Youth is a disease from which we all recover. -- Dorothy Fuldheim

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)BTR1701
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)anim8rfsk
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)anim8rfsk
||  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)shawn
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)BTR1701
|  `* Law & Order "Fear and Loathing" 2/23/2023 (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Adam H. Kerman
|   `- Re: Law & Order "Fear and Loathing" 2/23/2023 (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-BTR1701
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)BTR1701
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)anim8rfsk
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)Justine Kent

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<ttdil4$2khc2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176886&group=rec.arts.tv#176886

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 10:05:24 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:05 UTC

This is going to be long, as this is 2-day catch-up, and I actually
watched movies on Friday!!

I watched:

THUR:

soaps: DOOL - Wed's ep. OK, so I missed a step - somehow Eric found out
Sloan was working for Li Shen, and so lies to Rafe to get access to Dr.
Rolf to get Rolf to sign the confession against Li/immunity agreement.
Meanwhile, Brady kidnaps Stefan - in the end, a tied-up Stefan is
horrified when Eric shows up with Dr. Rolf, intending to "finish" the
deprogramming procedure! Li coerces/bribes Gabi to stay married to him
for 6 months (we'll see how long that lasts!!). Johnny finds the
drug/poison Stefan is using, and confronts EJ worried that EJ is on
drugs - EJ figures out that Stefan may be drugging him.

The Ark (recorded) - "We Weren't Supposed to Be Awake" (ep. #4).
Like I said in the followup to WDYW? Arthur's post on this ep -
Episode #3 was dumb but fun; episode #4 was just dumb.
As Anim said, this was a loose("lose"?!) take on "Star Trek's" "The
Naked Time", just not nearly as good, and mostly devoid of humor - in
this one, the crew start hallucinating one-by-one (except, of course,
for the android(?!) Lt. Garnet). Dr. Kabir hallucinates her mentor -
Dr. Albert Hall. Eva Markovic unsurprisingly hallucinates her dead
lover, Harris. Lane hallucinates an EVOL!!1! version of Brice who wants
to eliminate Garnet!
In the episode's only amusing bit, the crop nerd Angus, hallucinates
a slutty version of Garnet, who is made up like a whore, and who sports
a plunging neckline nearly down to her navel! This hallucination
actually allows Angus to come up with the answer - it's in the water!
(Like, *duh*!!) Angus seems to be fighting his lust for Garnet as best
he can.
Oh, this episode does confirm that "glasses girl" is actually cute
without the glasses. Also, it may have been my imagination, but she was
slightly less irritating in this one. So... progress!
Meanwhile, Lane takes the "murder" footage to Security dude Felix,
who is forced to arrest Sharon Garnet... After a lot of hemming and
hawing, Garnet is forced to reveal to Felix that she is a clone, and
her "sister clone" was the one who committed the murder (and
conveniently, subsequently turned up dead). Felix checks the timeline,
and "Sharon Garnet" could not have committed the murder and is released.
I'm really hoping that Garnet is wrong about her origins, and she
really is an android or a cyborg or something. And even if she's right
- are we supposed to believe there were only two clones?! (I'm also not
convinced that the logs weren't doctored, and that Sharon didn't
actually commit the murder.)
Anyway, the real prooblem with this episode was the execrable "science".
They say the thing in the water causing the hallucinations was "a
molecule smaller than water" (which is why the filters/purification
system didn't catch it) - uh uh: there aren't many molecules smaller
than water. Then they say the hallucinogen is "related to LSD" (aka.
Lysergic acid diethylamide) - OK, so then it's a *big* molecule (LSD
has a molar mass of >300 g/mol!)... Bottom line: They just got this
wrong (RONG!).
Then there's the whole sequence where Angus discovers what shredded
Brice's glove and destroyed the cryochambers - it's a new unknown
"element"!! This is just dumb for a bunch of reasons, starting with the
only unknown elements from here on in will be radioactive (and almost
certainly *short-lived* radioactive!!), and ending with a new element
would almost certainly not do what was shown on-screen.
This causes Angus to posit that the loss of the cryochambers wasn't
an "accident", but may have been an "attack" - an *alien* attack!
Overall, this was dumb episode, without much of a payoff.
Let's hope the next episode is better. (And it's not a good sign
that I don't even remember what the promo for the next episode
promised!)

Her Affair To Die For (LMN) - This was OK - I liked Meghan Carrasquillo
who played the psycho girl.
College-aged ingenue (Logan Mariner, who is an actress if you can't
tell from the first name!) takes in a new roommate (Carrasquillo). It
is unclear if the psycho girl targetted the ingenue, or just improbably
becomes obsessed with her dad by coincidence. But the pyscho becomes
obsessed with the dad (Ryan Francis), who is having trouble in his
marriage due to his career, and the pyscho successfully seduces him.
It's not long before she's managing to kill off his business rivals,
and trying to murder his estranged wife!!
The ending to this was abrupt, and I dislike the recent trend of not
following up on the pyscho at the end.

