The only really decent thing to do behind a person's back is pat it.

interests / alt.obituaries / Hodding Carter III, 88, Washington D.C. insider

SubjectAuthor
* Hodding Carter III, 88, Washington D.C. insiderradioacti...@gmail.com
`- Re: Hodding Carter III, 88, Washington D.C. insiderLouis Epstein

1
Hodding Carter III, 88, Washington D.C. insider

<e4a89d3b-a729-4cc2-9c1a-54d27318a19cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17570&group=alt.obituaries#17570

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 11:35:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Hodding Carter III, 88, Washington D.C. insider
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Fri, 12 May 2023 18:35 UTC

An State Department appointee of--though apparently not even a distant relation* of the single-term and fellow-Southerner President--Jimmy Carter (and familiar face to all us fans of This Week with David Brinkley**), Hodding Carter III was always a voice-of-reason centrist Democrat.

Commentator, journalist and educator Carter died yesterday in the college town of Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

Centrist Democrats are, alas, quite nearly an extinct species these days in this post-St. George of Floyd Era, now that thinly-disguised Marxists so thoroughly dominate the once-quite-legitimate left-wing portion of America's ever-corroding two-party system.

Year in, year out, the late Carter on Sunday morns always held his ideological (and intellectual) own against the ever-erudite conservative leading light George Will. And that sure ain't easy to do.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
==================* I could have sworn I once heard*** that Hodding Carter III (which Brinkley invariably voiced as "Carter, third" rather than the easier-on-the-ears AND -mind "Carter the Third" when introducing him) had SOME familial connection to the longtime peanut farmer (not to mention longest-time surviving former President) Carter.
** Hands-down the finest "Sunday morning interview show" EVER...though "Meet the Press" under Tim Russert and the early years of its present iteration under Chuck Todd--that is, before Todd went so inexplicably woke--were pretty elegant productions, too.
*** Just maybe I did INDEED hear some talking head claim that, if only erroneously. Or perhaps I'm conflating that with hearing Billy Bush being a distant relative of George Walker Bush? Or Albert Gore Jr. being distantly related to the late Gore Vidal? (Which, by the way, the former Vice President**** in fact IS.)
**** I've long contended it was a serious punctuational error by the 1787 Constitutional Conventioneers in Philadelphia not to style the punchline position as hyphenated.
====================https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodding_Carter_III

Re: Hodding Carter III, 88, Washington D.C. insider

<u3mjnt$ob6$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17575&group=alt.obituaries#17575

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Hodding Carter III, 88, Washington D.C. insider
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 23:56:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 12 May 2023 23:56 UTC

radioacti...@gmail.com <radioactiveseattle@gmail.com> wrote:
> An State Department appointee of--though apparently not even a distant relation* of the single-term and fellow-Southerner President--Jimmy Carter (and familiar face to all us fans of This Week with David Brinkley**), Hodding Carter III was always a voice-of-reason centrist Democrat.
>
> Commentator, journalist and educator Carter died yesterday in the college town of Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
>
> Centrist Democrats are, alas, quite nearly an extinct species these days in this post-St. George of Floyd Era, now that thinly-disguised Marxists so thoroughly dominate the once-quite-legitimate left-wing portion of America's ever-corroding two-party system.
>
> Year in, year out, the late Carter on Sunday morns always held his ideological (and intellectual) own against the ever-erudite conservative leading light George Will. And that sure ain't easy to do.
>
> BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
> ===================
> * I could have sworn I once heard*** that Hodding Carter III (which Brinkley
> invariably voiced as "Carter, third" rather than the easier-on-the-ears AND
> -mind "Carter the Third" when introducing him) had SOME familial connection
> to the longtime peanut farmer (not to mention longest-time surviving former
> President) Carter.

Some "thirds" write their names with a comma between the name and the
Roman numeral,which might indicate a preference for Brinkley's rendering.

It's possible that they derive from Robert "King" Carter(1663-1732),
reputedly the first millionaire in Virginia...though the known descendants
denied being kin to the President when the tie was alleged decades ago.

> ** Hands-down the finest "Sunday morning interview show" EVER...though "Meet
> the Press" under Tim Russert and the early years of its present iteration
> under Chuck Todd--that is, before Todd went so inexplicably woke--were pretty
> elegant productions, too.

The program had many previous incarnations back to 1947.

> *** Just maybe I did INDEED hear some talking head claim that, if only
? erroneously. Or perhaps I'm conflating that with hearing Billy Bush being a
> distant relative of George Walker Bush? Or Albert Gore Jr. being distantly
> related to the late Gore Vidal? (Which, by the way, the former Vice
> President**** in fact IS.)

But is he descended from Gerard Gore(1516?-1607),ancestor of the Gore
baronets of Magherabegg,Earls of Arran,and Barons Annaly,Ormsby-Gore
Barons Harlech,Gore-Booth baronets,and Temple-Gore-Langton Earls Temple of
Stowe?

> **** I've long contended it was a serious punctuational error by the 1787
> Constitutional Conventioneers in Philadelphia not to style the punchline
> position as hyphenated.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodding_Carter_III

-=-=-