A fair exterior is a silent recommendation. -- Publilius Syrus

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / Re: Florida Fascists Give Up on Punishing Disney

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Florida Fascists Give Up on Punishing Disneyfilm...@gmail.com
`* Re: Florida Fascists Give Up on Punishing Disneyfilm...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Florida Fascists Give Up on Punishing Disneyfilm...@gmail.com

1
Re: Florida Fascists Give Up on Punishing Disney

<50d3f2aa-546d-4418-94e8-6e164712c6abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17347&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#17347

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 14:28:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Florida Fascists Give Up on Punishing Disney
From: filmby...@gmail.com (film...@gmail.com)
 by: film...@gmail.com - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 22:28 UTC

On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 12:32:04 PM UTC-8, Technobarbarian wrote:
> They figured out that the punishment really would hurt them far
> more than it hurt Disney.
>
> https://www.ft.com/content/64162abf-e0bd-4a6f-968a-cb4872e5c4f5
>
> "Florida prepares U-turn on Disney’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ punishment"
>
> [snip]
> "The law passed this spring “is a tax increase,” said Linda Stewart, a
> Democratic state senator who represents part of Orlando, where Disney
> World is based. “I don’t think [DeSantis] understood how badly this
> could go for the state of Florida and the counties and the cities.”
>
> She said a potential compromise under discussion would bar Disney from
> building a nuclear power plant or an airport on the property, rights
> granted to the company by Florida in 1967 that it is unlikely to use.
>
> More significantly for DeSantis, there is also discussion of allowing
> the governor to appoint two members to the Reedy Creek board. “These
> compromises can be done with the least amount of impact,” Stewart said.
> “We can’t let the governor look like he lost.”
>
> The law removing Disney’s special status does not go into effect until
> next summer, giving the various parties time to negotiate. A draft
> compromise bill is already being drawn up by a Republican senator,
> lawmakers say.
>
> “It seems like Disney and the legislature have motivation to make a
> deal. Nobody wants a train wreck,” said a source involved in Florida
> politics who asked not to be named.
>
> Disney declined to comment. A spokesperson for DeSantis and Reedy Creek
> did not respond to a request for comment.
>
> IOW they don't want DeSaintless to look like a loser. It's a
> compromise. LOL
>
> TB

DeSatan also has looming troubles with his Dept. of Corrections... It's overcrowded with convicts, and understaffed by 25%.... He's forced hundreds of NG troops into prison guard jobs outside the fence, and forcing C/Os to work outrageous amounts of overtime.... Current staff is burned out, and senior staff is fleeing to other agencies, and states, for better employment.... Judges may soon demanding inmate releases due to over crowding...

Uncle Bighouse

Re: Florida Fascists Give Up on Punishing Disney

<568700a3-9bc2-46ee-8817-34b82969cf9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17348&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#17348

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 18:28:52 -0800 (PST)
From: filmby...@gmail.com (film...@gmail.com)
 by: film...@gmail.com - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 02:28 UTC

On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 4:19:02 PM UTC-8, Technobarbarian wrote:
> [...]
> The New Tropic, a Miami-based news site, noted in a 2016 report. Within
> 40 years, the state had 61,000 slaves, who, four years later, had to be
> freed because of emancipation. Florida enacted its version of
> anti-Reconstruction laws, known as the Black Codes, to legally control
> the formerly enslaved people and use a prison system designed to lock up
> those who fell afoul of expanded vagrancy laws and were jailed for a year..
>
> Soon inmates were being rented out to raise funds to pay for the state’s
> rapid growth. Gov. George Franklin Drew codified this practice in 1877.
> Douglas Blackmon, in his 2008 book “Slavery by Another Name,” described
> it as a substitute for slavery. “The convict leasing system was
> especially harsh in Florida, where convicts worked long days mining
> phosphate and turpentine, clearing out tropical landscapes, and laying
> roads in hellish temperatures without adequate food, water, or shelter,”
> Blackmon wrote. “By 1900, the South’s judicial system had been wholly
> reconfigured to make one of its primary purposes the coercion of African
> Americans to comply with the social customs and labor demands of whites.”
>
> In Florida, “companies that benefited from the system gave tacit and
> direct support for the social and legal barriers aimed against the black
> citizens,” World Digital Library, a project of the U.S. Library of
> Congress, noted.
>
> Miami historian Paul George also describing it as “almost like another
> form of slavery,” adding, “People would get picked up on bogus charges
> or for small slip-ups, get convicted, and sent to work,” according to
> New Tropic.
>
> There were not enough workers to keep up with development, so convict
> leasing was used on many state road projects throughout Florida. Tamiami
> Trail was among those that used prison labor, as was construction of a
> corrections department auto-tag plant and a shirt factory. Within two
> decades, inmates were also being forced to work in dairy farming and
> cigarette manufacturing."
> [snip]
>
> https://www.sfltimes.com/opinion/florida-still-among-states-benefiting-handsomely-from-prison-slave-labor
>
> This might be a small problem, if and when their favorite fascist
> goes national. The idea is likely to be very popular, with the
> Republican Party's "base". We already have a higher percentage of our
> people behind bars than any other nation. What difference would a couple
> million more make, as long as we can rent them out? Since the
> politicians aren't paying for it they really don't have to worry about
> whether or not the system turns a profit. All it has to do is benefit
> their "friends".
>
> "Almost like another form of slavery"? Bullshit. You could be sent
> to prison under the vagrancy laws if you couldn't prove you had a job.
> People were jailed for being healthy young men while Black.

Yep! Florida, is the land of "Cool Hand Luke"... I wonder how much outside work is done by high level convicts any more? There's too much liability, & expense involved.... Back in the good old days, convicts were a lot more docile, that the ones today... There's a lot more "'Gators", than back in those good old days.......

Captain No Eyes Jr.

Re: Florida Fascists Give Up on Punishing Disney

<08e655d8-5ad5-407d-a651-71d9c6ddc94bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17353&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#17353

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 20:49:20 -0800 (PST)
From: filmby...@gmail.com (film...@gmail.com)
 by: film...@gmail.com - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 04:49 UTC

On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 7:43:18 PM UTC-8, Technobarbarian wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Captain No Eyes Jr.
> Luke wasn't a high level prisoner. None of them were. He was
> arrested for cutting the heads off of parking meters. (Try doing that
> these days and see what it gets you. Haw Haw.) Here we have prisoners
> fighting forest fires. I think they make a little over a buck an hour.
> They only take volunteers. We frequently go past the "forest work camp"
> on our way back and forth to the coast. Some of the worst driving I've
> seen anywhere has been state owned vans anywhere near the road that cuts
> off to the work camp.
>
> The Forest Service has a warehouse near the state prison in Salem.
> I was in there one day and they had a convict sharpening axes from a big
> pile on a big vertical belt sander. I guess they figured he was "docile"

Click here to read the complete article