FRI:

M3GAN (Peacock) - This was as fun as I was hoping it would be, and was
maybe slightly "deeper" than I was expecting.
Allison Williams plays Gemma, a career-obsessed gal who is
determined to design a functioning AI life-sized android "toy", though
her boss (an amusing Ronny Chieng) thinks she's whacked.
Gemma soon gets saddled with her niece Cady (Violet McGraw, who
looks really familiar to me - I guess I know her from "Black Widow" and
"Doctor Sleep"?) after Gemma's sister and husband die in a car accident
(Cady was also in the car, but somehow received only minor injuries).
Anyway, as Cady is a sad-sack orphan, Gemma redoubles her efforts
with her two underlings (Jen Van Epps and Brian Jordan Alvarez, who IMO
bares an uncanny resemblence to actor Michael Weston!) and manages to
get a functioning prototype, "M3GAN", working.
For the record, M3GAN's not creepy at all - oh no!! ;p
Well, in her rush, Gemma must have forgotten to put Asimov's Three
Laws of Robotics into M3GAN's AI code, so you know where this is going!
- soon enough, M3GAN is taking *drastic* measures to "project" Cady,
the human she's "paired" with, from *any and all* physical or emotional
threats!
Murderous wackiness ensues!!
Oh, and M3GAN also becomes self-aware!
This can't be good!!
The flick seems to end hinting at a sequel, and sure enough one is
in the works.

Violent Night (Peacock) - I was surprised to see that this was "rated"
lower than M3GAN, and it turns out that that was right - while this was
also fun, it wasn't as fun as M3GAN was...
Arthur basically described this in his earlier review - Santa takes
on some mercenary terrorist/thief-types who violently take over the
mansion compound of one of the richest families around - Beverly
D'Angelo plays the mean, tough-as-nails matriarch of the family - in
order to break into the mansion's vault, which contains hundreds of
millions of dollar$!
Unfortunately for them, the real Santa Claus (David Harbour
obviously had fun with this one) just happens to be on-site when the
EVOL!!1! mercenaries, led by a scenery-chewing John Leguizamo, take
over. And when one of the thugs scuffles with Santa, the reindeer are
scared off, stranding Santa.
Will Santa save this mostly-rotten richie-rich family? - Is it Christmas?!!
I also like how one sequence basically replays "Home Alone", but
with *realistic consequences*, and not the "cartoon violence" of the
original "Home Alone".
There are a couple of problems with this one. Firstly, it spends too
much time with the family, and not enough time on Santa - though we do
get a vague backstory on "Santa" (and he started ot on the "Naughty"
list! though it's never explained how he got tapped to be Santa...; we
also never see "Mrs. Claus", though she is referenced repeatedly).
Secondly, the film tries to have its cake and eat it too - effectively
spoofing "Christmas movies", while at the same time trying to be a
Christmas movie - I would have preferred it if they had just played it
as a straighter "action-comedy" flick without the overt "Christmas
movie" angle.
But, still - this was a decent ride.
Apparently, a sequel to this one may also be in the works, though it
sounds like less of a sure thing than "M3GAN 2.0".

Newlywed Nightmare (Lifetime) - This was a weird Lifetime flick in that
it didn't appear to go down how Lifetime flicks usually go.
In this one, a newlywed (Sarah Borne) gets kidnapped by the crazy ex
(Olivia Jordan, playing believably unhinged!) of her new husband (Yoshi
Sudarso), to use in a plan to take all his money. It is revealed that
the crazy ex is not working on her own, and appears to be a flunky who
has been tricked(?) into being an accomplice. But she's still
obsessively delusional and unpredicably crazy!!
Meanwhile, the husband gets nowhere with the cops - in its own way,
Lifetime may be the most "anti cop" outlet there is, what with the
number of their flicks showing cops patronizingly dismissing legitimate
crimes that are brought to them!
Anyway, "conveniently", the husband comes across a "vacationing"
P.I. (veteran actress Catherine Dyer) who agrees to help him find out
what happened to his new wife. Nothing fishy about this sitch, right?!
I fell asleep towards the end of this, so I missed the take-down,
but saw the very end which may have hinted at a sequel. (FTR, sequels
to Lifetime flicks almost never get made though.)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<atropos-D18FB3.11325525022023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176892&group=rec.arts.tv#176892

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 11:32:55 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 19:32 UTC

In article <ttdil4$2khc2$1@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> M3GAN (Peacock) - This was as fun as I was hoping it would be, and was
> maybe slightly "deeper" than I was expecting.
> Allison Williams plays Gemma, a career-obsessed gal who is
> determined to design a functioning AI life-sized android "toy", though
> her boss (an amusing Ronny Chieng) thinks she's whacked.
> Gemma soon gets saddled with her niece Cady (Violet McGraw, who
> looks really familiar to me - I guess I know her from "Black Widow" and
> "Doctor Sleep"?) after Gemma's sister and husband die in a car accident
> (Cady was also in the car, but somehow received only minor injuries).
> Anyway, as Cady is a sad-sack orphan, Gemma redoubles her efforts
> with her two underlings (Jen Van Epps and Brian Jordan Alvarez, who IMO
> bares an uncanny resemblence to actor Michael Weston!) and manages to
> get a functioning prototype, "M3GAN", working.
> For the record, M3GAN's not creepy at all - oh no!! ;p
> Well, in her rush, Gemma must have forgotten to put Asimov's Three
> Laws of Robotics into M3GAN's AI code, so you know where this is going!
> - soon enough, M3GAN is taking *drastic* measures to "project" Cady,
> the human she's "paired" with, from *any and all* physical or emotional
> threats!
> Murderous wackiness ensues!!
> Oh, and M3GAN also becomes self-aware!
> This can't be good!!
> The flick seems to end hinting at a sequel, and sure enough one is
> in the works.

