549&group=alt.obituaries#15549

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: final goal for Pele (fwd)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 18:55:39 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 18:55 UTC

Futbol legend Pele just died.

(I'm on a miserable connection, so can't post more)

dannyb@panix.com

Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)

<eaac5a40-a79b-4922-810e-6a54e41244een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15551&group=alt.obituaries#15551

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 13:34:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 21:34 UTC

Well, his professional name may have no known meaning in Portuguese, but it surely has a preferred pronunciation, no?

And I've noted in the media in the wake of the late soccer/so-called-football star's sad (and surely excruciatingly painful) end have pretty much all configured his stage-name with an accent on the second E. That suggests to me, as an only-English speaker and writer, that the way those in Brazil pronounce it is "pay-LAY", rather than "PAY-lay", as the soccer-chattering jockcasters in America do. (Or at least as do the ones I've heard.)

Any of you e-folk have the definitive word on this question? (And premature thanks!)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida

Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)

<tol3uk$29$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15553&group=alt.obituaries#15553

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 22:22:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 22:22 UTC

radioacti...@gmail.com <radioactiveseattle@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, his professional name may have no known meaning in Portuguese, but it surely has a preferred pronunciation, no?
>
> And I've noted in the media in the wake of the late soccer/so-called-football star's sad (and surely excruciatingly painful) end have pretty much all configured his stage-name with an accent on the second E. That suggests to me, as an only-English speaker and writer, that the way those in Brazil pronounce it is "pay-LAY", rather than "PAY-lay", as the soccer-chattering jockcasters in America do. (Or at least as do the ones I've heard.)
>
> Any of you e-folk have the definitive word on this question? (And premature thanks!)
>
> BRYAN STYBLE/Florida

UNdefinitively,I always associated the name with
"pelota",the Basque name for the sport otherwise
known as jai-alai,which features the very high
speed use of a ball.

-=-=-

Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)

<b22e2ee9-8238-489e-b51a-87a4dc146993n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15556&group=alt.obituaries#15556

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 15:33:33 -0800 (PST)
From: bigmongo...@gmail.com (Big Mongo)
 by: Big Mongo - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 23:33 UTC

On Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 1:55:44 PM UTC-5, danny burstein wrote:
> Futbol legend Pele just died.
>
> (I'm on a miserable connection, so can't post more)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/29/sports/soccer/pele-dead.html

Pelé, the Global Face of Soccer, Dies at 82
Pelé, who was declared a national treasure in his native Brazil, achieved worldwide celebrity and helped popularize the sport in the United States.

By Lawrie Mifflin
Dec. 29, 2022
Updated 3:34 p.m. ET
Leer en español
Pelé, one of soccer’s greatest players and a transformative figure in 20th-century sports who achieved a level of global celebrity few athletes have known, died on Thursday in São Paulo. He was 82.

His death was confirmed by his manager, Joe Fraga. The Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein in São Paulo said the cause was multiple organ failure, the result of the progression of colon cancer.

Pelé had been receiving treatment for cancer in recent years, and he entered the hospital several weeks ago for treatment of a variety of health issues, including a respiratory infection.

A national hero in his native Brazil, Pelé was beloved around the world — by the very poor, among whom he was raised; the very rich, in whose circles he traveled; and just about everyone who ever saw him play.

“Pelé is one of the few who contradicted my theory,” Andy Warhol once said. “Instead of 15 minutes of fame, he will have 15 centuries.”

Celebrated for his peerless talent and originality on the field, Pelé (pronounced peh-LAY) also endeared himself to fans with his sunny personality and his belief in the power of soccer — football to most of the world — to connect people across dividing lines of race, class and nationality.

He won three World Cup tournaments with Brazil and 10 league titles with Santos, his club team, as well as the 1977 North American Soccer League championship with the New York Cosmos. Having come out of retirement at 34, he spent three seasons with the Cosmos on a crusade to popularize soccer in the United States.

Before his final game, in October 1977 at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., Pelé took the microphone on a podium at the center of the field, his father and Muhammad Ali beside him, and exhorted a crowd of more than 75,000.

“Say with me three times now,” he declared, “for the kids: Love! Love! Love!”

