From: klaus.sc...@gmail.com (KlausSchadenfreude)
Newsgroups: alt.food.fast-food
Subject: McDonald's cheese crackdown!
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 06:15:26 -0800
 by: KlausSchadenfreude - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:15 UTC

Indian state to inspect outlets of global fast-food chains after
McDonald's cheese crackdown

MUMBAI, Feb 27 (Reuters) - India's western state of Maharashtra will
inspect outlets of global fast-food brands to check if they use cheese
alternatives in products wrongly promoted as containing real cheese,
widening scrutiny beyond a crackdown on McDonald's, a top official
said.
The checks threaten to cause a headache for global brands after recent
inflationary pressure hit consumption of burgers and pizzas that are
pricey for many Indian consumers, prompting firms to launch of
discounted offerings.

Interestingly, UK McDonald's says the following:

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/help/faq/what-is-the-cheese-on-your-burgers-made-from.html
What is the cheese on your burgers made from?
May 21, 2018
The cheese slice used in our menu items like our Big Mac®,
Cheeseburger and Quarter Pounder™ with Cheese contains approximately
60% real cheese (51% Cheddar and 9% Other Cheeses).

So what is the other 40%?

In the US, McDonald's says their cheese is the following:

Pasteurized Process American Cheese
Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Water, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Cheese
Cultures, Citric Acid, Enzymes, Soy Lecithin, Color Added.
Contains: Milk, Soy.

In terms of your standard deli-sliced American, that's a "pasteurized
process cheese." That means it's derived from melting at least one
"real" cheese (cheddar or Colby are common building blocks). Usually,
that means at least one additive in order to augment the taste,
texture, or presentation. Those can include water, salter, spices,
coloring, or cream. Emulsifying agents (like the aforementioned sodium
phosphate, sodium, or potassium citrate), which aid in making sure
everything's mixed together properly. There's a lot of room for
variation within "pasteurized process cheese," but the stipulation is
that moisture content must be below 43 percent, and fat content of at
least 47 percent.