I fell asleep before getting to this. Maybe tonight.
> Violent Night (Peacock) - I was surprised to see that this was "rated"
> lower than M3GAN, and it turns out that that was right - while this was
> also fun, it wasn't as fun as M3GAN was...
> Arthur basically described this in his earlier review - Santa takes
> on some mercenary terrorist/thief-types who violently take over the
> mansion compound of one of the richest families around - Beverly
> D'Angelo plays the mean, tough-as-nails matriarch of the family - in
> order to break into the mansion's vault, which contains hundreds of
> millions of dollar$!

Wow, that almost sounds like the plot to DIE HARD. Did ya notice when
Santa was opening the presents, looking for a weapon, he unwrapped a
Blu-Ray of DIE HARD?

> Unfortunately for them, the real Santa Claus (David Harbour
> obviously had fun with this one) just happens to be on-site when the
> EVOL!!1! mercenaries, led by a scenery-chewing John Leguizamo, take
> over. And when one of the thugs scuffles with Santa, the reindeer are
> scared off, stranding Santa.
> Will Santa save this mostly-rotten richie-rich family? - Is it
> Christmas?!!
> I also like how one sequence basically replays "Home Alone", but
> with *realistic consequences*, and not the "cartoon violence" of the
> original "Home Alone".
> There are a couple of problems with this one. Firstly, it spends too
> much time with the family, and not enough time on Santa - though we do
> get a vague backstory on "Santa" (and he started ot on the "Naughty"
> list! though it's never explained how he got tapped to be Santa...; we
> also never see "Mrs. Claus", though she is referenced repeatedly).
> Secondly, the film tries to have its cake and eat it too - effectively
> spoofing "Christmas movies", while at the same time trying to be a
> Christmas movie - I would have preferred it if they had just played it
> as a straighter "action-comedy" flick without the overt "Christmas
> movie" angle.
> But, still - this was a decent ride.

It also has-- amazingly-- one of best musical scores of the last five
years or so. The composer weaves traditional Christmas tune themes
through some of the most intricate action cues I've heard in a long
time. I went right to the iTunes and downloaded the album.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<116431348.699059265.209704.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176925&group=rec.arts.tv#176925

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 16:08:34 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 23:08 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <ttdil4$2khc2$1@dont-email.me>,
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> M3GAN (Peacock) - This was as fun as I was hoping it would be, and was
>> maybe slightly "deeper" than I was expecting.
>> Allison Williams plays Gemma, a career-obsessed gal who is
>> determined to design a functioning AI life-sized android "toy", though
>> her boss (an amusing Ronny Chieng) thinks she's whacked.
>> Gemma soon gets saddled with her niece Cady (Violet McGraw, who
>> looks really familiar to me - I guess I know her from "Black Widow" and
>> "Doctor Sleep"?) after Gemma's sister and husband die in a car accident
>> (Cady was also in the car, but somehow received only minor injuries).
>> Anyway, as Cady is a sad-sack orphan, Gemma redoubles her efforts
>> with her two underlings (Jen Van Epps and Brian Jordan Alvarez, who IMO
>> bares an uncanny resemblence to actor Michael Weston!) and manages to
>> get a functioning prototype, "M3GAN", working.
>> For the record, M3GAN's not creepy at all - oh no!! ;p
>> Well, in her rush, Gemma must have forgotten to put Asimov's Three
>> Laws of Robotics into M3GAN's AI code, so you know where this is going!
>> - soon enough, M3GAN is taking *drastic* measures to "project" Cady,
>> the human she's "paired" with, from *any and all* physical or emotional
>> threats!
>> Murderous wackiness ensues!!
>> Oh, and M3GAN also becomes self-aware!
>> This can't be good!!
>> The flick seems to end hinting at a sequel, and sure enough one is
>> in the works.
>
> I fell asleep before getting to this. Maybe tonight.

I enjoyed it. It’s the feel good family film of the summer!

