Big book, big bore. -- Callimachus

interests / soc.history.medieval / The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)

SubjectAuthor
* The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)a425couple
`* Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)SolomonW
 `* Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)a425couple
  +* Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)Peter Jason
  |`- Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)a425couple
  `* Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10) - +11 & 12a425couple
   +- Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10) - +11 & 12a425couple
   `* Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10) - +11 & 12SolomonW
    `- Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10) - +11 & 12i 4 !RFAN

1
The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)

<PIYoJ.34124$1d1.771@fx99.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1678&group=soc.history.medieval#1678

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval,alt.economics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:31:42 -0800
 by: a425couple - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 04:31 UTC

from
https://flipboard.com/@BettyLawMorgan/the-5-most-common-jobs-in-a-medieval-city---medievalists-net/a-LBlw7GMpSni6uT_9_ljc3A%3Aa%3A2457232568-57e0c7fd47%2Fmedievalists.net

or
https://www.medievalists.net/2021/11/most-common-jobs-medieval-city/

The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City

By Lucie Laumonier

What were the most common jobs in a late medieval city? In this piece,
we’ll look at the case of fifteenth-century Montpellier, a city located
in the South of France.

Established in the late tenth century, Montpellier had become, three
hundred years later, one of the main urban centres of Southern France.
Before the Black Death, more than 30,000 called the city home.
Montpellier was famous for its university that taught medicine and the
trade goods that came with access to the Mediterranean, a dozen
kilometres away. Detailed information on its population comes from a
series of tax records spanning c. 1380-1480 that yield the names of
nearly 10,000 householders, and the occupation of approximately 6,500 of
them. So, who were the most numerous urban workers?

To answer this question, I’ve looked at tax records dated 1435-1446 in
which a little under 2,200 households are listed. The profession of the
head-householder is known in two-thirds of the cases. A handful of women
who helmed their own household also declared a profession to the city’s
authorities. Dozens and dozens of occupations existed at once in the
city, a result of the great fragmentation of chains of production in the
Middle Ages. The five most common jobs were farming, carpentry,
butchery, shoemaking and Church-related work.

A view of Montpellier from 1572, part of Civitates Orbis Terrarum by
Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg

1 – Farming
Peasants made up 25% of the workers whose occupation was known in
1435-1446, and 16.5% of all the taxpayers. In Toulouse and Avignon, in
the fifteenth century, peasants made up 17% of the testators with a
known occupation. Unsurprisingly, peasants were more numerous in the
suburbs than in the walled city. Most of the fields were located outside
of the city’s walls, even if medieval urban centres did count a large
number of gardens, orchards and small vegetable beds. Urban peasants,
called “ploughmen” in the Montpellier fiscal sources tilled, sowed and
harvested the fields. Others raised cattle, pigs and chickens. Some
laboured in their orchards and vegetable beds.

Although numerous, the Montpellier agriculturalists could not produce
enough food to supply the entire city. Rather, grain, meat and other
foodstuff had to be imported from the city’s backcountry and overseas
commercial partners. Imports of grain were essential to sustain urban
populations. At times of food shortages, such as during the great famine
of the early fourteenth century, the death toll in urban centres was
staggering. In Montpellier, the chronicle asserts that people resorted
to eating grass to survive.

If you want to learn more about urban peasants, check out my article on
urban agriculture!

2 – Carpentry
Called “fustiers” in the local vernacular, the carpenters formed an
ill-defined professional group. “Carpenters” could build houses, make
furniture, or chop and sell firewood. The “fustiers” only made up 6% of
the taxpayers whose occupation was known in 1435-46 (81 individuals,
including a woman). But the art of “fusterie” was essential to medieval
communities. The workers built housing and furniture and provided heat
to all households. Carpenters were frequently hired by the city’s
government to undertake construction work on public buildings.

Carpenters in a 14th-century copy of Tacuina sanitatis
In Montpellier, the carpenters tended to live close to the city’s
ditches. The reason is that trees imported from the nearby woods were
stored and drenched in the ditches before their processing. Cutting down
the timber into workable pieces was undertaken by specialized workers,
called “ressaires” in the local vernacular, a term that could be
translated as “pitsawyers”. Few “ressaires” appear in fiscal documents,
suggesting that the carpenters could have done the job themselves, or
that pitsawyers identified themselves as carpenters.

3 – Butchery
Medieval people who were Christians refrained from eating meat during
Lent and fast days (in total nearly 150 days a year). But still, they
ate large quantities of meat the rest of the year. In the South of
France, from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean, people ate on average 26
kilograms of meat per year or a ration of 120 grams on the days they
were allowed to. In modern France, people eat on average 160 grams of
meat daily–not far from the medieval rates.

