"Intelligence without character is a dangerous thing." -- G. Steinem

interests / soc.history.medieval / Re: Marriage and sex in the middle ages. - fill & subdue

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Marriage and sex in the middle ages. - fill & subduea425couple
`* Re: Marriage and sex in the middle ages. - fill & subduea425couple
 `* Re: Marriage and sex in the middle ages. - fill & subduea425couple
  `- Re: Marriage and sex in the middle ages. - fill & subdueWilliam Hyde

1
Re: Marriage and sex in the middle ages. - fill & subdue

<XiFOJ.125396$Rza5.83110@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1809&group=soc.history.medieval#1809

Subject: Re: Marriage and sex in the middle ages. - fill & subdue
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 19:42:46 -0800
 by: a425couple - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 03:42 UTC

On 2/14/2022 5:08 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> They were all doing it...!
> https://www.medievalists.net/2021/02/medieval-marital-sex/

Well Yeah!!!
They were exploring, and learning it was
a big Earth to try to fill up!

I'm a bit surprised that source did not
more clearly mention:

Genesis 1:28
God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply,
and fill the earth and subdue it; rule over the fish of the sea
and the birds of the air and every creature that crawls upon
the earth."

Genesis 9:1
And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, "Be fruitful
and multiply and fill the earth.

Genesis 9:19
These three were the sons of Noah, and from them the whole earth
was populated.

Genesis 35:11
And God told him, "I am God Almighty. Be fruitful and multiply.
A nation--even a company of nations--shall come from you, and
kings shall descend from you.

Re: Marriage and sex in the middle ages. - fill & subdue

<YrFOJ.59029$H_t7.3269@fx40.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1810&group=soc.history.medieval#1810

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 19:52:23 -0800
 by: a425couple - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 03:52 UTC

On 2/14/2022 7:42 PM, a425couple wrote:
> On 2/14/2022 5:08 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
>> They were all doing it...!
>> https://www.medievalists.net/2021/02/medieval-marital-sex/
>
> Well Yeah!!!
> They were exploring, and learning it was
> a big Earth to try to fill up!
>
> I'm a bit surprised that source did not
> more clearly mention:
>
> Genesis 1:28
> God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply,
> and fill the earth and subdue it; rule over the fish of the sea
> and the birds of the air and every creature that crawls upon
> the earth."

But then, for the modern contrarians,
here is a yammerhead that claims our modern
problems on Earth, are a result of an error
IN TRANSLATION !

read it at:
https://laetusinpraesens.org/musings/multiply.php

"Be Fruitful and Multiply"
the most tragic translation error?

Commentary
For the individual and the family, there are a number of
well-recognized reasons to seek to build up a family.
Personal security in later years and the need for labour
on the family land are not the least of them for subsistence
farmers the world over.

More questionable is the tendency of the major religions
to encourage large families. The cynical would argue that
this is an easy policy whereby the numbers of the faithful
can be increased with little investment in missionary activity.
But the faithful are reassured by holy scripture and notably,
for the people of the Book, by the key phrase "be fruitful
and multiply" (Genesis 1:28) .
------

(An 'alternative view' !! Yeah, right!)

Re: Marriage and sex in the middle ages. - fill & subdue

<Z_UOJ.39724$3jp8.27535@fx33.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1814&group=soc.history.medieval#1814

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 13:33:45 -0800
 by: a425couple - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 21:33 UTC

On 2/14/2022 11:04 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 19:52:23 -0800, a425couple
> <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> But then, for the modern contrarians,
>> here is a yammerhead that claims our modern
>> problems on Earth, are a result of an error
>> IN TRANSLATION !
>>
>> read it at:
>> https://laetusinpraesens.org/musings/multiply.php
>>

>> "Be Fruitful and Multiply"
>> the most tragic translation error?
>>
>> Commentary
>> For the individual and the family, there are a number of
>> well-recognized reasons to seek to build up a family.
>> Personal security in later years and the need for labour
>> on the family land are not the least of them for subsistence
>> farmers the world over.
>>
>> More questionable is the tendency of the major religions
>> to encourage large families. ---
>
> I just went "oh yeah" since obviously we're here reading this so
> SOMETHING had to have happened to maintain the circle of life.
>
> Break it at any point and we're not here. Had my wife died in infancy
> (as she very nearly did) my children would have had a different
> mother. One very strange and unusual thing I did not learn until I was
> married is that while I knew that my mother and wife came from VERY
> different backgrounds, they were both named after aunts who had died
> in childhood.

As to
> SOMETHING had to have happened to maintain the circle of life.,

Yeah. I have trouble thinking that we would know anything
about a Medieval, or Ancient tribe or culture,
that had totally fallen under the teachings of their
leader Greta Thornbird, in being determined to
create no children, consume nothing, alter nothing
and try hard not to leave any signs of their existence.

Re: Marriage and sex in the middle ages. - fill & subdue

<ff1532cc-ab63-4511-910d-5ede1c46355fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1816&group=soc.history.medieval#1816

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 14:59:13 -0800 (PST)
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 22:59 UTC

On Tuesday, February 15, 2022 at 11:48:01 PM UTC-5, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2022 13:33:45 -0800, a425couple
> <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >As to
> > > SOMETHING had to have happened to maintain the circle of life.,
> >
> >Yeah. I have trouble thinking that we would know anything
> >about a Medieval, or Ancient tribe or culture,
> >that had totally fallen under the teachings of their
> >leader Greta Thornbird, in being determined to
> >create no children, consume nothing, alter nothing
> >and try hard not to leave any signs of their existence.
> >

> Well she's just a subset of the larger society. After all we know
> about the Roman Vestal Virgins though if they really were as
> advertised they didn't produce too many kids

The position of Vestal Virgin need not be for life. Girls were selected between the ages of six and ten, from suitably upper-class families. For ten years they studied, for ten years they practiced, and for ten years they taught new girls.

At that point they were free to leave, marry, and have children, though biologically they didn't have long to do that. Many remained Vestals. Among other things, Vestals had civil rights which were almost the same as those of men, particularly when it came to control of property. If they married, they lost that.

While still serving, a vestal faced dire punishment for violating her oath. Since nobody wanted the curse that might come from actually executing one, they were led into an underground room, with a table, a chair, a cup of water and a crust of bread, and were walled in. The men's punishment was more painful, perhaps, but briefer. So few Vestals gave birth while actually serving.

- though there were
> plenty of other Romans who did to pass on the story of them

Upper class families in the later republic had few children, so as to concentrate the wealth, and because the wives didn't want them. A wife was expected to have kids until she bore one son, there her duty ended. The father might have a number of other children by slaves, though.

Of course, given disease, and the fact that upper class men were expected to serve in war, one sometimes became none. By the late republic the patrician class was thin on the ground, and even the plebeian nobility was not as numerous as it might have been. Augustus actually had to make new patricians to fill certain offices, something that was extremely rare in the republic (I can only think of the Claudians as an example).

William Hyde