>> Violent Night (Peacock) - I was surprised to see that this was "rated"
>> lower than M3GAN, and it turns out that that was right - while this was
>> also fun, it wasn't as fun as M3GAN was...
>> Arthur basically described this in his earlier review - Santa takes
>> on some mercenary terrorist/thief-types who violently take over the
>> mansion compound of one of the richest families around - Beverly
>> D'Angelo plays the mean, tough-as-nails matriarch of the family - in
>> order to break into the mansion's vault, which contains hundreds of
>> millions of dollar$!
>
> Wow, that almost sounds like the plot to DIE HARD. Did ya notice when
> Santa was opening the presents, looking for a weapon, he unwrapped a
> Blu-Ray of DIE HARD?
>
>> Unfortunately for them, the real Santa Claus (David Harbour
>> obviously had fun with this one) just happens to be on-site when the
>> EVOL!!1! mercenaries, led by a scenery-chewing John Leguizamo, take
>> over. And when one of the thugs scuffles with Santa, the reindeer are
>> scared off, stranding Santa.
>> Will Santa save this mostly-rotten richie-rich family? - Is it
>> Christmas?!!
>> I also like how one sequence basically replays "Home Alone", but
>> with *realistic consequences*, and not the "cartoon violence" of the
>> original "Home Alone".
>> There are a couple of problems with this one. Firstly, it spends too
>> much time with the family, and not enough time on Santa - though we do
>> get a vague backstory on "Santa" (and he started ot on the "Naughty"
>> list! though it's never explained how he got tapped to be Santa...; we
>> also never see "Mrs. Claus", though she is referenced repeatedly).
>> Secondly, the film tries to have its cake and eat it too - effectively
>> spoofing "Christmas movies", while at the same time trying to be a
>> Christmas movie - I would have preferred it if they had just played it
>> as a straighter "action-comedy" flick without the overt "Christmas
>> movie" angle.
>> But, still - this was a decent ride.
>
> It also has-- amazingly-- one of best musical scores of the last five
> years or so. The composer weaves traditional Christmas tune themes
> through some of the most intricate action cues I've heard in a long
> time. I went right to the iTunes and downloaded the album.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<ttec8n$2ndap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176940&group=rec.arts.tv#176940

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:22:23 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 01:22 UTC

On 2/25/2023 11:32 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <ttdil4$2khc2$1@dont-email.me>,
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> M3GAN (Peacock) - This was as fun as I was hoping it would be, and was
>> maybe slightly "deeper" than I was expecting.

Deep?!? Um, OK.

>> Allison Williams plays Gemma, a career-obsessed gal who is
>> determined to design a functioning AI life-sized android "toy", though
>> her boss (an amusing Ronny Chieng) thinks she's whacked.
>> Gemma soon gets saddled with her niece Cady (Violet McGraw, who
>> looks really familiar to me - I guess I know her from "Black Widow" and
>> "Doctor Sleep"?) after Gemma's sister and husband die in a car accident
>> (Cady was also in the car, but somehow received only minor injuries).
>> Anyway, as Cady is a sad-sack orphan, Gemma redoubles her efforts
>> with her two underlings (Jen Van Epps and Brian Jordan Alvarez, who IMO
>> bares an uncanny resemblence to actor Michael Weston!) and manages to
>> get a functioning prototype, "M3GAN", working.
>> For the record, M3GAN's not creepy at all - oh no!! ;p
>> Well, in her rush, Gemma must have forgotten to put Asimov's Three
>> Laws of Robotics into M3GAN's AI code, so you know where this is going!
>> - soon enough, M3GAN is taking *drastic* measures to "project" Cady,
>> the human she's "paired" with, from *any and all* physical or emotional
>> threats!
>> Murderous wackiness ensues!!
>> Oh, and M3GAN also becomes self-aware!
>> This can't be good!!
>> The flick seems to end hinting at a sequel, and sure enough one is
>> in the works.
>
> I fell asleep before getting to this. Maybe tonight.
>
>> Violent Night (Peacock) - I was surprised to see that this was "rated"
>> lower than M3GAN, and it turns out that that was right - while this was
>> also fun, it wasn't as fun as M3GAN was...
>> Arthur basically described this in his earlier review - Santa takes
>> on some mercenary terrorist/thief-types who violently take over the
>> mansion compound of one of the richest families around - Beverly
>> D'Angelo plays the mean, tough-as-nails matriarch of the family - in
>> order to break into the mansion's vault, which contains hundreds of
>> millions of dollar$!
>
> Wow, that almost sounds like the plot to DIE HARD. Did ya notice when
> Santa was opening the presents, looking for a weapon, he unwrapped a
> Blu-Ray of DIE HARD?

I completely missed that! There's no hiding the movie is a clear remake
of Die Hard!

>> Unfortunately for them, the real Santa Claus (David Harbour
>> obviously had fun with this one) just happens to be on-site when the
>> EVOL!!1! mercenaries, led by a scenery-chewing John Leguizamo, take
>> over. And when one of the thugs scuffles with Santa, the reindeer are
>> scared off, stranding Santa.
>> Will Santa save this mostly-rotten richie-rich family? - Is it
>> Christmas?!!
>> I also like how one sequence basically replays "Home Alone", but
>> with *realistic consequences*, and not the "cartoon violence" of the
>> original "Home Alone".
>> There are a couple of problems with this one. Firstly, it spends too
>> much time with the family, and not enough time on Santa - though we do
>> get a vague backstory on "Santa" (and he started ot on the "Naughty"
>> list! though it's never explained how he got tapped to be Santa...; we
>> also never see "Mrs. Claus", though she is referenced repeatedly).
>> Secondly, the film tries to have its cake and eat it too - effectively
>> spoofing "Christmas movies", while at the same time trying to be a
>> Christmas movie - I would have preferred it if they had just played it
>> as a straighter "action-comedy" flick without the overt "Christmas
>> movie" angle.