The Montpellier butchers made up 4% of the 1435-46 taxpayers whose
occupation was known. During that period of time, some sixty butchers
laboured at once in the city, for a population of fewer than 20,000
people–one butcher for 300 inhabitants, approximately. In Toulouse, in
the early fourteenth century, the ratio was one butcher for 225 people.

A medieval manuscript image of a man and a woman slaughtering a pig
Butchers usually specialized in one specific type of animal: pork,
mutton, or beef. Among the Montpellier butchers whose specialization is
known, 55% sold mutton meat; 35% sold beef; and 10% sold pork. The
animals’ offals were processed by workers known as “tripiers” who would
prepare and cook the offals to make, for instance, pies or sausage.
Poultry was sold by a different type of workers, called “poulterers.”
Few appeared in local documents, suggesting that most people kept
chickens in their backyards for eggs and white meat.

4 – Shoemaking
The Montpellier cobblers, who made and repaired shoes, were quite
numerous, making up 4% of the workers paying taxes in 1435-46. They were
organized in different guilds, based on the street in which they kept
their shops. In 1360, nine cobblers’ guilds were attested in documents,
all situated within the city’s walls. After the devastation caused by
the Black Death and the subsequent plague epidemics, the number of
cobblers’ guilds declined. In 1444, only five shoemakers’ guilds
appeared in the Montpellier sources. Cobblers worked with leather, which
was processed in the northern neighbourhoods of the city. Tannery was a
highly polluting industry.

Detail of Shoemakers from the Altarpiece of St. Mark by Arnau Bassa —
Image by Ramon Manent/ Wikimedia Commons
Shoemaking could be an even bigger employer in other medieval towns. In
the Catalonian town of Manresa, near Barcelona, cobblers were the most
numerous workers mentioned in fiscal records. They made up 15% of the
local workforce, coming first before the local farmers. It is not
surprising to know that Manresa was a centre for shoe production in
Catalonia.

5 – Church Work
The category “cleric” encompasses deacons, chaplains and priests, monks
and nuns, priors and prioresses, and even the local bishop, who
possessed some estates in the city. Clerics made up a little under 4% of
the taxpayers with a known profession. In England, the Poll Tax records
of 1377 showed that 2% of the households were clerical. But demographer
Josiah Russell and historian Michael Postan have postulated that the
clerical population was probably twice as large, matching our estimates
for Montpellier.

Choir, from Book of Hours, Paris 1450 – c. 14 British Library MS Harley
2971 f. 109v
In the Mediterranean city, the clerical population was probably even
larger than what fiscal sources suggest. But many clerics were exempted
from personal taxation and did not appear in fiscal documents. For
instance, Montpellier was the home of dozens and dozens of students who
had travelled across France and Europe to attend its famous university
to learn medicine or law. Students enrolled in medieval universities
were considered clerics. But fiscal documents seldom recorded liberal
arts, medicine and law students. If they had been inscribed in tax
records, no doubt that the estimate of the Montpellier clerical
population would have been higher.

Support Medievalists on Patreon
More medieval jobs
Here are the sixth to tenth most common jobs in late medieval
Montpellier, according to the 1435-46 tax records:

6 – Tailors
7 – Notaries
8 – Barbers
9 – Retailers
10 – Stonemasons

This article has looked at the most common jobs based on the sheer
number of occurrences of occupational titles. But, due to the great
fragmentation of chains of production in the Middle Ages, the
distribution of occupational titles does not reflect the size or
importance of a given industry. For instance, none of the top-five jobs
includes workers of the textile industry, although textile production
represented a major source of income for the people of Montpellier.
Weavers, shearers, dyers, drapers, even tailors, cotton makers,
embroiderers and needle makers were all part of the industry. In terms
of industry size, food production and retail, textile work, construction
work and international trades were the main employment sectors of the
late medieval city.