In his 21-year career, Pelé — born Edson Arantes do Nascimento — scored 1,283 goals in 1,367 professional matches, including 77 goals for the Brazilian national team.

Many of those goals became legendary, but Pelé’s influence on the sport went well beyond scoring. He helped create and promote what he later called “o jogo bonito” — the beautiful game — a style that valued clever ball control, inventive pinpoint passing and a voracious appetite for attacking. Pelé not only played it better than anyone; he also championed it around the world.

Among his athletic assets was a remarkable center of gravity; as he ran, swerved, sprinted or backpedaled, his midriff seemed never to move, while his hips and his upper body swiveled around it.

He could accelerate, decelerate or pivot in a flash. Off-balance or not, he could lash the ball accurately with either foot. Relatively small, at 5 feet 8 inches, he could nevertheless leap exceptionally high, often seeming to hang in the air to put power behind a header.

Like other sports, soccer has evolved. Today, many of its stars can execute acrobatic shots or rapid-fire passing sequences. But in his day, Pelé’s playmaking and scoring skills were stunning.

Early Success
Pelé sprang into the international limelight at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden, a slight 17-year-old who as a boy had played soccer barefoot on the streets of his impoverished village using rolled-up rags for a ball. A star for Brazil, he scored six goals in the tournament, including three in a semifinal against France and two in the final, a 5-2 victory over Sweden. It was Brazil’s first of a record five World Cup trophies.

Pelé also played on the Brazilian teams that won in 1962 and 1970. In the 1966 tournament, in England, he was brutally kicked in the early games and was finally sidelined by a Portuguese player’s tackle that would have earned an expulsion nowadays but drew nothing then.

With Pelé essentially absent, Brazil was eliminated in the opening round. He was so disheartened that he announced he would retire from national team play.

But he reconsidered and played on Brazil’s World Cup team in Mexico in 1970. That team is widely hailed as the best ever; its captain, Carlos Alberto, later joined Pelé on the Cosmos.

“I wish he had gone on playing forever,” Clive Toye, a former president and general manager of the Cosmos, wrote in a 2006 memoir. “But then, so does everyone else who saw him play, and those football people who never saw him play are the unluckiest people in the world.”

Edson Arantes do Nascimento was born on Oct. 23, 1940, in Três Corações, a tiny rural town in the state of Minas Gerais. His parents named him Edson in tribute to Thomas Edison. (Electricity had come to the town shortly before Pelé was born.) When he was about 7, he began shining shoes at the local railway station to supplement the family’s income.

His father, a professional player whose career was cut short by injury, was nicknamed Dondinho.

Brazilian soccer players often use a single name professionally, but even Pelé himself was unsure how he got his. He offered several possible derivations in “Pelé: The Autobiography” (2006, with Orlando Duarte and Alex Bellos).

Most probably, he wrote, the nickname was a reference to a player on his father’s team whom he had admired and wanted to emulate as a boy. The player was known as Bilé (bee-LAY). Other boys teased Edson, calling him Bilé until it stuck.

One of Pelé’s earliest memories was of seeing his father, while listening to the radio, cry when Brazil lost to Uruguay, 2-1, in the deciding match of the 1950 World Cup in Rio de Janeiro. The game is still remembered as a national calamity. Pelé recalled telling his father that he would one day grow up to win the World Cup for Brazil.

He signed his first contract, with a junior team, when he was 14 and transferred to Santos at 15. He scored four goals in his first professional game, which Santos won, 7-1. He was only 16 when he made his debut for the national team in July 1957.

A New Way to Play
When Brazil’s team went to the World Cup in Sweden the next summer, Pelé later said, he was so skinny that “quite a few people thought I was the mascot.”

Once they saw him play, it was a different story. Reports of this precocious Brazilian teenager’s prowess raced around the world. One account told of how, against Wales in the quarterfinals, with his back to the goal, he received the ball on his chest, let it drop to an ankle and instantly scooped it around behind him. As it bounced, he turned — so quickly that the ball was barely a foot off the ground — and struck it into the net. It was his first World Cup goal and the game’s only one, and it put Brazil into the semifinals.

“It boosted my confidence completely,” he wrote in his autobiography. “The world now knew about Pelé.”

