Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.censorship,alt.politics.eu
From: 25BZ...@nada.net (25.BX944)
Subject: Ukraine, Massacres, and the Truth Problem
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:27:31 -0400
 by: 25.BX944 - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 01:27 UTC

Remember when the internet/technology was supposed to
create a world where everybody would know everything ?

The Ukraine war is demonstrating one way where those
things make us know LESS.

The latest hot thing are Russian/Chechen massacres in
Ukrainian towns. Bodies, many with hands bound and a
hole in the head, line the streets. Hey, we have
PICTURES, VIDEO !

But DO we ? The technology to produce REALLY good
deepfake photos and videos is well distributed at
this point. The art of telling only part of the
truth is as unrestrained as ever. Fanaticism and
big govt money is involved.

Now do I think these massacres are fake ? No. But
what you and I think is far less important than
what the perpetrators, and victims, can cherrypick
to create vivid, yet contradictory, political
"truth". These "truths" are IMPORTANT, and POWERFUL
and can be used to shape global opinion and law.
Sometimes the difference between war and civvie
massacre can, in the hand of expert propagandists,
be biased by a few leading words.

Putin says the massacre pictures are fakes. Are you
really, 101% sure, they AREN'T ? We have nothing but
biased interests and witnesses here on BOTH sides
of the conflict. This creates a little "reasonable
doubt" and that has far-ranging consequences.

Re: Ukraine, Massacres, and the Truth Problem

<XnsAE72D5B09F627noemailcomcastnet@216.166.97.131>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18048&group=alt.politics#18048

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.censorship,alt.politics.eu
Subject: Re: Ukraine, Massacres, and the Truth Problem
From: noem...@verizon.net (Mitchell Holman)
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 21:06:15 -0500
 by: Mitchell Holman - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 02:06 UTC

"25.BX944" <25BZ494@nada.net> wrote in news:cLadnQ6PONoZEtL_nZ2dnUU7-
enNnZ2d@earthlink.com:

> Remember when the internet/technology was supposed to
> create a world where everybody would know everything ?
>
> The Ukraine war is demonstrating one way where those
> things make us know LESS.
>
> The latest hot thing are Russian/Chechen massacres in
> Ukrainian towns. Bodies, many with hands bound and a
> hole in the head, line the streets. Hey, we have
> PICTURES, VIDEO !
>
> But DO we ? The technology to produce REALLY good
> deepfake photos and videos is well distributed at
> this point. The art of telling only part of the
> truth is as unrestrained as ever. Fanaticism and
> big govt money is involved.
>
> Now do I think these massacres are fake ? No. But
> what you and I think is far less important than
> what the perpetrators, and victims, can cherrypick
> to create vivid, yet contradictory, political
> "truth". These "truths" are IMPORTANT, and POWERFUL
> and can be used to shape global opinion and law.
> Sometimes the difference between war and civvie
> massacre can, in the hand of expert propagandists,
> be biased by a few leading words.
>
> Putin says the massacre pictures are fakes. Are you
> really, 101% sure, they AREN'T ?

"Don't believe what you are seeing,
believe only what we tell you."

Hitler, Stalin, Putin, Trump.

"Just remember, what you are seeing and
what you are reading is not what's happening."
Donald Trump, July 24 2018