Track down "Fatman" starring Mel Gibson as Santa Claus. It's basically
the full movie version of the opening sequence in "Scrooged."

>> But, still - this was a decent ride.
>
> It also has-- amazingly-- one of best musical scores of the last five
> years or so. The composer weaves traditional Christmas tune themes
> through some of the most intricate action cues I've heard in a long
> time. I went right to the iTunes and downloaded the album.

This is a two day catch up. I watched:

Law & Order - "Fear and Loathing" - I completely lost track of what was
going on in this one. Something to do with a murdered doctor I think.
Meanwhile Shaw has to deal with corruption on the force.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - "King of the Moon" - Mariska
Hargitay directs this Emmy bait episode which stars Bradley Whitford as
a man with dementia who confesses to murdering his wife. Except team
SVU don't believe his confession.

The Consultant (Amazon Prime Streaming) - I binged through the first
three episodes of this new...comedy?...thriller? I don't know how to
classify it, but it stars Christoph Waltz (the *only* reason to watch!)
as a mysterious consultant who shows up at a tech company the day after
the CEO is murdered. Waltz claims to be a consultant who was hired
shortly before the boss was killed and he essentially installs himself
in charge of the company with the shocked employees not sure what to
make of him. But very quickly it becomes clear Waltz is a sociopath!
An example of the weirdness that happens in this series (so far) is in
episode 3 Waltz takes one of the employees out for drinks. The employee
discovers that Waltz has someone tied in a sack in the back of the car
who is struggling and screaming for help. Waltz expects the employee to
just ignore this as they drive on. But when the employee frees the
victim and they run off, Waltz then claims the person was a drug addict
that he was trying to help get clean. Lots of weirdness like that in
this show. I still don't know what to make of it. I can't fully
recommend it, but again, if you like Waltz it's worth watching just for him.

Cocaine Bear (theatrical) New horror comedy directed by Elizabeth Banks
and starring Keri Russell, O'Shea Jackson Jr. and Ray Liotta in one of
his final roles. Very loosely based on real events. In real life there
was cocaine and there was a bear and that's about it! As I was saying,
very loosely based on real events, drug smugglers dump cocaine out of an
aircraft then crash. A bear gets into the coke and becomes hopelessly
addicted to it. The bear then goes on a very bloody "R" rated rampage
looking for more coke. Thrown into the mix are various victims,
including Russell who is looking for her missing daughter and young
friend who stumbled upon the bear and the drug dealers (lead by Liotta)
who wants his coke back. The movie is about a bear that does coke then
kills people, so you sort of know what you're going to get when you buy
your ticket! But I wasn't prepared for how graphically violent it could
be at times. Nevertheless if you're into movies about bears ripping
people to shreds while high on coke, then this is the movie for you!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<j4elvhdjk959g0a2c2h3ct5rm4oi186r9n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176941&group=rec.arts.tv#176941

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:42:42 -0500
 by: shawn - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 01:42 UTC

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:22:23 -0800, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 2/25/2023 11:32 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> In article <ttdil4$2khc2$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>

>This is a two day catch up. I watched:
>

>Law & Order - "Fear and Loathing" - I completely lost track of what was
>going on in this one. Something to do with a murdered doctor I think.
>Meanwhile Shaw has to deal with corruption on the force.
>

>Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - "King of the Moon" - Mariska
>Hargitay directs this Emmy bait episode which stars Bradley Whitford as
>a man with dementia who confesses to murdering his wife. Except team
>SVU don't believe his confession.
>

>The Consultant (Amazon Prime Streaming) - I binged through the first
>three episodes of this new...comedy?...thriller? I don't know how to
>classify it, but it stars Christoph Waltz (the *only* reason to watch!)
>as a mysterious consultant who shows up at a tech company the day after
>the CEO is murdered.

I've only watched the first episode of this but I think it's
classified as horror. At least that was the way I saw it classified.
Time will tell.

>Waltz claims to be a consultant who was hired
>shortly before the boss was killed and he essentially installs himself
>in charge of the company with the shocked employees not sure what to
>make of him. But very quickly it becomes clear Waltz is a sociopath!
>An example of the weirdness that happens in this series (so far) is in
>episode 3 Waltz takes one of the employees out for drinks. The employee
>discovers that Waltz has someone tied in a sack in the back of the car
>who is struggling and screaming for help. Waltz expects the employee to
>just ignore this as they drive on. But when the employee frees the
>victim and they run off, Waltz then claims the person was a drug addict
>that he was trying to help get clean. Lots of weirdness like that in
>this show. I still don't know what to make of it. I can't fully
>recommend it, but again, if you like Waltz it's worth watching just for him.
>

>Cocaine Bear (theatrical) New horror comedy directed by Elizabeth Banks
>and starring Keri Russell, O'Shea Jackson Jr. and Ray Liotta in one of
>his final roles. Very loosely based on real events. In real life there
>was cocaine and there was a bear and that's about it! As I was saying,
>very loosely based on real events, drug smugglers dump cocaine out of an
>aircraft then crash. A bear gets into the coke and becomes hopelessly
>addicted to it. The bear then goes on a very bloody "R" rated rampage
>looking for more coke. Thrown into the mix are various victims,
>including Russell who is looking for her missing daughter and young
>friend who stumbled upon the bear and the drug dealers (lead by Liotta)
>who wants his coke back. The movie is about a bear that does coke then
>kills people, so you sort of know what you're going to get when you buy
>your ticket! But I wasn't prepared for how graphically violent it could
>be at times. Nevertheless if you're into movies about bears ripping
>people to shreds while high on coke, then this is the movie for you!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<ttedon$2ni2l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176943&group=rec.arts.tv#176943