The world now knew about Brazilian soccer, too. Pelé undoubtedly benefited from playing alongside other remarkably gifted ball-control artists — Garrincha, Didi and Vavá among them — as well as from Europe’s lack of familiarity with the Brazilian style.

Most European teams used static alignments; players seldom strayed from their designated areas.

Brazil, though, encouraged two of the four midfielders to behave like wingers when attacking. This forced opponents to cope quickly with four forwards, rather than two. Making things more difficult, the forwards often switched sides, right and left, and the outside fullbacks sometimes joined the attack. The effect dazzled onlookers, not to mention opponents.

After the semifinal against France, in which Pelé scored a hat trick in a 5-2 Brazil win, the French goalkeeper reportedly said, “I would rather play against 10 Germans than one Brazilian.”

The team went home to national acclaim, and Pelé resumed playing for Santos as well as for two Army teams as part of his mandatory military service. In 1959 alone, he endured a relentless schedule of 103 competitive matches; nine times, he played two games within 24 hours.

Santos began to capitalize on his fame with lucrative postseason tours. In 1960, en route to Egypt, the team’s plane stopped in Beirut, where a crowd gathered threatening to kidnap Pelé unless Santos agreed to play a Lebanese team.

“Fortunately, the police dealt with it firmly, and we flew on to Egypt,” Pelé wrote in his autobiography.

He had become such a hero that, in 1961, to ward off European teams eager to buy his contract rights, the Brazilian government passed a resolution declaring him a nonexportable national treasure.

Soccer Diplomacy
When Pelé was about to retire from Santos in the early 1970s, Henry A. Kissinger, the United States secretary of state at the time, wrote to the Brazilian government asking it to release Pelé to play in the United States as a way to help promote soccer, and Brazil, in America.

By then, two more World Cups, numerous international club competitions and tireless touring by Santos had made Pelé a global celebrity. So it was beyond quixotic when Toye, the Cosmos’ general manager, decided to try to persuade the player universally acclaimed as the world’s best, and highest paid, to join his team.

The Cosmos had been born only a month earlier, in one afternoon, when all the players had gathered in a hotel at Kennedy International Airport to sign an agreement to play for $75 a game in a country where soccer was a minor sport at best.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)

<v28uqhtcqoffje8l6jujs7j9utto7e76mg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15564&group=alt.obituaries#15564

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 11:38:19 -0600
 by: David Carson - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 17:38 UTC

On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 22:22:12 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
<le@top.put.com> wrote:

>UNdefinitively,I always associated the name with
>"pelota",the Basque name for the sport otherwise
>known as jai-alai,which features the very high
>speed use of a ball.

Pelota is the generic Spanish word for any ball used in any sport, or
the sport itself, just like we say "playing ball" or "ball game."

Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)

<toodbi$am$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15569&group=alt.obituaries#15569

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 04:21:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 31 Dec 2022 04:21 UTC

David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 22:22:12 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
> <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>
>>UNdefinitively,I always associated the name with
>>"pelota",the Basque name for the sport otherwise
>>known as jai-alai,which features the very high
>>speed use of a ball.
>
> Pelota is the generic Spanish word for any ball used in any sport, or
> the sport itself, just like we say "playing ball" or "ball game."

The international governing body for jai-alai refers to it
as "Basque pelote".

Edson Arantes do Nascimento was very good with a ball.

-=-=-

Re: final goal for Pele (fwd)

<topq9r$1rm2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15575&group=alt.obituaries#15575

From: dav...@neosoft.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 11:08:02 -0600
 by: David Carson - Sat, 31 Dec 2022 17:08 UTC

On Sat, 31 Dec 2022 04:21:06 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com>
wrote:

>David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 22:22:12 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
>> <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>>
>>>UNdefinitively,I always associated the name with
>>>"pelota",the Basque name for the sport otherwise
>>>known as jai-alai,which features the very high
>>>speed use of a ball.
>>
>> Pelota is the generic Spanish word for any ball used in any sport, or
>> the sport itself, just like we say "playing ball" or "ball game."
>>

>The international governing body for jai-alai refers to it
>as "Basque pelote".

Naturally. "Basque ball."

Baseball = beisbol = pelota base.

Golf ball = pelota de golf.