Love makes the world go 'round, with a little help from intrinsic angular momentum.

interests / alt.obituaries / Gordon Gould, 92, voice-over actor (Talking Books, 600+ titles; voiee of NYC's Ritz Thrift Shop)

SubjectAuthor
* Gordon Gould, 92, voice-over actor (Talking Books, 600+ titles;That Derek
`- Re: Gordon Gould, 92, voice-over actor (Talking Books, 600+ titles; voiee of NYLouis Epstein

1
Gordon Gould, 92, voice-over actor (Talking Books, 600+ titles; voiee of NYC's Ritz Thrift Shop)

<5bfa9343-eb2b-4599-8e51-3cda959658b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16618&group=alt.obituaries#16618

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 18:25:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Gordon Gould, 92, voice-over actor (Talking Books, 600+ titles;
voiee of NYC's Ritz Thrift Shop)
From: thatde...@yahoo.com (That Derek)
 by: That Derek - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 02:25 UTC

GORDON GOULD (May 4th, 1930 -- February 26th, 2023

It is with deep regret that I must inform you all about the passing of Talking Books narrator and voice-over actor GORDON GOULD, aged 93 of New York, NY, this past Sunday, February 26th, 2023.

The cause, according to his daughter Nell, involved complications from a fall five days prior, compounded with recent bouts of congestive heart failure. A paid-notice obituary will be imminently posted within the next few days in both The New York Times and The Chicago Tribune, a newspaper for which Gordon worked as a journalist in the early 1960s before settling on an acting career.

Gordon’s NYC stage portfolio included his Broadway debut in a 1996 revival of George Kaufman and Moss Hart’s venerable “You Can’t Take It with You,” up to an early 1990s iteration of Arthur Miller’s “Death of a Salesman“ headlined by Dustin Hoffman.

Mr. Gould was a mainstay within the realm of voice-over acting for many products. New Yorkers might remember his voice in the TV ads for the Ritz Thrift Shop for roughly 12-15 years in the 1970s anü1980s for which Gordon intoned “Some sell us their furs, others buy them,” and “You don’t need a million to look like a million.”

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tsLBnsY60

Gordon other interests included 1970s retro-old time radio as a stock company player for producer Himan Brown’s “The CBS Radio Mystery Theater” (1974-1982), appearing in 61 episodes of said programme and becoming, in 1982, the last American actor to portray Sherlock Holmes on a nationally syndicated radio show – a distinction he held for at least twenty years.

Gordon Gould was also noted for recording an astonishing 600+ books over several decades for American Foundation for the Blind’s (AFB) Talking Book Studios under the auspices of the National Librasry Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) division of the Library of Congress..

Not much to say at this juncture except about the times Gordon would cringe at my puns whenever I engineered his sessions. For example: while recording a biography of German statesman Willy Brandt, I hazarded “You know, Gordon, whenever you cross the Berlin Wall, you have to Adenauer.”

Gordon Gould is survived his daughter Nell and was predeceased by his wife Mary, an a son.

Written by Derek Tague

Re: Gordon Gould, 92, voice-over actor (Talking Books, 600+ titles; voiee of NYC's Ritz Thrift Shop)

<ttrcnn$6ei$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16624&group=alt.obituaries#16624

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Gordon Gould, 92, voice-over actor (Talking Books, 600+ titles; voiee of NYC's Ritz Thrift Shop)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 23:50:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 23:50 UTC

That Derek <thatderek@yahoo.com> wrote:
> GORDON GOULD (May 4th, 1930 -- February 26th, 2023
>
> It is with deep regret that I must inform you all about the passing of
> Talking Books narrator and voice-over actor GORDON GOULD, aged 93 of New
> York, NY, this past Sunday, February 26th, 2023.
>
> The cause, according to his daughter Nell, involved complications from a
> fall five days prior, compounded with recent bouts of congestive heart
> failure. A paid-notice obituary will be imminently posted within the next few
> days in both The New York Times and The Chicago Tribune, a newspaper for
> which Gordon worked as a journalist in the early 1960s before settling on an
> acting career.
>
> Gordon?s NYC stage portfolio included his Broadway debut in a 1996 revival
> of George Kaufman and Moss Hart?s venerable ?You Can?t Take It with You,? up
> to an early 1990s iteration of Arthur Miller?s ?Death of a Salesman?
> headlined by Dustin Hoffman.
>
> Mr. Gould was a mainstay within the realm of voice-over acting for many
> products. New Yorkers might remember his voice in the TV ads for the Ritz
> Thrift Shop for roughly 12-15 years in the 1970s an?1980s for which Gordon
> intoned ?Some sell us their furs, others buy them,? and ?You don?t need a
> million to look like a million.?

Oh,thank you.
I never knew the voiceover artists's identity,and
retrospectives about the commercial only identified the model.

Mr. Gould's NAME was only known to me from a Playbill my parents
brought home after seeing Amadeus,in which he and Edward Zang
played minor roles and were understudies,billed as a pair.

> www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tsLBnsY60
>
> Gordon other interests included 1970s retro-old time radio as a stock company player for producer Himan Brown?s ?The CBS Radio Mystery Theater? (1974-1982), appearing in 61 episodes of said programme and becoming, in 1982, the last American actor to portray Sherlock Holmes on a nationally syndicated radio show ? a distinction he held for at least twenty years.
>
> Gordon Gould was also noted for recording an astonishing 600+ books over several decades for American Foundation for the Blind?s (AFB) Talking Book Studios under the auspices of the National Librasry Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) division of the Library of Congress..
>
> Not much to say at this juncture except about the times Gordon would cringe at my puns whenever I engineered his sessions. For example: while recording a biography of German statesman Willy Brandt, I hazarded ?You know, Gordon, whenever you cross the Berlin Wall, you have to Adenauer.?
>
> Gordon Gould is survived his daughter Nell and was predeceased by his wife Mary, an a son.
>
> Written by Derek Tague

-=-=-