No amount of careful planning will ever replace dumb luck.

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulations

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun controlbfh
+* Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun controlbfh
|`* Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulationsfilm...@gmail.com
| +- Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun controlbfh
| `* Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulationsfilm...@gmail.com
|  `- Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun controlbfh
`- Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun controlGeorge.Anthony

1
Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulations

<efZ_K.97613$chF5.47891@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16731&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#16731

Subject: Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control
regulations
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 12:33:13 -0400
 by: bfh - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 16:33 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:

> Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulations:
> The Oregonian/OregonLive poll
>
> Published: Oct. 04, 2022, 6:00 a.m.
>
> By Beth Slovic | The Oregonian/OregonLive
> Oregonians appear poised to adopt some of the strictest gun
> regulations in the country, according to a new poll commissioned by
> The Oregonian/OregonLive.
>
> A slight majority of likely Oregon voters polled, 51%, said they would
> vote this November for Measure 114, which would require a background
> check, safety training and a permit to acquire a firearm. If approved,
> the measure also would require that police maintain a firearms
> database and would outlaw ammunition magazines that hold more than 10
> rounds.
> [snip]
>
> https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2022/10/oregon-voters-appear-poised-to-support-new-gun-control-regulations-the-oregonianoregonlive-poll.html
>

>     They break down the numbers by: party, gender, education,
> residence, etc. It's about what you would expect. There's more support
> for this in the Portland metropolitan area than there is in the rest
> of the state. There are also more people in the Portland metropolitan
> area than the rest of the state.
>
>      This is potentially good news for our Democratic candidate for
> governor. The polls show her running neck and neck with our, more or
> less traditional, Republican candidate. "Machine gun Betsy" is running
> a distant third. Seriously, she does own one and she used to be proud
> of the name and her perfect score with the NRA. She's essentially
> running as a pro-choice Republican. She's doing what her sponsors
> wanted her to do. She's drawing off enough support to give the
> Republican a chance. Personally, I don't trust anyone who claims they
> can solve all our problems and that they are the only one who can fix
> any of them. Both of the Republicans are making this claim. According
> to their ads they're running against our, unpopular with just about
> everyone, outgoing governor, which would be a good trick if they can
> manage it.
>
> TB

What do you personally think of 114?

--
bill

Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulations

<sf0%K.500915$6Il8.314115@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16733&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#16733

regulations
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 15:58:15 -0400
 by: bfh - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 19:58 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> [...]
> [snip]
>
> https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2022/09/person-killed-in-stabbing-in-portlands-old-town-suspect-arrested-nearby.html
>

> "Two people stabbed to death in Old Town on Friday
> Jim Redden October 01 2022
> UPDATE: Police are also investigating a Sept. 30 shooting in Southeast
>
> Police are investigating two fatal stabbing in Old Town in nine hours
> on Friday.
>
> A Friday shooting that left a man in critical condition in Southeast
> Portland is also under investigation.
>
> In the most recent stabbing, the Portland Police Bureau said officers
> responded to Northwest Broadway and Northwest Couch Street just after
> 8:30 p.m. on Sept. 30. There they found an injured victim who was
> declared dead by arriving paramedics.
>
> Police announced Saturday morning that Kalil C. Ford, 20, was arrested
> and charged with murder in the second degree and unlawful use of a
> weapon.
>
> According to the police, this was the 71st homicide case for Portland
> in 2022.
>
> Before that, 11:28 a.m. on Friday, Central Precinct officers responded
> to a report of a stabbing at West Burnside Street and Northwest Third
> Avenue. When officers arrived, they located an injured victim.
> Paramedics determined the person was dead.
> [snip]
>
> https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/559343-447709-two-people-stabbed-to-death-in-old-town-on-friday
>

>       We already have a "red flag" law. Like most gun control
> measures I wouldn't expect this one to do much to staunch the flow of
> blood. This one creates a lot of paperwork and treats gun buyers like
> criminals.
>
>       My brother and I took a required hunter safety course when we
> were kids. I don't think we were helped or harmed by it. My experience
> is that gun safety instructors, as a group, are the most dangerous gun
> owners around. Ours demonstrated pulling the bullet out of a 22 shell
> and firing it by heating the primer in the classroom. Safety
> instructors are followed closely by the clowns who do a lot of
> preaching about gun safety without actually practicing what they
> preach. When I lived in Eugene a bunch of sheriff's deputies went out
> on a hunting trip with one of their dispatchers. She didn't come back
> because she ended up getting shot in the head. Those are the people
> who will be issuing the permits.
>
> https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Measure_114,_Changes_to_Firearm_Ownership_and_Purchase_Requirements_Initiative_(2022)
>

> "require permits issued by local law enforcement to buy a firearm;
> require photo ID, fingerprints, safety training, criminal background
> check, and fee payment to apply for a permit; and
> prohibit manufacturing, importing, purchasing, selling, possessing,
> using, or transferring ammunition magazines capable of holding more
> than 10 rounds and make violations a class A misdemeanor."

