From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)
Newsgroups: alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,soc.culture.russia
Subject: "No peeing towards Russia"
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 20:52:07 -0600
 by: Byker - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 02:52 UTC

'No peeing towards Russia' sign appears on country's Arctic border with
Norway

Don't poke the bear! Or urinate on it

By Richard Currie

If you're ever holidaying in the frigid wastes of Finnmark – where the
borders of Norway, Finland, and Russia meet – don't do the whole "now I'm in
Norway, now I'm in Russia" skit because in Norway they don't tolerate that
kind of crap.

According to English-language news website The Barents Observer, whose
existence we only learned of today, a sign has been posted outside the
village of Grense Jakobselv warning: "No peeing towards Russia."

The Norwegian-Russian border follows the Jakobselva river and the sign is
located on its Norwegian bank, where tourists often stop for pictures.

Though the notice is far from official in provenance, The Barents Observer's
report suggests that it's actually quite sound advice.

We're told by Norway's Border Commissioner, Jens Høilund, that the area is
closely monitored by the military and police, who "will try to prevent
incidents that could lead to violation of the agreement with Russia,
including insulting behavior."

Yes, apparently being a bit cheeky to the Beast in the East from the
Norwegian side of the fence is punishable by law. Legislation from 1950
under the National Borders Act specifically rules out "offensive behavior
at the border, directed at the neighboring state or its authorities."

Such violations "shall be punished by fines or imprisonment for up to 3
months if the matter is not affected by stricter penalties," the document
reads.

And Norwegian authorities do enforce it, even in a sparsely populated region
where the annual average temperature is -2.4°C (27.7°F) by virtue of falling
within the Arctic Circle.