Lucie Laumonier is an Affiliate assistant professor at Concordia
University. Click here to view her Academia.edu page or follow her on
Instagram at The French Medievalist.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)

<1q5ytgrm9n34m.1sf2lxugcop2l$.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1679&group=soc.history.medieval#1679

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval,alt.economics
Subject: Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:45:49 +1100
 by: SolomonW - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 04:45 UTC

<2N9pJ.92995$Wkjc.82567@fx35.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1680&group=soc.history.medieval#1680

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval,alt.economics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:23:44 -0800
 by: a425couple - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 19:23 UTC

On 11/28/2021 8:45 PM, SolomonW wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:31:42 -0800, a425couple wrote:
> ----
>> or
>> https://www.medievalists.net/2021/11/most-common-jobs-medieval-city/
>>
>> The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City
>>
>> By Lucie Laumonier
>> ---
>> To answer this question, I’ve looked at tax records dated 1435-1446 in
>> which a little under 2,200 households are listed. ---
>>
>> A view of Montpellier from 1572, part of Civitates Orbis Terrarum by
>> Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg
>>
>> 1 – Farming ---
>>
>> 2 – Carpentry ---
(fuel and construction and furniture)

>> 3 – Butchery
>> France, from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean, people ate on average 26
>> kilograms of meat per year or a ration of 120 grams on the days they
>> were allowed to.

Interesting, or near what we now consider a healthy
4 oz serving.

----

> Interesting, it does not seem to match what I thought it would.

Agreed.
One town only, not total picture.
I would think, that the majority of farmers,
and 'ranchers' lived outside Montpellier.

And their is no mention of mining.
Coal was commonly used for heating in some cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_coal_mining

no mention of metal worker,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_metallurgy

no mention of merchant or trader.

or boatmen to use the River Lez
for transport or fishing.

> Most people in medieval cities were not taxpayers to the city. Here we have
> a city of 30,000 and an analysis of 6,500 people. So what we have here is
> the local elite.
>
> The next point is *women* jobs are not shown, e.g. dressmakers, women
> hairdressers, housekeepers, etc.
>
> Finally, I find barbers strange. Surely only the rich would use them
> unless they have other duties like surgeons.

I agree with your above.

Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)

<v8daqgh2bi3e4jmn6knl91n9part1b12ev@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1681&group=soc.history.medieval#1681

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval,alt.economics
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 07:17:47 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 20:17 UTC

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:23:44 -0800, a425couple
<a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 11/28/2021 8:45 PM, SolomonW wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:31:42 -0800, a425couple wrote:
>> ----
>>> or
>>> https://www.medievalists.net/2021/11/most-common-jobs-medieval-city/
>>>
>>> The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City
>>>
>>> By Lucie Laumonier
>>> ---
>>> To answer this question, I’ve looked at tax records dated 1435-1446 in
>>> which a little under 2,200 households are listed. ---
>>>
>>> A view of Montpellier from 1572, part of Civitates Orbis Terrarum by
>>> Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg
>>>
>>> 1 – Farming ---
>>>
>>> 2 – Carpentry ---
>(fuel and construction and furniture)
>>>
>>> 3 – Butchery
>>> France, from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean, people ate on average 26
>>> kilograms of meat per year or a ration of 120 grams on the days they
>>> were allowed to.
>
>Interesting, or near what we now consider a healthy
>4 oz serving.
>

>>> A medieval manuscript image of a man and a woman slaughtering a pig
>>> Butchers usually specialized in one specific type of animal: pork,
>>> mutton, or beef. Among the Montpellier butchers whose specialization is
>>> known, 55% sold mutton meat; 35% sold beef; and 10% sold pork. ---
>>> Poultry was sold by a different type of workers, called “poulterers.”
>>> Few appeared in local documents, suggesting that most people kept
>>> chickens in their backyards for eggs and white meat.
>>>
>>> 4 – Shoemaking ---
>>>
>>> 5 – Church Work
>>>
>>> 6 – Tailors
>>> 7 – Notaries
>>> 8 – Barbers
>>> 9 – Retailers
>>> 10 – Stonemasons
>>>
>----
>>
>> Interesting, it does not seem to match what I thought it would.
>>
>Agreed.
>One town only, not total picture.
>I would think, that the majority of farmers,
>and 'ranchers' lived outside Montpellier.
>
>And their is no mention of mining.
>Coal was commonly used for heating in some cities.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_coal_mining
>
>no mention of metal worker,
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_metallurgy
>
>no mention of merchant or trader.
>
>or boatmen to use the River Lez
>for transport or fishing.
>

>> Most people in medieval cities were not taxpayers to the city. Here we have
>> a city of 30,000 and an analysis of 6,500 people. So what we have here is
>> the local elite.
>>
>> The next point is *women* jobs are not shown, e.g. dressmakers, women
>> hairdressers, housekeepers, etc.
>>
>> Finally, I find barbers strange. Surely only the rich would use them
>> unless they have other duties like surgeons.
>>

>I agree with your above.

