Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 03:39:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Bannockburn - Establishing the Battlefield Revisited. Again.
From: david.re...@gmail.com (David Read)
 by: David Read - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 10:39 UTC

On Wednesday, February 28, 2001 at 10:53:29 PM UTC, D. Spencer Hines wrote:
> "David R Ross, an author and historian, whose book, _On The Trail Of
> Robert The Bruce_, was published last year, last night backed Dr
> Watson's findings.
> "I always knew that other writers who had covered that area just hadn't
> done their research right," he said. "Although there is no contemporary
> evidence that actually tells you where the battle was, there are loads
> and loads of clues and I just don't understand why so many people have
> missed them." "
> ---------------------------
> Please keep that passage in mind.
> [To Be Continued]
> --
> D. Spencer Hines
> Lux et Veritas et Libertas
> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing." -- Attributed to Edmund Burke [1729-1797]
> "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of
> in your philosophy." ---- William Shakespeare [1564-1616] The Tragedy of
> Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, Act I, Scene V, Line 166
> All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.
> All original material contained herein is copyright and property of the
> author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
> attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
> given, in writing.
> Vires et Honor
> "David Read" <da...@dreadful.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> | In article <9stS9PAm...@dreadful.demon.co.uk>, David Read
> | <da...@dreadful.demon.co.uk> writes
> | > If anyone ever wondered what had become of Dr Janet Watson's
> | >attempt to locate the historical site of the battle of Bannockburn,
> an
> | >article from _The Times_ from January 24th 2001 reveals this:-
> | >
> | >http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-72823,00.html
> | >
> | > It's official. Until it isn't. Still, I'm sure we will all sleep
> easier
> | >in our beds knowing that _The Times_ reports Dr Watson as having used
> | >the familiar "original sources".
> | >

> | And another newspaper article on the same topic:-
> |
> | http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/archive/24-1-19101-0-19-43.html
> |
> | cheers,
> | --
> | David Read
> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Another update, albeit twenty years later. I don't suppose there is anyone still around from those days besides Spencer and myself who would be interested.

Extracts below from an archaeological survey from 2011-2014, which of course might well have been updated itself in the last seven years.

https://www.guard-archaeology.co.uk/news/news15/BannockburnNews.html

"The findings included 133 metal artefacts, mostly iron and of eighteenth century, but recovered from amongst the 139 test pits excavated was an assemblage of medieval artefacts including white gritty ware and Scottish red ware, both types potentially contemporary to the battle, as well as considerable amounts of later medieval pottery. The evidence here, dispelled the myth that the Carse was an uninhabited bog during the middle ages, indicating instead that parts of the Carse were inhabited during the medieval period. The nature of these interspersed habitable areas across an unfamiliar and otherwise boggy landscape may have been a major factor in the outcome of the battle, given that the accounts that when the Scottish army surprised the English army early on the second day of the battle, the English forces were driven across the Carse towards the Forth, where flanked by the Pelstream to the north and the Bannock Burn to the south, they had nowhere to run."

"Another metal detector survey at Carse Fields covered another 10 ha area and recovered a medieval stirrup. This was now the second artefact that could be potentially attributed to medieval cavalry.

Broadley's Farm is spread over many fields along the courses of the Pelstream and Bannock Burn. The land therefore provided opportunities to investigate wide areas on the Carse as well as the inner meanders and river banks where it was hoped that artefacts from the battle might await discovery. The metal detecting survey of 30 ha of land and excavation of 50 test pits included the participation of the Defence Archaeology Group, British soldiers, who benefit from participation in volunteer events like this as part of a rehabilitation process. The test pits turned up more medieval pottery, further evidence that the Carse was habitable during the medieval period.

'In true dramatic archaeological style the battlefield kept us all waiting to the bitter end for the most treasured of artefacts', said Warren Bailie. With the help of GUARD Archaeology colleagues, Maureen Kilpatrick and Christine Rennie, and fifty local volunteers, a last ditch attempt to recover more evidence of the battle got under way on 15 February 2014. While lots of non-descript iron objects were discovered - a few horse shoes, recent coins, nineteenth century horse harness pendants - one of the volunteers found something a little more special, a copper alloy cross harness pendant which even then appeared significant. Analysed soon after by Dr Natasha Ferguson of the Treasure Trove Unit, traces of silver gilt and blue enamel were identified. XRF analysis later found traces of gold too. This cross pendant dated to the early fourteenth century and once adorned the horse harness of an English nobleman's horse. It's location here, on the Carse, understood in the context of the other findings of the project, provides the clearest archaeological evidence found so far for the location of the Battle of Bannockburn.

The medieval material culture discovered during the Bannockburn investigations demonstrates that the Carse was settled in the medieval period when for so long many dismissed the area as an inhospitable and boggy environment during that period. The new key equestrian artefacts - the spur, stirrup and cross pendant - substantiate that the second day of the Battle of Bannockburn took place on this area of the Carse."

Cheers,

David Read

Re: Bannockburn - Establishing the Battlefield Revisited. Again.

<7i73ogpbkj7u9pqoe26mp2pke51vkl1m92@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1638&group=soc.history.medieval#1638

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 07:28:59 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 20:28 UTC

>"Another metal detector survey at Carse Fields covered another 10 ha area and recovered a medieval stirrup. This was now the second artefact that could be potentially attributed to medieval cavalry.

Unlikely to find much because of the locals & professional scroungers
raking over the battlefield. This might have gone on a long time.
https://shannonselin.com/2016/07/napoleonic-battlefield-cleanup/

Re: Bannockburn - Establishing the Battlefield Revisited. Again.

<6dadac99-33a5-44ba-96ee-c76eab4bfa4dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1658&group=soc.history.medieval#1658

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 10:04:00 -0800 (PST)
From: dsh1...@gmail.com (D. Spencer Hines)
 by: D. Spencer Hines - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 18:04 UTC

On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at 10:29:05 AM UTC-10, Peter Jason wrote:

> >"Another metal detector survey at Carse Fields covered another 10 ha area and recovered a medieval stirrup. This was now the second artefact that could be potentially attributed to medieval cavalry.
> Unlikely to find much because of the locals & professional scroungers
> raking over the battlefield. This might have gone on a long time.
> https://shannonselin.com/2016/07/napoleonic-battlefield-cleanup/

Good Show!...

....To See this Thread Picked Up Again After 20 Years.

Kudos To David Read And Peter Jason!

D. Spencer Hines
Fortem Posce Animum

Re: Bannockburn - Establishing the Battlefield Revisited. Again.

<f5227edf-3225-4c39-948c-36fcd0727251n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1659&group=soc.history.medieval#1659

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 10:16:30 -0800 (PST)
From: dsh1...@gmail.com (D. Spencer Hines)
 by: D. Spencer Hines - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 18:16 UTC

On Thursday, November 18, 2021 at 8:04:01 AM UTC-10, D. Spencer Hines wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at 10:29:05 AM UTC-10, Peter Jason wrote:
> > >
> > >"Another metal detector survey at Carse Fields covered another 10 ha area and recovered a medieval stirrup. This was now the second artefact that could be potentially attributed to medieval cavalry.
> > Unlikely to find much because of the locals & professional scroungers
> > raking over the battlefield. This might have gone on a long time.
> > https://shannonselin.com/2016/07/napoleonic-battlefield-cleanup/
> Good Show!...
>
> ...To See this Thread Picked Up Again After 20 Years.
>
> Kudos To David Read And Peter Jason!
>
> D. Spencer Hines
> Fortem Posce Animum

The Heart Of SHM Is Still Beating...