Be different: conform.

interests / rec.motorcycles.harley / Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?Paul Bahre AKA Crash
+- Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?Bob La Londe
+- Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?Rick Begeman
`* Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?Phil Boutros
 `* Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?Snag
  `- Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?Rick Begeman

1
Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?

<253aabfc-d7c3-4850-bdab-e4bfb695048cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=148&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#148

Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 06:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?
From: ctrock...@gmail.com (Paul Bahre AKA Crash)
 by: Paul Bahre AKA Crash - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 13:55 UTC

On Monday, March 6, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, PhatBoy wrote:
> Yes Sir you are right! Twin cam 88s do require at least a 91 octane fuel.
> However My bike is Evo powered (see tag line below). I wanted the Evo
> because there is 20 years of aftermarket parts for it and I like to
> *tinker* on the beast...
> --
> PhatBoy
> '99 FLSTF
> Burnout City USA
> Preacher wrote in message <89uo52$7f4$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net>...
> >
> >BobsGL1500 wrote:
> >
> >>I've only had my 00 Fatboy for 2 months and have been using 93 octane
> >premium
> >>fuel. I have a couple friends that have a Heritage Classic and a Softail
> >Standard
> >>and they have been using 87 octane regular fuel since they got hem in
> >>November. They say it runs fine with no pinging or knocking. All of our
> >bikes
> >>are stock, well for now anyway. I know that the fuel injected bikes come
> >ith a
> >>decal that suggests using 91 or higher octane premium fuel. The 00
> Softails
> >>don't have such a decal.
> >
> >Geez dude, look in yer owners manual. It's right there in print. I just
> >bought a '00 *carbureted* bike and the owners manual says 91 or better
> >octane. Just 'cause there ain't no "sticker" on the damn filler door don't
> >mean ya gotta go blank on us.
> >

> >>What has everyone who has a 00 Softail or 99 model with the TC88 engine
> >>been using? Just curious. Thanks
> >

> >I use *premium*, period. I'm in Central Calif. where I pay $1.92 a gallon
> >for premium (92 octane) compared to $1.71 a gallon for regular (87 octane).
> >That's 20 cents a gallon between the two. My bike holds 5 gallons of
> >gasoline. That's A BUCK difference per fill-up. One dollar.
> >
> >If one dollar per fill-up makes that much of a difference to you then
> >*maybe* you ought'a re-think your decision to buy a $15-$19K motorcycle.
> >
> >Not flaming you, just befuddled as hell why a dollar a tank would bother
> >someone.
> >

> >Preacher - AH #89

you all must realize that when you pull up to a pump you are getting 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon of whatever crap they guy before you pumped into his car, gas can, tractor, motorcycle or whatever. So if you choose 91 gas you are probably getting diluted gas. In a small motorcycle gas tank like the 5 gallon FLSTF tank it makes a difference. So maybe getting 93 gas will net you 91 gas given the circumstances. I always look out for someone filling up a German car because all German cars call for high octane gas and I want to get in right behind them.

Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?

<sm1p4n$ts0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=150&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#150

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 16:08:07 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 23:08 UTC

On 10/1/2021 6:55 AM, Paul Bahre AKA Crash wrote:
> On Monday, March 6, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, PhatBoy wrote:
>> Yes Sir you are right! Twin cam 88s do require at least a 91 octane fuel.
>> However My bike is Evo powered (see tag line below). I wanted the Evo
>> because there is 20 years of aftermarket parts for it and I like to
>> *tinker* on the beast...
>> --
>> PhatBoy
>> '99 FLSTF
>> Burnout City USA
>> Preacher wrote in message <89uo52$7f4$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net>...

>>> premium
>>> Standard
>>> bikes
>>> ith a
>> Softails
>>>
>>> Geez dude, look in yer owners manual. It's right there in print. I just
>>> bought a '00 *carbureted* bike and the owners manual says 91 or better
>>> octane. Just 'cause there ain't no "sticker" on the damn filler door don't
>>> mean ya gotta go blank on us.

>>> I use *premium*, period. I'm in Central Calif. where I pay $1.92 a gallon
>>> for premium (92 octane) compared to $1.71 a gallon for regular (87 octane).
>>> That's 20 cents a gallon between the two. My bike holds 5 gallons of
>>> gasoline. That's A BUCK difference per fill-up. One dollar.
>>>
>>> If one dollar per fill-up makes that much of a difference to you then
>>> *maybe* you ought'a re-think your decision to buy a $15-$19K motorcycle.
>>>
>>> Not flaming you, just befuddled as hell why a dollar a tank would bother
>>> someone.
>>>

>>> Preacher - AH #89
>>>
> you all must realize that when you pull up to a pump you are getting 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon of whatever crap they guy before you pumped into his car, gas can, tractor, motorcycle or whatever. So if you choose 91 gas you are probably getting diluted gas. In a small motorcycle gas tank like the 5 gallon FLSTF tank it makes a difference. So maybe getting 93 gas will net you 91 gas given the circumstances. I always look out for someone filling up a German car because all German cars call for high octane gas and I want to get in right behind them.