Also bong cleaning. Sewage pits had to be dug out occasionally and
the contents carted away.

Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10) - +11 & 12

<9Y6qJ.148218$831.92979@fx40.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1685&group=soc.history.medieval#1685

Subject: Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10) - +11 & 12
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval,alt.economics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 08:59:51 -0800
 by: a425couple - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 16:59 UTC

-------

>>> 4 – Shoemaking ---
>>> 5 – Church Work
>>>
>>> 6 – Tailors
>>> 7 – Notaries
>>> 8 – Barbers
>>> 9 – Retailers
>>> 10 – Stonemasons

Upon further thought & misc. reading, I'm really
surprised at the absence of 2 trades.

11 - Bakery - are they thinking everybody baked
their own bread at their homes?
12 - Brewers - Seems very unlikely everybody made their
own brew / beer, or that someone hauled enough
from outside into the town.
- From Gies (granted this was thirteenth century England,
but still valid) "Every village not only had it's brewers,
but had them all up and down the street.

> no mention of metal worker, -----
>
> no mention of merchant or trader. ----
>
> or boatmen to use the River Lez
> for transport or fishing.
>

>> The next point is *women* jobs are not shown, e.g. dressmakers, women
>> hairdressers, housekeepers, etc.
>>
>> Finally, I find barbers strange. Surely only the rich would use them
>> unless they have other duties like surgeons.
>
> I agree with your above.

Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10)

<u_6qJ.148219$831.139614@fx40.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1686&group=soc.history.medieval#1686

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval,alt.economics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 09:02:20 -0800
 by: a425couple - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 17:02 UTC

On 11/29/2021 12:17 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:23:44 -0800, a425couple
> <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/28/2021 8:45 PM, SolomonW wrote:
>>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:31:42 -0800, a425couple wrote:
>>> ----

>> (fuel and construction and furniture)

>> Interesting, or near what we now consider a healthy
>> 4 oz serving.

>> ----
>>>
>>> Interesting, it does not seem to match what I thought it would.
>>>
>> Agreed.
>> One town only, not total picture.
>> I would think, that the majority of farmers,
>> and 'ranchers' lived outside Montpellier.
>>
>> And their is no mention of mining.
>> Coal was commonly used for heating in some cities.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_coal_mining
>>
>> no mention of metal worker,
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_metallurgy
>>
>> no mention of merchant or trader.
>>
>> or boatmen to use the River Lez
>> for transport or fishing.
>>

>>> Most people in medieval cities were not taxpayers to the city. Here we have
>>> a city of 30,000 and an analysis of 6,500 people. So what we have here is
>>> the local elite.
>>>
>>> The next point is *women* jobs are not shown, e.g. dressmakers, women
>>> hairdressers, housekeepers, etc.
>>>
>>> Finally, I find barbers strange. Surely only the rich would use them
>>> unless they have other duties like surgeons.
>>>

>> I agree with your above.
>
> Also bong cleaning. Sewage pits had to be dug out occasionally and
> the contents carted away.

Certainly a needed job.
But perhaps regularly done by workers from outside
the city walls of Montpellier.
They have to cart the waste out, so likely they lived
outside the walls.

Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10) - +11 & 12

<xq8qJ.66011$aF1.61159@fx98.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1687&group=soc.history.medieval#1687

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval,alt.economics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:40:30 -0800
 by: a425couple - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:40 UTC

On 12/2/2021 8:59 AM, a425couple wrote:
> On 11/29/2021 11:23 AM, a425couple wrote:
>> On 11/28/2021 8:45 PM, SolomonW wrote:
>>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:31:42 -0800, a425couple wrote:
>>> ----

>>          (fuel and construction and furniture)
> -------

> Upon further thought & misc. reading, I'm really
> surprised at the absence of 2 trades.
>
> 11 - Bakery - are they thinking everybody baked
>   their own bread at their homes?
> 12 - Brewers - Seems very unlikely everybody made their
>    own brew / beer, or that someone hauled enough
>    from outside into the town.
>    - From Gies (granted this was thirteenth century England,
>    but still valid) "Every village not only had it's brewers,
>    but had them all up and down the street.

