Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Thoughts about outhouses in winter from Gabaldon
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 09:20:37 -0800
 by: a425couple - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 17:20 UTC

My wife thought I'd appreciate this passage from
"Go tell the Bees that I am gone" by Dianna Gabaldon.

“Are begonias the stuff ye plant around the privy?” he asked,
breaking the silence in which we’d come from the house.
We were passing the main house privy at the moment, and the
bitter scent of tomatoes had begun to overwhelm the heady smell
of jasmine. “Is that what I smell?”

“No, that’s jasmine; the flowers don’t bloom past August, though,
so I have tomato plants coming up under the vines. Tomato plants
have a strong scent and it comes from the leaves, so you have
that almost up until the truly cold weather—when nothing smells
anyway, because it’s all frozen.” “So is anyone who spends more
than thirty seconds in a privy in January,” Jamie said.

“Ye wouldna linger to smell flowers when ye think your shit
might turn to ice before ye’ve got it all the way out.”