Yeah, and make sure you use the right oil and the best spark plugs too.
That way you will know you are carrying the best gun in the
saddlebags, but they can't be Givi bags. Only genuine imitation OEM
aftermarket pleather from China. They have to be throw over so you can
look cool when you hang them over a shoulder to take your books to class.

https://www.avg.com

Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?

<srcfms$jgp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=164&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#164

From: rickb...@gmail.com (Rick Begeman)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 08:55:54 -0800
 by: Rick Begeman - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 16:55 UTC

On 10/1/21 6:55 AM, Paul Bahre AKA Crash wrote:
> On Monday, March 6, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, PhatBoy wrote:
>> Yes Sir you are right! Twin cam 88s do require at least a 91 octane fuel.

I always look out for someone filling up a German car because all
German cars call for high octane gas and I want to get in right behind them.

Even if they had 100 octane fuel at the typical pump, everyone buys
regular! How long has that 100 octane sat in the tank sucking up water.

A lot of the premium fuel is stale because of this.

Now my real pet peeve with discussing octane.
When you are on the road you don't have a choice.
You take what is at the pump.

For all you tinkerers, I'll be gassing and going I'm not going stop to
to change my tune to match the percieved quality of fuel.

If it's hot and you are fully loaded going up hill, if your tuneup is
not right, your pistons will leave the motor via the tail pipe.

You should be talking about tuneup not fuel octane #'s posted on the
pump. You can change the tuneup but not the fuel quality.

--
Ironhead Rick

Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?

<slrnstsc92.8q9.philb@ah61.is-a-geek.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#169

From: phi...@philb.ca (Phil Boutros)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 01:38:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phil Boutros - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 01:38 UTC

Paul Bahre AKA Crash <ctrockdog@gmail.com> wrote:

> you all must realize that when you pull up to a pump you are getting
> 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon of whatever crap they guy before you pumped into
> his car, gas can, tractor, motorcycle or whatever.
<snip>

First, you're replying to a thread so old, it can drink, even in
the US.

Secondly, one reason I like Chevron here in Canada, besides the
fact that they are the only ones to have 94 octane, which doesn't have
ethanol in it, is that they have a separate pump/nozzle just for the
94.

Of course, that doesn't help the staleness problem, but I had fuel
work just fine that was in my tank for multiple yearS, as long as I
remembered to add some fuel conditioner every year.

Phil
--
AH#61 Wolf#14 BS#89 bus#1 CCB#1 SENS KOTC#4
philb@philb.ca http://philb.ca

Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?

<srno64$tnj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=170&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#170

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 17:28:07 -0600
 by: Snag - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 23:28 UTC

On 1/11/2022 7:38 PM, Phil Boutros wrote:
> Paul Bahre AKA Crash <ctrockdog@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> you all must realize that when you pull up to a pump you are getting
>> 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon of whatever crap they guy before you pumped into
>> his car, gas can, tractor, motorcycle or whatever.
> <snip>
>
> First, you're replying to a thread so old, it can drink, even in
> the US.
>
> Secondly, one reason I like Chevron here in Canada, besides the
> fact that they are the only ones to have 94 octane, which doesn't have
> ethanol in it, is that they have a separate pump/nozzle just for the
> 94.
>
> Of course, that doesn't help the staleness problem, but I had fuel
> work just fine that was in my tank for multiple yearS, as long as I
> remembered to add some fuel conditioner every year.
>

> Phil

I trade at a station that has a dedicated 92 non-ethanol pump . The
gas there is never stale between the local hot rodders and all the bikes
that come here for the roads .
--
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !

Re: What Octane Fuel for 00 Softail?

<ssf5km$ufs$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=173&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#173

From: rickb...@gmail.com (Rick Begeman)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:38:45 -0800
 by: Rick Begeman - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 20:38 UTC

On 1/12/22 3:28 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 1/11/2022 7:38 PM, Phil Boutros wrote:
>> Paul Bahre AKA Crash <ctrockdog@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> you all must realize that when you pull up to a pump you are getting
>>> 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon of whatever crap they guy before you pumped into
>>> his car, gas can, tractor, motorcycle or whatever.
>> <snip>
>>
>>      First, you're replying to a thread so old, it can drink, even in
>> the US.
>>
>>      Secondly, one reason I like Chevron here in Canada, besides the
>> fact that they are the only ones to have 94 octane, which doesn't have
>> ethanol in it, is that they have a separate pump/nozzle just for the
>> 94.
>>
>>      Of course, that doesn't help the staleness problem, but I had fuel
>> work just fine that was in my tank for multiple yearS, as long as I
>> remembered to add some fuel conditioner every year.
>>

>> Phil
>>

>   I trade at a station that has a dedicated 92 non-ethanol pump . The
> gas there is never stale between the local hot rodders and all the bikes
> that come here for the roads .

Yep, lucky to find a good station anymore.
The bastards here double the price of premium for non-ethanol gas.

--
Ironhead Rick