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:48:07 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 01:48 UTC

On 2023-02-26 01:22:23 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> Cocaine Bear (theatrical) New horror comedy directed by Elizabeth Banks
> and starring Keri Russell, O'Shea Jackson Jr. and Ray Liotta in one of
> his final roles. Very loosely based on real events. In real life
> there was cocaine and there was a bear and that's about it! As I was
> saying, very loosely based on real events, drug smugglers dump cocaine
> out of an aircraft then crash. A bear gets into the coke and becomes
> hopelessly addicted to it. The bear then goes on a very bloody "R"
> rated rampage looking for more coke. Thrown into the mix are various
> victims, including Russell who is looking for her missing daughter and
> young friend who stumbled upon the bear and the drug dealers (lead by
> Liotta) who wants his coke back. The movie is about a bear that does
> coke then kills people, so you sort of know what you're going to get
> when you buy your ticket! But I wasn't prepared for how graphically
> violent it could be at times. Nevertheless if you're into movies about
> bears ripping people to shreds while high on coke, then this is the
> movie for you!

Just tell me when it comes to a streamer I get!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<Lqycnfp6_ZdTXWf-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176949&group=rec.arts.tv#176949

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 02:15:42 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 02:15 UTC

On Feb 25, 2023 at 5:22:23 PM PST, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Law & Order - "Fear and Loathing" - I completely lost track of what was
> going on in this one. Something to do with a murdered doctor I think.
> Meanwhile Shaw has to deal with corruption on the force.

They kept saying Shaw broke some NYPD policy when he didn't obey the patrol
cops' orders to get on the ground. I'd really like to see that section of the
manual that allows a patrol cop to order around detectives and anyone else who
outranks them and punishes the superior officer for not obeying.

I mean, could Edit jam up Magnum if she ordered him to the ground and he said,
"I'm the damn police commissioner, for frak's sake" and didn't kiss the
sidewalk when she told him to?

> Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - "King of the Moon" - Mariska
> Hargitay directs this Emmy bait episode which stars Bradley Whitford as
> a man with dementia who confesses to murdering his wife. Except team
> SVU don't believe his confession.

The whole thing was Valasco just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. Does
NYPD have no background check process for hiring people as cops? Apparently
not, since a Mexican drug cartel sicario ended up as a SVU detective.

> Cocaine Bear (theatrical) New horror comedy directed by Elizabeth Banks
> and starring Keri Russell, O'Shea Jackson Jr. and Ray Liotta in one of
> his final roles. Very loosely based on real events. In real life there
> was cocaine and there was a bear and that's about it! As I was saying,
> very loosely based on real events, drug smugglers dump cocaine out of an
> aircraft then crash. A bear gets into the coke and becomes hopelessly
> addicted to it. The bear then goes on a very bloody "R" rated rampage
> looking for more coke. Thrown into the mix are various victims,
> including Russell who is looking for her missing daughter and young
> friend who stumbled upon the bear and the drug dealers (lead by Liotta)
> who wants his coke back. The movie is about a bear that does coke then
> kills people, so you sort of know what you're going to get when you buy
> your ticket! But I wasn't prepared for how graphically violent it could
> be at times. Nevertheless if you're into movies about bears ripping
> people to shreds while high on coke, then this is the movie for you!

I find that I am into movies about that but I had no idea until now!

Law & Order "Fear and Loathing" 2/23/2023 (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday))

<tteioo$2qqn0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176954&group=rec.arts.tv#176954

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Law & Order "Fear and Loathing" 2/23/2023 (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday))
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 03:13:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 03:13 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>Feb 25, 2023 5:22:23 PM PST, Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>:

>>Law & Order - "Fear and Loathing" - I completely lost track of what was
>>going on in this one. Something to do with a murdered doctor I think.
>>Meanwhile Shaw has to deal with corruption on the force.

>They kept saying Shaw broke some NYPD policy when he didn't obey the patrol
>cops' orders to get on the ground. I'd really like to see that section of the
>manual that allows a patrol cop to order around detectives and anyone else who
>outranks them and punishes the superior officer for not obeying.

I'm nominating the episode as the single worst episode of the revived
series. Couldn't the writers have made it slightly more nuanced, perhaps
the murder suspect truly was a tall well dressed black guy? It's
impossible to believe they wouldn't have let him present his badge.

Do you realize they were willing to shoot him and he hadn't yet given
the woke lecture?

How did you like the corrupt internal affairs officer, covering up
for all that crap?

That criminal case was over-the-top stupid. Once again, I don't think
Maroun had a line of dialogue.

>I mean, could Edit jam up Magnum if she ordered him to the ground and he said,
>"I'm the damn police commissioner, for frak's sake" and didn't kiss the
>sidewalk when she told him to?

