From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: "Running Up That Hill"
Date: 10 Mar 2023 10:23:52 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 10:23 UTC

Kate Bush said "Running Up That Hill" was about a man and
a woman changing their places. And now everyone repeats this
as the "meaning of that song".

But for me this does not explain the imagery related to "running":

|Be running up that road
|Be running up that hill
|Be running up that building
Bush 1985

. I think swapping places with someone is not necessarily
exhausting for the circulation. So bringing up this topic
of "running" requires further explanation!

I can't help but think of other activities that one can compare
with running up a hill.

Dylan also uses mountain imagery directly after the topic
of a woman knowing how a man feels:

|I ain't too good at conversation, girl
|So you might not know exactly how I feel
|But if I could, I'd bring you to the mountaintop, girl
Dylan 1983.

Re: "Running Up That Hill"

<running-20230310142445@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=172179&group=alt.usage.english#172179

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: "Running Up That Hill"
Date: 10 Mar 2023 13:26:01 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 13:26 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:
>|Be running up that road
>|Be running up that hill
>|Be running up that building
>Bush 1985

Coincidentally, I came across this topic while doing some
unrelated research:

|Epic dreaming was described by Schenck and Mahowald in 1995
|and represents a dreaming disorder characterized by endless
|and exhausting dreams associated with morning tiredness and
|chronic daytime fatigue. The condition shows a strong
|female predominance (85%). The dream content typically
|consists in relentless, mostly banal physical activity
|reoccurring nightly in 90% of affected patients.
from a Web site

|I also dreamed that my husband and I were fireman running
|to keep up with the firetruck.
from a Web report by an epic dreamer

interests / alt.usage.english / "Running Up That Hill"