We cannot command nature except by obeying her. -- Sir Francis Bacon

arts / rec.arts.tv / ‘Batgirl’ “Was Not Releasable” Says DC Co-Chief Peter Safran, But Studio Would Like To Be Back In Business With Pic’s Directors

SubjectAuthor
* ‘Batgirl’ “Wasanim8rfsk
`* Re: ‘Batgirl’ “Was Not Releasable” Says DC Co-Chief Peter Safran, But Studio WouIan J. Ball
 `- Re: ‘Batgirl’ “Wasanim8rfsk

1
‘Batgirl’ “Was Not Releasable” Says DC Co-Chief Peter Safran, But Studio Would Like To Be Back In Business With Pic’s Directors

<1290649493.696952185.967775.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=173896&group=rec.arts.tv#173896

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: ‘Batgirl’ “Was
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 06:54:02 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 13:54 UTC

https://deadline.com/2023/01/batgirl-dc-peter-safran-james-gunn-adil-el-arbi-bilall-fallah-1235245870/

‘Batgirl’ “Was Not Releasable” Says DC Co-Chief Peter Safran, But Studio
Would Like To Be Back In Business With Pic’s Directors

DC Co-Chairmen and CEOs Peter Safran and James Gunn were asked to
postmortem the Batgirl axing situation yesterday at their slate unveiling
for the comic book studio.

“I saw the movie,” said Safran, “There are a lot of incredibly talented
people in front of and behind the camera in that film, but that was not
releasable. It happens sometimes.”

He added: “I think [Warner Discovery CEO David] Zaslav and the team made a
bold and courageous decision to cancel it, because it would have hurt DC
and those people involved. I spoke to [Batgirl directors] Adil El Arbi and
Bilall Fallah last week — we’d love to be in business with all of them.”

“Christina Hodson wrote it, and we’re already back in business with her,”
said the DC producer referring to the scribe who’s part of Gunn’s writers
room for DC Universe Chapter One “Gods and Monsters”.

The Leslie Grace-Michael Keaton-Brendan Fraser starring film, originally
destined for HBO Max, cost around $70M. After one test screening, which we
hear earned the same score as It, the Zaslav-run Warner Discovery pulled
the plug on the film to take advantage of a “purchase accounting” maneuver
in order to take care of cost-cutting measures. What was shocking about
Warner’s pulling the plug was in regards to how far along production was;
it’s not typical to cancel a film during post-production, not to mention
all unfinished films are unreleasable. Batgirl didn’t have any VFX. Sources
say the release of Batgirl would have potentially impacted the greater
universe storyline that’s being mapped out with Flash, which also stars
Keaton as Batman, and is expected to reboot the whole DC-verse. After the
film was cancelled the footage the filmmakers shot went completely missing
from their servers. The filmmakers were in Morocco for El Arbi’s wedding
when they learned that Warners axed Batgirl.

“I think it was not an easy decision, but they made the right decision by
shelving it,” emphasized Safran, while also noting “Batgirl is inevitably a
character we’ll include in our story.”

Warner Discovery CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels said at a Bank of America Media
conference that the shelving of Batgirl was “blown out of proportion” by
the press.

“Media likes to talk about media, I guess,” he said back in September. “We
have healthy relationships with talent, and we are offering one of the best
platforms for anyone in the creative space.”

Leslie Grace, who was to star as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, talked with
Collider about her experiences filming Batgirl and the many action scenes
she shot alongside her co-star Brendan Fraser, who would have portrayed the
villain Firefly in the film.

“I felt so blessed to have him as my sparring partner,” Grace said of her
scenes with Fraser. “We had so many amazing action scenes together where we
were beating each other up, but hugging in between takes because he’s just
so sweet.” She added, “I would’ve loved people to see those moments, but
you know what? You have the experience, and you keep on rolling, and I feel
so blessed, all in all, that I have those memories.”

El Arbi and Fallah have moved on: this morning as the DC slate news was
breaking, Sony announced the duo were returning and going into
pre-production on the fourth Bad Boys movies with Will Smith and Martin
Lawrence after their previous collaboration grossed over $426M WW.

Re: ‘Batgirl’ “Was Not Releasable” Says DC Co-Chief Peter Safran, But Studio Would Like To Be Back In Business With Pic’s Directors

<trdt2v$chln$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=173897&group=rec.arts.tv#173897

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re:_‘Batgirl’_“Was_Not_Releasable”_Says_DC_Co-Chief_Peter_Safran,_But_Studio_Would_Like_To_Be_Back_In_Business_With_Pic’s_Directors
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 06:30:55 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 14:30 UTC

On 2023-02-01 13:54:02 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> https://deadline.com/2023/01/batgirl-dc-peter-safran-james-gunn-adil-el-arbi-bilall-fallah-1235245870/
>

> ‘Batgirl’ “Was Not Releasable” Says DC Co-Chief Peter Safran, But Studio
> Would Like To Be Back In Business With Pic’s Directors
>
> DC Co-Chairmen and CEOs Peter Safran and James Gunn were asked to
> postmortem the Batgirl axing situation yesterday at their slate unveiling
> for the comic book studio.
>
> “I saw the movie,” said Safran, “There are a lot of incredibly talented
> people in front of and behind the camera in that film, but that was not
> releasable. It happens sometimes.”
>
> He added: “I think [Warner Discovery CEO David] Zaslav and the team made a
> bold and courageous decision to cancel it, because it would have hurt DC
> and those people involved. I spoke to [Batgirl directors] Adil El Arbi and
> Bilall Fallah last week — we’d love to be in business with all of them.”

BWA HA HA HA HA HA!!

Re: ‘Batgirl’ “Was Not Releasable” Says DC Co-Chief Peter Safran, But Studio Would Like To Be Back In Business With Pic’s Directors

<213710504.696984017.378425.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=173955&group=rec.arts.tv#173955

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: ‘Batgirl’ “Was
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 16:13:12 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 23:13 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-02-01 13:54:02 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/01/batgirl-dc-peter-safran-james-gunn-adil-el-arbi-bilall-fallah-1235245870/
>>

>> ‘Batgirl’ “Was Not Releasable” Says DC Co-Chief Peter Safran, But Studio
>> Would Like To Be Back In Business With Pic’s Directors
>>
>> DC Co-Chairmen and CEOs Peter Safran and James Gunn were asked to
>> postmortem the Batgirl axing situation yesterday at their slate unveiling
>> for the comic book studio.
>>
>> “I saw the movie,” said Safran, “There are a lot of incredibly talented
>> people in front of and behind the camera in that film, but that was not
>> releasable. It happens sometimes.”
>>
>> He added: “I think [Warner Discovery CEO David] Zaslav and the team made a
>> bold and courageous decision to cancel it, because it would have hurt DC
>> and those people involved. I spoke to [Batgirl directors] Adil El Arbi and
>> Bilall Fallah last week — we’d love to be in business with all of them.”
>
> BWA HA HA HA HA HA!!

I like how this seems to imply or infer that batteredwoman was releasable.