Will your long-winded speeches never end? What ails you that you keep on arguing? -- Job 16:3

interests / rec.birds / Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morning

SubjectAuthor
* Saw my first hummer of the season this morningsuper70s
+* Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morningWilson
|`* Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morningsuper70s
| `- Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morningWilson
`* Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morningjmcquown
 `* Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morningsuper70s
  `- Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morningjmcquown

1
Saw my first hummer of the season this morning

<super70s-37C751.09360905042023@reader01.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=164&group=rec.birds#164

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: Saw my first hummer of the season this morning
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 09:36:09 -0500
 by: super70s - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 14:36 UTC

Been a little chilly lately for the start of spring but they've
apparently migrated to the area now. Hopefully the nights still won't
get too cold for them.

Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morning

<6e47171e-d035-132c-77d0-3b42c53bc8f0@nearyou.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165&group=rec.birds#165

From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morning
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:48:40 -0400
 by: Wilson - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 16:48 UTC

On 4/5/2023 10:36 AM, super70s wrote:
> Been a little chilly lately for the start of spring but they've
> apparently migrated to the area now. Hopefully the nights still won't
> get too cold for them.
Where do you live? Saw my first Turkey Vulture in Jonesboro, ME yesterday.
Not expecting hummers until 05/08.

Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morning

<u0koq4$14c3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=166&group=rec.birds#166

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 17:22:01 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 21:22 UTC

On 4/5/2023 10:36 AM, super70s wrote:
> Been a little chilly lately for the start of spring but they've
> apparently migrated to the area now. Hopefully the nights still won't
> get too cold for them.

Fun! I forget where you're located (if I ever knew).

I'm in Southern South Carolina but it still gets down into the 30's
during the Winter. I had a female ruby throat who didn't migrate with
the rest of them so I kept the feeder up. The weekend of Christmas 2022
we had a very rare cold snap where the low overnight temps were in the
20's and high temps were barely above freezing. I worried about her but
she was just fine! Good luck with yours. :)

Jill

Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morning

<super70s-A4AC2D.17220905042023@reader01.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=167&group=rec.birds#167

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 17:22:09 -0500
 by: super70s - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 22:22 UTC

In article <u0koq4$14c3$1@dont-email.me>,
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 4/5/2023 10:36 AM, super70s wrote:
> > Been a little chilly lately for the start of spring but they've
> > apparently migrated to the area now. Hopefully the nights still won't
> > get too cold for them.
>

> Fun! I forget where you're located (if I ever knew).
>
> I'm in Southern South Carolina but it still gets down into the 30's
> during the Winter. I had a female ruby throat who didn't migrate with
> the rest of them so I kept the feeder up. The weekend of Christmas 2022
> we had a very rare cold snap where the low overnight temps were in the
> 20's and high temps were barely above freezing. I worried about her but
> she was just fine! Good luck with yours. :)
>
> Jill

I'm in Tennessee, so they're probably around in SC too.

I saw another one fly up when one was feeding so I may have to put a
second feeder up already so they don't fight. :)

Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morning

<super70s-C77988.17253205042023@reader01.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=168&group=rec.birds#168

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 17:25:32 -0500
 by: super70s - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 22:25 UTC

In article <6e47171e-d035-132c-77d0-3b42c53bc8f0@nearyou.com>,
Wilson <nowhere@nearyou.com> wrote:

> On 4/5/2023 10:36 AM, super70s wrote:
> > Been a little chilly lately for the start of spring but they've
> > apparently migrated to the area now. Hopefully the nights still won't
> > get too cold for them.
> Where do you live? Saw my first Turkey Vulture in Jonesboro, ME yesterday.
> Not expecting hummers until 05/08.

Apr. 3 is the date we're supposed to begin seeing them here in TN, so
they're just about right on time.

I saw several wild turkeys walking around in the woods behind my house,
I think it was last Thursday.

Actually I heard them before I saw them, they need no introduction, lol.

Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morning

<u0kurh$14c3$6@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169&group=rec.birds#169

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 19:05:10 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 23:05 UTC

On 4/5/2023 6:22 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <u0koq4$14c3$1@dont-email.me>,
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/5/2023 10:36 AM, super70s wrote:
>>> Been a little chilly lately for the start of spring but they've
>>> apparently migrated to the area now. Hopefully the nights still won't
>>> get too cold for them.
>>

>> Fun! I forget where you're located (if I ever knew).
>>
>> I'm in Southern South Carolina but it still gets down into the 30's
>> during the Winter. I had a female ruby throat who didn't migrate with
>> the rest of them so I kept the feeder up. The weekend of Christmas 2022
>> we had a very rare cold snap where the low overnight temps were in the
>> 20's and high temps were barely above freezing. I worried about her but
>> she was just fine! Good luck with yours. :)
>>
>> Jill
>
> I'm in Tennessee, so they're probably around in SC too.

Oh sure, I've seen a few of the hummingbirds that migrated starting to
to show up. I still can't get over the female that decided not to
migrate last year. That little gal had the feeder all to herself the
entire time. Perhaps there was a method to her madness. ;) I made sure
the feeder was always cleaned and filled for her.

> I saw another one fly up when one was feeding so I may have to put a
> second feeder up already so they don't fight. :)

It's funny how territorial they are. There's plenty of food but they
really don't like to share.

Jill

Re: Saw my first hummer of the season this morning

<7170366d-f301-f466-d21a-943f858c9254@nearyou.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=170&group=rec.birds#170

From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 11:40:09 -0400
 by: Wilson - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 15:40 UTC

On 4/5/2023 6:25 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <6e47171e-d035-132c-77d0-3b42c53bc8f0@nearyou.com>,
> Wilson <nowhere@nearyou.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/5/2023 10:36 AM, super70s wrote:
>>> Been a little chilly lately for the start of spring but they've
>>> apparently migrated to the area now. Hopefully the nights still won't
>>> get too cold for them.
>> Where do you live? Saw my first Turkey Vulture in Jonesboro, ME yesterday.
>> Not expecting hummers until 05/08.
>
> Apr. 3 is the date we're supposed to begin seeing them here in TN, so
> they're just about right on time.
>
> I saw several wild turkeys walking around in the woods behind my house,
> I think it was last Thursday.
>
> Actually I heard them before I saw them, they need no introduction, lol.
We have Wild Turkeys running all over the place here in Maine.

A friend told me that he saw his first Osprey here today.