Hahahahaha

>>. . .

Re: Law & Order "Fear and Loathing" 2/23/2023 (was: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday))

<z4ycnYSAg_IYTWf-nZ2dnZfqn_QAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176956&group=rec.arts.tv#176956

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 03:22:45 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 03:22 UTC

On Feb 25, 2023 at 7:13:28 PM PST, ""Adam H. Kerman"" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> Feb 25, 2023 5:22:23 PM PST, Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>:
>
>>> Law & Order - "Fear and Loathing" - I completely lost track of what was
>>> going on in this one. Something to do with a murdered doctor I think.
>>> Meanwhile Shaw has to deal with corruption on the force.
>
>> They kept saying Shaw broke some NYPD policy when he didn't obey the patrol
>> cops' orders to get on the ground. I'd really like to see that section of the
>> manual that allows a patrol cop to order around detectives and anyone else
>> who
>> outranks them and punishes the superior officer for not obeying.
>
> I'm nominating the episode as the single worst episode of the revived
> series. Couldn't the writers have made it slightly more nuanced, perhaps
> the murder suspect truly was a tall well dressed black guy? It's
> impossible to believe they wouldn't have let him present his badge.
>
> Do you realize they were willing to shoot him and he hadn't yet given
> the woke lecture?
>
> How did you like the corrupt internal affairs officer, covering up
> for all that crap?
>
> That criminal case was over-the-top stupid. Once again, I don't think
> Maroun had a line of dialogue.

Gotta love Price making offers of proof IN FRONT OF THE JURY. And him and the
defense attorney arguing a relevance objection IN FRONT OF THE JURY.

Jeezus wept...

>> I mean, could Edit jam up Magnum if she ordered him to the ground and he
>> said,
>> "I'm the damn police commissioner, for frak's sake" and didn't kiss the
>> sidewalk when she told him to?
>
> Hahahahaha

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<ttenbm$2r6k6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176966&group=rec.arts.tv#176966

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:31:54 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 04:31 UTC

On 2/25/2023 3:08 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> In article <ttdil4$2khc2$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> M3GAN (Peacock) - This was as fun as I was hoping it would be, and was
>>> maybe slightly "deeper" than I was expecting.
>>> Allison Williams plays Gemma, a career-obsessed gal who is
>>> determined to design a functioning AI life-sized android "toy", though
>>> her boss (an amusing Ronny Chieng) thinks she's whacked.
>>> Gemma soon gets saddled with her niece Cady (Violet McGraw, who
>>> looks really familiar to me - I guess I know her from "Black Widow" and
>>> "Doctor Sleep"?) after Gemma's sister and husband die in a car accident
>>> (Cady was also in the car, but somehow received only minor injuries).
>>> Anyway, as Cady is a sad-sack orphan, Gemma redoubles her efforts
>>> with her two underlings (Jen Van Epps and Brian Jordan Alvarez, who IMO
>>> bares an uncanny resemblence to actor Michael Weston!) and manages to
>>> get a functioning prototype, "M3GAN", working.
>>> For the record, M3GAN's not creepy at all - oh no!! ;p
>>> Well, in her rush, Gemma must have forgotten to put Asimov's Three
>>> Laws of Robotics into M3GAN's AI code, so you know where this is going!
>>> - soon enough, M3GAN is taking *drastic* measures to "project" Cady,
>>> the human she's "paired" with, from *any and all* physical or emotional
>>> threats!
>>> Murderous wackiness ensues!!
>>> Oh, and M3GAN also becomes self-aware!
>>> This can't be good!!
>>> The flick seems to end hinting at a sequel, and sure enough one is
>>> in the works.
>>
>> I fell asleep before getting to this. Maybe tonight.
>
> I enjoyed it. It’s the feel good family film of the summer!

There was a family left at the end of it?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<48acnZvdHutjl2b-nZ2dnZfqnPcAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176992&group=rec.arts.tv#176992

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 07:32:14 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 07:32 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> M3GAN (Peacock) - This was as fun as I was hoping it would be, and was
> maybe slightly "deeper" than I was expecting.
> Allison Williams plays Gemma, a career-obsessed gal who is
> determined to design a functioning AI life-sized android "toy", though
> her boss (an amusing Ronny Chieng) thinks she's whacked.
> Gemma soon gets saddled with her niece Cady (Violet McGraw, who
> looks really familiar to me - I guess I know her from "Black Widow" and
> "Doctor Sleep"?) after Gemma's sister and husband die in a car accident
> (Cady was also in the car, but somehow received only minor injuries).
> Anyway, as Cady is a sad-sack orphan, Gemma redoubles her efforts
> with her two underlings (Jen Van Epps and Brian Jordan Alvarez, who IMO
> bares an uncanny resemblence to actor Michael Weston!) and manages to
> get a functioning prototype, "M3GAN", working.
> For the record, M3GAN's not creepy at all - oh no!! ;p
> Well, in her rush, Gemma must have forgotten to put Asimov's Three
> Laws of Robotics into M3GAN's AI code, so you know where this is going!
> - soon enough, M3GAN is taking *drastic* measures to "project" Cady,
> the human she's "paired" with, from *any and all* physical or emotional
> threats!
> Murderous wackiness ensues!!
> Oh, and M3GAN also becomes self-aware!
> This can't be good!!
> The flick seems to end hinting at a sequel, and sure enough one is
> in the works.