"Ale was as necessary to life in an English medieval village as bread"

Here is another way to read, about that:

Tales of the Middle Ages - Inns and Taverns - Gode Cookery
One village craft was so widely practiced that it hardly belonged to
craftsmen. Every village not only had its brewers, but had them all up
and down the street.

and clicking on that http, I get to read:

Gode Cookery Presents
Tales of the Middle Ages
True stories, fables and anecdotes from the Middle Ages

Inns and Taverns
Inns appeared in England in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, and
were apparently fairly common, especially in towns, by the fifteenth
century. The earliest buildings still standing today, such as New Inn,
Gloucester, or King's Head, Aylesbury, date from this time. While inns
provided lodgings for travelers, taverns were drinking houses seeking to
cater for the more prosperous levels of society. The leading taverners
in larger towns were themselves vintners or acted as agents for
vintners. The Vintner's Company of London, for instance, secured an
essential monopoly of the retail trade in the city in 1364. A tavern of
the later Medieval period might be imagined as a fairly substantial
building of several rooms and a generous cellar. Taverns had signs to
advertise their presence to potential customers, and branches and leaves
would be hung over the door to give notice that wine could be purchased.
Some taverns sold wine as their only beverage, and a customer could also
purchase food brought in from a convenient cook-shop. Taverns seldom
offered lodgings or very elaborate feasting, such as would be expected
at inns. Pastimes like gambling, singing, and seeking prostitutes were a
more common part of the tavern scene.

Excerpt from: Pleasures and Pastimes in Medieval England by Compton
Reeves. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998.

The favorite adult recreation of the villagers was undoubtedly drinking.
Both men and women gathered in the "tavern," usually meaning the house
of a neighbor who had recently brewed a batch of ale, cheap at the
established price of three gallons for a penny. There they passed the
evening like modern villagers visiting the local pub. Accidents,
quarrels, and acts of violence sometimes followed a session of drinking,
in the thirteenth century as well as subsequent ones. Some misadventures
may be deduced from the terse manorial court records. The rolls of the
royal coroners, reporting fatal accidents, spell out many in graphic
detail: In 1276 in Elstow, Osbert le Wuayl, son of William Cristmasse,
coming home at about midnight "Drunk and disgustingly over-fed," after
an evening in Bedford, fell and struck his head fatally on a stone
"breaking the whole of his head." One man stumbled off his horse riding
home from the tavern; another fell into a well in the marketplace and
drowned; a third, relieving himself in a pond, fell in; still another,
carrying a pot of ale down the village street, was bitten by a dog,
tripped while picking up a stone to throw, and struck his head against a
wall; a child slipped from her drunken mother's lap into a pan of hot
milk on the hearth.

One village craft was so widely practiced that it hardly belonged to
craftsmen. Every village not only had its brewers, but had them all up
and down the street. Many if not most of them were women. Ale was as
necessary to life in an English medieval village as bread, but where
flour-grinding and bread-baking were strictly guarded seigneurial
monopolies, brewing was everywhere freely permitted and freely
practiced. How the lords came to overlook this active branch of industry
is a mystery (though they found a way to profit from it by fining the
brewers for weak ale or faulty measure). Not only barley (etymologically
related to beer) but oats and wheat were used, along with malt, as
principal ingredients. The procedure was to make a batch of ale, display
a sign, and turn one's house into a temporary tavern. Some equipment was
needed, principally a large cauldron, but this did not prevent poor
women from brewing. All twenty-three persons indicted by Elton village
ale tasters in 1279 were women. Seven were pardoned because they were poor.

Excerpts from: Life in a Medieval Village by Frances & Joseph Gies. New
York: HarperCollins Publishers, 1990.

Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10) - +11 & 12

<1xa57smhqpye$.avafwmpc0rw$.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1692&group=soc.history.medieval#1692

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval,alt.economics
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 12:02:41 +1100
 by: SolomonW - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 01:02 UTC

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 08:59:51 -0800, a425couple wrote:

> Upon further thought & misc. reading, I'm really
> surprised at the absence of 2 trades.
>
> 11 - Bakery - are they thinking everybody baked
> their own bread at their homes?
> 12 - Brewers - Seems very unlikely everybody made their
> own brew / beer, or that someone hauled enough
> from outside into the town.
> - From Gies (granted this was thirteenth century England,
> but still valid) "Every village not only had it's brewers,
> but had them all up and down the street.

We would call the baker and brewer would not be taxpayers but employees of
the appropriate retail business.

Re: The 5 Most Common Jobs in a Medieval City (+6 to 10) - +11 & 12

<65de93f5-2be2-46e3-a3f1-29e6337d73a1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1793&group=soc.history.medieval#1793

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 07:58:18 -0800 (PST)
From: irfan041...@gmail.com (i 4 !RFAN)
 by: i 4 !RFAN - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 15:58 UTC