If you can survive death, you can probably survive anything.

interests / rec.games.bridge / Re: Howell movement

SubjectAuthor
* Howell movementBill Lentz
`* Re: Howell movementWes Powers
 `* Re: Howell movementBill Lentz
  `* Re: Howell movementWes Powers
   `- Re: Howell movementPeter Smulders

1
Howell movement

<14e509cd-4cb8-4b70-b9c1-a43ac1c35610n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=164&group=rec.games.bridge#164

Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 15:35:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Howell movement
From: blentz1...@gmail.com (Bill Lentz)
 by: Bill Lentz - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 22:35 UTC

This relates to the use of acblScore in a U.S. club game. In a six table Howell, pairs at one table sit the wrong direction for all three boards. acblScore allows a fix by using the Edit Movement command to swap the pairs for that round only. Practice in our club is to assign average minus to both pairs because “changing movement is unfair to field” and one of the two pairs might have received an advantage against the other pair.. Is there a theoretical basis to using EDMOV vs assigning average minus?

Thanks
Bill

Re: Howell movement

<tfhtt9$1d2cj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165&group=rec.games.bridge#165

From: wp5...@yahoo-dot-com.invalid (Wes Powers)
Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Subject: Re: Howell movement
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 07:54:17 -0400
 by: Wes Powers - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 11:54 UTC

On 9/9/2022 6:35 PM, Bill Lentz wrote:
> This relates to the use of acblScore in a U.S. club game. In a six table Howell, pairs at one table sit the wrong direction for all three boards. acblScore allows a fix by using the Edit Movement command to swap the pairs for that round only. Practice in our club is to assign average minus to both pairs because “changing movement is unfair to field” and one of the two pairs might have received an advantage against the other pair. Is there a theoretical basis to using EDMOV vs assigning average minus?
>
> Thanks
> Bill

Yes. It's always better to use actual bridge results than artificial
adjustments.

Re: Howell movement

<ee95e1bd-52cc-4042-a9dd-952439feea7bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=166&group=rec.games.bridge#166

Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 07:22:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: blentz1...@gmail.com (Bill Lentz)
 by: Bill Lentz - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:22 UTC

On Saturday, September 10, 2022 at 6:54:20 AM UTC-5, Wes Powers wrote:
> On 9/9/2022 6:35 PM, Bill Lentz wrote:
> > This relates to the use of acblScore in a U.S. club game. In a six table Howell, pairs at one table sit the wrong direction for all three boards. acblScore allows a fix by using the Edit Movement command to swap the pairs for that round only. Practice in our club is to assign average minus to both pairs because “changing movement is unfair to field” and one of the two pairs might have received an advantage against the other pair. Is there a theoretical basis to using EDMOV vs assigning average minus?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Bill
> Yes. It's always better to use actual bridge results than artificial
> adjustments.

That is my understanding too. I guess what I should have asked is “Is there a theoretical basis to not modifying the movement?”

Re: Howell movement

<tfvo1v$3ctea$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=167&group=rec.games.bridge#167

From: wp5...@yahoo-dot-com.invalid (Wes Powers)
Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:40:15 -0400
 by: Wes Powers - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:40 UTC

On 9/14/2022 10:22 AM, Bill Lentz wrote:
> On Saturday, September 10, 2022 at 6:54:20 AM UTC-5, Wes Powers wrote:
>> On 9/9/2022 6:35 PM, Bill Lentz wrote:
>>> This relates to the use of acblScore in a U.S. club game. In a six table Howell, pairs at one table sit the wrong direction for all three boards. acblScore allows a fix by using the Edit Movement command to swap the pairs for that round only. Practice in our club is to assign average minus to both pairs because “changing movement is unfair to field” and one of the two pairs might have received an advantage against the other pair. Is there a theoretical basis to using EDMOV vs assigning average minus?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Bill
>> Yes. It's always better to use actual bridge results than artificial
>> adjustments.
>
> That is my understanding too. I guess what I should have asked is “Is there a theoretical basis to not modifying the movement?”

Not sure I understand the question, but I think the answer is No.

It's true that modifying the movement will wreak havoc with the balance,
so some pairs may be compared more or fewer times than they should.

But the edited movement represents what was actually played, so that's
what you should do.

I suppose you could switch up other tables in later rounds to try to
restore the balance, but it's subject to great potential for error, and
I don't think it's worth the effort.

Besides, a lot of Howell movements are unbalanced to start with....

Wes

Re: Howell movement

<tfvost$aqq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=168&group=rec.games.bridge#168

From: dev...@home.nl (Peter Smulders)
Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 19:54:37 +0200
 by: Peter Smulders - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:54 UTC

On 15-9-2022 19:40, Wes Powers wrote:
> On 9/14/2022 10:22 AM, Bill Lentz wrote:

>>> Yes. It's always better to use actual bridge results than artificial
>>> adjustments.
>>
>> That is my understanding too. I guess what I should have asked is “Is
>> there a theoretical basis to not modifying the movement?”
>
> Not sure I understand the question, but I think the answer is No.
>
> It's true that modifying the movement will wreak havoc with the balance,
> so some pairs may be compared more or fewer times than they should.
>
> But the edited movement represents what was actually played, so that's
> what you should do.
>
> I suppose you could switch up other tables in later rounds to try to
> restore the balance, but it's subject to great potential for error, and
> I don't think it's worth the effort.
>
> Besides, a lot of Howell movements are unbalanced to start with....

As I understand it editing the movement was done with the purpose of
improving the balance. Of course if you can improve the movement by
simple means there is no "theoretical basis" for not doing so. Not to
mention handing out average minus, which only makes things worse. If you
show us the complete movement (I don't have access to acblscore) I will
tell you the optimal balance that may be obtained by swapping pairs.