Suicide is the sincerest form of self-criticism. -- Donald Kaul

interests / alt.obituaries / Barry Humphries: Dame Edna Everage comedian dies at 89 Published

SubjectAuthor
* Barry Humphries: Dame Edna Everage comedian dies at 89 PublishedBig Mongo
`* Re: Barry Humphries: Dame Edna Everage comedian dies at 89 PublishedLenona
 `- Re: Barry Humphries: Dame Edna Everage comedian dies at 89 Publishedradioacti...@gmail.com

1
Barry Humphries: Dame Edna Everage comedian dies at 89 Published

<f1585f9d-afd4-4907-ba26-39788697ee80n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17325&group=alt.obituaries#17325

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:09:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Barry Humphries: Dame Edna Everage comedian dies at 89 Published
From: bigmongo...@gmail.com (Big Mongo)
 by: Big Mongo - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:09 UTC

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65328507

Barry Humphries: Dame Edna Everage comedian dies at 89

By Paul Glynn
Entertainment reporter
Australian entertainer Barry Humphries, best known for his comic character Dame Edna Everage, has died aged 89.

The star had been in hospital in Sydney after suffering complications following hip surgery in March. He had a fall in February.

Humphries' most famous creation became a hit in the UK in the 1970s and landed her own TV chat show, the Dame Edna Everage Experience, in the late 1980s.

His other personas included the lecherous drunk Sir Les Patterson.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese paid tribute to Humphries as news of his death broke.

"A great wit, satirist, writer and an absolute one-of-kind, he was both gifted and a gift." Mr Albanese said.

In a statement, his family remembered him as "completely himself until the very end, never losing his brilliant mind, his unique wit and generosity of spirit".

They said Humphries' fans were "precious to him", and said his characters, "which brought laughter to millions, will live on".

Melbourne-born Humphries moved to London in 1959, appearing in West End shows such as Maggie May and Oliver!

Inspired by the absurdist, avant-garde art movement dada, he became a leading figure of the British comedy scene alongside contemporaries like Alan Bennett, Dudley Moore and Spike Milligan.

Journalist and broadcaster Andrew Neil said he visited Humphries in hospital two weeks ago: "His spirits and wit were as acute as ever," he said.

"I count myself lucky and privileged I got to see him one more time."

'Hello possums!'
Dame Edna first appeared in the 1950s when he was living in Australia, as a parody of suburban housewives - based on his own mother.

"Edna was painfully shy at first," Humphries told the Guardian in 2018. "Hard to believe!"

She became more outrageous as the years went on, and was famed for her lilac-rinsed hair, flamboyant glasses and catchphrase: "Hello possums!"

Dame Edna surprised the then Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla, at the Royal Variety show in 2019 when she sat near the two and joked "they've found me a better seat" before moving.

Humphries even wrote an autobiography, My Gorgeous Life, as the character.

His other popular characters on stage and screen included the more grandfatherly Sandy Stone.

He said of Stone in 2016 that he could "finally feel myself turning into him".

The comic actor, author, director and scriptwriter, who was also a keen landscape painter, announced a farewell tour for his satirical one-man stage show in 2012. But he returned last year with a series of shows looking back at his career.

His other credits included voicing the shark Bruce in 2003 Pixar animated film Finding Nemo, as well as appearances in 1967 comedy Bedazzled, Spice World, The Hobbit and Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie.

He was married four times, and leaves behind his wife of Lizzie Spender and four children.

Re: Barry Humphries: Dame Edna Everage comedian dies at 89 Published

<8f033305-42c3-4659-bbf1-72828bea4ba1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17332&group=alt.obituaries#17332

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 13:38:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 20:38 UTC

I saw him on stage - in 2009, I think it was - and he was very sweet and enjoyable. Even for a crowd-pleaser.

Here's what it says in Philip Core's book "Camp: The Lie That Tells the Truth":

"Dame Edna Everage is only just camp . A drag satire , this appalling Australian ' Housewife Superstar ' is a sort of Max Beerbohm caricature of the horrors of philistine society , devised by a gentle and scholarly antipodean aesthete called Barry Humphries , who collects fin de siècle paintings and is a friend of Sir John Betjeman . His act is more social commentary than camp , but perhaps a perverse fascination for the hideous , sexually anomalous normalcy of his victim leaks through Humphries ' act , revealing parts of himself he intended to sublimate."

And yes, there was a photo. I think he was holding a cucumber (the photo wasn't in color, so I'm not completely sure).

Re: Barry Humphries: Dame Edna Everage comedian dies at 89 Published

<5dc82c06-a7f2-40ba-aef7-8d1679c55456n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17386&group=alt.obituaries#17386

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 17:52:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 00:52 UTC

The late comic Humphries was yet another of these unfortunate older folks who didn't outlive hip fractures. Does someone who understands (better than I so minimally do) both physiology and pathology know why hip fractures so often turn out to be so deadly to older folks?

I heard decades ago from a senior something I've been haunted by ever since--and increasingly so now that I'm closing in on my 70s. She told me, "Just you watch: after some old person breaks a hip--they're almost always dead six months later."

She really seems to have been onto something, to my news-absorbing experience. But can anyone explain why things usually work out in this sad way? That is, why is hip breakage hugely more insulting to the body's constitution than, say, a broken leg or a broken shoulder?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this (even if you only play a doctor on TV).

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida