You had some happiness once, but your parents moved away, and you had to leave it behind.

interests / soc.history.medieval / Re: Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see today

SubjectAuthor
* Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see todaya425couple
+* Re: Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see todaySolomonW
|`- Re: Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see todaya425couple
`- Re: Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see todayThe Indian Pianist

1
Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see today

<V3WcJ.2123$O23.1993@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1613&group=soc.history.medieval#1613

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see today
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 08:42:46 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:42 UTC

A slide show, interesting enough, but more
art and sales spiel, than history.

see the 31 slides at:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/the-world-s-most-beautiful-medieval-cities-revealed/ss-BB1cCXWm

Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see today
Joanna Czechowska 9/16/2021
1 Comment

Slide 1 of 31:

The Middle Ages – from around AD 500 to 1500 – produced some
of the finest and most beautiful architecture in the world
and if you know where to look a surprising amount is still
standing. From fabulous fortifications in France to the
higgledy-piggledy streets of Vietnam’s capital we take a tour
of charming medieval metropolises around the globe.

Next Slide
Full screen
1/31 SLIDES © Gaspar Janos/Shutterstock
Marvelous medieval metropolises

2/31 SLIDES © vichie81/Shutterstock
York, England
Although it dates back to Roman times, York flourished during
the Middle Ages. The city built its wealth on trading in wool
and textiles, and society's most affluent people invested in
property such as the cottages of Our Lady’s Row in Goodramgate,
dated to 1316. Star sights here include The Shambles, a street
seemingly straight out of Harry Potter, which takes its name
from the butchers' benches, placed outside shops to display wares.
York Minster, constructed between 1230 and 1472, is one of the
finest examples of Gothic cathedrals in the world too.

------
9/31
Nuremberg, Germany
Situated in the south German state of Bavaria, Nuremberg was
first mentioned in 1050 as a settlement surrounding the castle.
As the Middle Ages progressed, the city became a center of
commerce, trade, manufacturing and the arts. The artist
Albrecht Durer was born here and his half-timbered house,
built in 1507, survives. Other attractions include the beautiful
14th-century Schöner Brunnen fountain and the Hauptmarkt, which
remains a center of trade today.

------
16/31 SLIDES © Boris Stroujko/Shutterstock
Istanbul, Turkey
Originally called Constantinople, Istanbul has an ancient history
but flourished during the medieval period. The city is situated
between Europe and Asia, and Christianity and Islam vied for
dominance here. The Hagia Sophia, constructed from 537, was a
Christian cathedral until 1453, then a mosque for 500 years
(it functions as a mosque again today). The Topkapi palace,
built from 1466 for the Sultan, is also impressive, but it’s
the medieval street markets of the ordinary people that really
bring the city to life.

-----
26/31 SLIDES © Sabino Parente/Shutterstock
Siena, Italy
Set in the beautiful Tuscan countryside, Siena is a jewel of a city.
Although it has Roman origins, the city was rebuilt in the medieval
period with the huge Piazza del Campo at its heart. Between 1278 and
1355, The Council of Nine ran Siena and built the Piazza to symbolize
the cloak of the Madonna, protecting Siena. The Council also instituted
the famous twice-yearly horse race. The particular red of Siena's bricks
also gave rise to the color known as Burnt Sienna.

-----
and my favorite:
28/31 SLIDES © Oleksiy Mark/Shutterstock
Bergen, Norway
Meaning the ‘green meadow among the mountains’, Bergen,
originally founded in 1070, grew into a major trading town
with easy access to the rest of Europe. In the 13th century,
it became the capital of Norway and the Bergenhus Fortress
was constructed in 1240. Although the capital moved to the south,
Bergen continued to prosper, and the quayside is still lined
with the wooden merchant houses from that time.

Re: Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see today

<c3g5loi0mx2b$.1ulkntwk8myrx.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1614&group=soc.history.medieval#1614

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 12:39:28 +1100
 by: SolomonW - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 01:39 UTC

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 08:42:46 -0700, a425couple wrote:

> [...]
> 1355, The Council of Nine ran Siena and built the Piazza to symbolize
> the cloak of the Madonna, protecting Siena. The Council also instituted
> the famous twice-yearly horse race. The particular red of Siena's bricks
> also gave rise to the color known as Burnt Sienna.
>
> -----
> and my favorite:
> 28/31 SLIDES © Oleksiy Mark/Shutterstock
> Bergen, Norway
> Meaning the ‘green meadow among the mountains’, Bergen,
> originally founded in 1070, grew into a major trading town
> with easy access to the rest of Europe. In the 13th century,
> it became the capital of Norway and the Bergenhus Fortress
> was constructed in 1240. Although the capital moved to the south,
> Bergen continued to prosper, and the quayside is still lined
> with the wooden merchant houses from that time.

They are pretty clean for a medieval town

Re: Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see today

<Go0eJ.2067$hL6.549@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1618&group=soc.history.medieval#1618

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 16:43:36 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 23:43 UTC

On 10/23/2021 6:39 PM, SolomonW wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 08:42:46 -0700, a425couple wrote:
>
>> A slide show, interesting enough, but more
>> art and sales spiel, than history.
>>
>> see the 31 slides at:
>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/the-world-s-most-beautiful-medieval-cities-revealed/ss-BB1cCXWm
>>
>> Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see today

> They are pretty clean for a medieval town

Yes, indeed. Like I said, the scenes had to
have been well selected, and cleaned up to
be the best art, and tourist attractions.

Re: Well-preserved medieval cities you can still see today

<cc55759a-e490-49f6-b209-e3d3e86355e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1641&group=soc.history.medieval#1641

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 00:46:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: nikhildh...@gmail.com (The Indian Pianist)
 by: The Indian Pianist - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 07:46 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 2:42:47 AM UTC+11, a425couple wrote:
> and my favorite:
> 28/31 SLIDES © Oleksiy Mark/Shutterstock
> Bergen, Norway

Hallstatt and Rothenburg ob der Tauber look very nice as well