Newsgroups: or.politics,seattle.politics,ca.politics,alt.law-enforcement,alt.economics,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: NY_migrant_crisis_spending_—which_is_at_nearly_
$2 billion — is ‘unsustainable,’ Hochul sa
ys
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 19:36:04 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 02:36 UTC

So, why was she not caring, when for years Texas had to bear the burden?
Yeah, typical Democrat NIMBY !

from
https://nypost.com/2023/10/30/metro/ny-migrant-crisis-spending-which-is-at-nearly-2-billion-is-unsustainable-gov-says/

NY migrant crisis spending —which is at nearly $2 billion — is
‘unsustainable,’ Hochul says
By Haley Brown, Vaughn Golden and Steve Janoski
Published Oct. 30, 2023, 4:58 p.m. ET

MORE ON:
MIGRANTS
Homeland security boss admits 600K illegal ‘gotaways’ crossed border in
2023, calls immigration system ‘broken’
Get serious, Mr. Mayor: Move to truly END the ‘right to shelter’
Biden admin secretly let in thousands of unvetted migrants from
‘countries of national security concern’

New York’s massive spending on the migrant crisis — which state
officials say has hit nearly $2 billion — is “unsustainable” and cannot
continue forever, Gov. Kathy Hochul said Monday.

The figures include $1.5 billion that went directly to NYC to help the
Big Apple manage the flood of immigrants that have arrived in the city
in recent months.

It also includes about $358 million meant to cover the rental and
service costs at Floyd Bennett Field, case management costs and disease
screenings and immunizations, according to a Saturday memorandum from
the state’s budget division.

“We’ve already spent far more than we anticipated,” Hochul told
reporters Monday, noting that only about $1 billion was set aside for
migrant funding in the state budget.

“Since we’re paying almost half of the cost of housing already, as well
as the case management, legal services for helping people seek asylum,
building up the infrastructure for jobs, we’re approaching $2 billion
already this year,” the Democratic governor continued.

“So that’s $1 billion more than we anticipated. I’m just sending out the
alert, as our budget director said, that that rate is unsustainable.”

Gov. Hochul
6 Gov. Kathy Hochul said the state’s ability to shoulder the financial
load of unbridled immigration into the state is “unsustainable.”
AP
Migrants in line on the street.
6 The state has already spent nearly $2 billion on the burgeoning crisis,
the governor said.
James Keivom
The budget memo — sent by state budget division head Blake Washington
and first obtained by Politico — reiterated that the migrant crisis is
one of the biggest threats to the Empire State’s finances.

Especially given the $4.3 billion budget gap that the state must deal
with before the close of the fiscal year, Washington wrote.

“With the continued influx of migrants, no promises of financial support
from the Federal government, and no clear pathway to a wholesale policy
change at the Federal level to address the situation, New York State can
only shoulder this financial commitment for a limited duration without
putting other areas of the State budget at risk,” Washington said.

The state has also paid to set up shelters — like this one on Randall's
Island — that can house asylym seekers.
6 The state has also paid to set up shelters — like this one on Randalls
Island — that can house asylum seekers.
Potential casualties of the unbridled spending may include aid to public
schools, support for health delivery infrastructure and National Guard
funding, he added.

The budget director suggested limiting assistance to what he called
“targeted interventions,” such as legal services, case management and
finding migrants jobs.

What should potentially be on the chopping block? More costly services
like paying for indefinite hotel room stays, according to the memo.

Rows of cots at the Randalls Iskabd
6 The Randalls Island shelter has rows of cots for migrants to sleep on.
Stephen Yang for NY Post

Migrants gather outside the 30th Street men’s shelter in August 2022.
James Keivom
“New York’s ability to pay for these programs is not unlimited,” it said.

Hochul seemed to agree Monday, saying, “We cannot continue to be paying
for unlimited hotel rooms for people.”

The governor also said she supported Adams’ attempts to let people know
that the city is filled to capacity.

Gov. Hochul during a speech.
6 Hochul said the state’s taxpayers have already footed the nearly $2
billion bill.
Michael Brochstein/SOPA Images/Shutterstock
Although there will be more state support next year, the governor said
she wanted to manage expectations.

“I also have to manage an entire budget that funds education, health
care, child care and other services that New Yorkers want to make sure
are not cut,” Hochul said.