So I watched this tonight and my main question throughout the movie was why
in the blue fuck did they design a robot that's supposed to be a kid's
companion with the strength and speed of a T-800 series Terminator?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<835691711.699092606.020914.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176993&group=rec.arts.tv#176993

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 01:38:42 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 08:38 UTC

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> M3GAN (Peacock) - This was as fun as I was hoping it would be, and was
>> maybe slightly "deeper" than I was expecting.
>> Allison Williams plays Gemma, a career-obsessed gal who is
>> determined to design a functioning AI life-sized android "toy", though
>> her boss (an amusing Ronny Chieng) thinks she's whacked.
>> Gemma soon gets saddled with her niece Cady (Violet McGraw, who
>> looks really familiar to me - I guess I know her from "Black Widow" and
>> "Doctor Sleep"?) after Gemma's sister and husband die in a car accident
>> (Cady was also in the car, but somehow received only minor injuries).
>> Anyway, as Cady is a sad-sack orphan, Gemma redoubles her efforts
>> with her two underlings (Jen Van Epps and Brian Jordan Alvarez, who IMO
>> bares an uncanny resemblence to actor Michael Weston!) and manages to
>> get a functioning prototype, "M3GAN", working.
>> For the record, M3GAN's not creepy at all - oh no!! ;p
>> Well, in her rush, Gemma must have forgotten to put Asimov's Three
>> Laws of Robotics into M3GAN's AI code, so you know where this is going!
>> - soon enough, M3GAN is taking *drastic* measures to "project" Cady,
>> the human she's "paired" with, from *any and all* physical or emotional
>> threats!
>> Murderous wackiness ensues!!
>> Oh, and M3GAN also becomes self-aware!
>> This can't be good!!
>> The flick seems to end hinting at a sequel, and sure enough one is
>> in the works.
>
> So I watched this tonight and my main question throughout the movie was why
> in the blue fuck did they design a robot that's supposed to be a kid's
> companion with the strength and speed of a T-800 series Terminator?

Not to mention, she’d have to weigh so much to do some of the things she
did that she would have broken the springs in a regular car when they put
her inside. So apparently she must be drawing additional mass on demand
like the Hulk.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<927535397.699092737.961873.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=176994&group=rec.arts.tv#176994

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 01:38:43 -0700

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 2/25/2023 3:08 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> I fell asleep before getting to this. Maybe tonight.
>>
>> I enjoyed it. It’s the feel good family film of the summer!
>>
> There was a family left at the end of it?

Only those who deserved to die, died.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<ttg8vv$2vu7o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177071&group=rec.arts.tv#177071

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:38:57 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 18:38 UTC

On 2/26/2023 12:38 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> I enjoyed it. It’s the feel good family film of the summer!
>>>
>> There was a family left at the end of it?
>>

> Only those who deserved to die, died.

So everyone dies. Got it.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)

<2177ad96-693f-4919-adce-0b5efa9a9993n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177121&group=rec.arts.tv#177121

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 14:25:11 -0800 (PST)
From: justinek...@gmail.com (Justine Kent)
 by: Justine Kent - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 22:25 UTC

BUY LIBERTY CAPS - LIBERTY CAPS FOR SALE ONLINE-LIBERTY CAPS FOR SALE

buy liberty caps online, liberty caps for sale online, best liberty caps for sale, liberty caps magic mushrooms for sale online, buy liberty caps online in USA, buy liberty caps online at a cheap price.

What is a liberty cap? Put simply, it is a species of psilocybin mushroom, known as Psilocybe semilanceata.

Liberty caps are one of the most widely popular psilocybin mushrooms in nature and one of the most potent.

https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/index.php/product/liberty-caps-for-sale/

They have a recognizable appearance (reflected in the name “liberty cap”), and the first documented account of their psychoactive effects is an interesting one

LIBERTY CAPS FOR SALE

https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/index.php/product/liberty-caps-for-sale/

The cap of Psilocybe semilanceata is 5-30 mm in diameter and 6-22 mm tall.

They vary in shape from sharply conical to bell-shaped, often with a prominent papilla (the nipple-shaped structure).

https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/index.php/product/liberty-caps-for-sale/

https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/5-meo-dmt-cart-5ml-purecybin/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/albino-avery-magic-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/albino-penis-envy-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/ayahuasca-powder/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/b-magic-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/blue-meanie-magic-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-4-aco-dmt-online/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-5-meo-dmt/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-ecstasy-pills-online/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-lizard-king-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-lsd-acid/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-lsd-gel-tabs/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-tidal-wave-shrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-wavy-cap-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/changa-dmt/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/dmt-carts/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/dmt-powder/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/dmt-vape-pens/https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/golden-teacher-magic-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/kratom-powder/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/liberty-caps-for-sale/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/lsd-liquid/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/magic-mushroom-microdose-capsules/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/melmac-penis-envy-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/mimosa-hostilis-root-backmhrb

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-02-24 (Friday)