From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: death of Peter Poulos, Margie's Candies owner
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 12:15:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 4 May 2023 12:15 UTC

Peter Poulos was the third generation owner of Margie's Candies, an ice
cream shop that's been at the back of a bank building in a northwest
side neighborhood of Chicago since his grandfather founded it in 1920.
He was 86. He died of cancer 4/26/2023, but had still been managing
the restaurant that morning.

He was a podiatrist by profession and took over the restaurant from his
mother Margie after her death. He ran the restaurant with his wife
Christina but she died in 2009. He moved his clinic across from the
restaurant so he could run the place after he closed the clinic for the
day. Like his mother, he had worked there as a child. His mother had run
the place from 1954-1995, after his father's death, and until her death.
She died on the job.

I can remember her sitting at the cash register, a tiny woman.

There was a small confectionery in the basement that his mother ran as
well. Candies were packed in fancy boxes and sold in the restaurants.

The ice cream was from a commercial dairy; they never had room to make
the ice cream themselves. But the hot fudge was home made.

The place looked old, unchanged, clearly from another time. Some time
after WWII, a fancy juke box system had been installed with record
selectors at every single table. It had stopped working years before I
ever ate there but it was mothballed and remained in place.

It's not a neighborhood I ever lived in but it wasn't too far from the
"L" station and major bus routes ran by, so if I wanted to indulge, it
was easy enough to hop off transit then hop back on again.

George, the 27 year old son of Peter and Christina and now the 4th
generation, will take over operation of the restaurant. He intends to
leave everything unchanged.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/obituaries/2023/5/3/23708634/peter-george-poulos-margies-candies-dead-obituary