Would it be safe for me assume that all those words mean, "We've still
got dumbasses running the show out here."?

--
bill

Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulations

<589df26e-c9d0-4bf5-b66b-2622c7ce3b06n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16736&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#16736

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:56:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulations
From: filmby...@gmail.com (film...@gmail.com)
 by: film...@gmail.com - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 01:56 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 1:27:50 PM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> "require permits issued by local law enforcement to buy a firearm;
> >> require photo ID, fingerprints, safety training, criminal background
> >> check, and fee payment to apply for a permit; and
> >> prohibit manufacturing, importing, purchasing, selling, possessing,
> >> using, or transferring ammunition magazines capable of holding more
> >> than 10 rounds and make violations a class A misdemeanor."
> >>
> >> I'll vote against it.
> >>
> >> TB
> >>
> > Would it be safe for me assume that all those words mean, "We've still
> > got dumbasses running the show out here."?
> >
> You name it. All we have is dumbasses running the show wherever
> you are. Your neck of the woods is a prime example. I think smart people
> avoid that bullshit because no matter how smart you are, you'll end up

Wise words, for someone who enjoys being an iconoclast... I was a drop out on my hunter safety class, and waited a few months until I was 16, when the class wasn't required for us big boys....

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulations

<bX5%K.68675$SMP5.48195@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16738&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#16738

regulations
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 22:26:14 -0400
 by: bfh - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 02:26 UTC

film...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 1:27:50 PM UTC-7, Technobarbarian
> wrote:

    They break down the numbers by: party, gender, education,

"Two people stabbed to death in Old Town on Friday

We already have a "red flag" law. Like most gun control

"require permits issued by local law enforcement to buy a firearm;

>>> Would it be safe for me assume that all those words mean,
>>> "We've still got dumbasses running the show out here."?
>>>
>> You name it. All we have is dumbasses running the show wherever
>> you are. Your neck of the woods is a prime example. I think smart
>> people avoid that bullshit because no matter how smart you are,
>> you'll end up looking like a dumbass.
>>
>> TB
>
> Wise words, for someone who enjoys being an iconoclast... I was a
> drop out on my hunter safety class, and waited a few months until
> I was 16, when the class wasn't required for us big boys....
>
> Last Sat. the San Luis PD had a gun buy back program.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulations

<thkgdv$i28$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16741&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#16741

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
regulations
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 17:55:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: George.Anthony - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 17:55 UTC

What a $&@! wind bag.

--

Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulations

<f25dffce-dd0c-43f6-a986-cab639002688n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16742&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#16742

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 11:03:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: filmby...@gmail.com (film...@gmail.com)
 by: film...@gmail.com - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 18:03 UTC

On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 7:52:31 AM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:
> On 10/4/2022 6:56 PM, film...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> You name it. All we have is dumbasses running the show wherever
> >> you are. Your neck of the woods is a prime example. I think smart people
> >> avoid that bullshit because no matter how smart you are, you'll end up
> >> looking like a dumbass.
> >>
> >> TB
> >
> > Wise words, for someone who enjoys being an iconoclast... I was a drop out on my hunter safety class, and waited a few months until I was 16, when the class wasn't required for us big boys....
> >
> > Last Sat. the San Luis PD had a gun buy back program. They were giving out $200, $100, and $50, grocery coupons ... By the time I got there at noon, the coupons were gone... They had collected 209 guns, including six assault rifles (?), several dozen pistols, etc... It was a dumbass form of Commiefornia "Gun Control", that should be no problem for pistol packin' bill..... BTW, I was there to "render my sword into plowshares", expecting the get a $100 coupon, for my Jennings .22, "Saturday Night Special", but they ran out of coupons, before I could diddle the City of SLO, with my gun trading shrewdness! HawHawHaw!
> >
> > Elmer Keith Jr.
> I end up wondering how many California communists used this boost
> to their budget as an opportunity to buy a better gun? Were you planning
> on spending your ill gotten gains on wine, women and song? Or were you
> just going to waste it? It sounds like you need to get your butt in gear
> earlier if you want to have any chance of beating your fellow citizens
> to this pot of gold. lol
>
> TB

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulations

<R2k%K.547104$Ny99.194680@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16743&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#16743

regulations